Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Now that Port have confirmed the Prison Bars will be worn for the Showdowns next year, I'd like to see the Crows wear a replica of a SA State of Origin guernsey against them but not with the names on it like that failed attempt in 2014
View attachment 727216

I would also like them to wheel out a version of the 1930 SA guernsey for maybe the away Showdown or go back to their 1991 guernsey
Adelaide-State-Meme.png

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Something simple.

GWS when they wear the predominant orange (with charcoal blue etc) why don’t they make their numbers white?

Would look much better.

(ps feeds into my long campaign to have Collingwood jumpers with black numbers on white background as looks superior and far easier to see at games and on TV)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
IIRC - Gold Coast originally planned to not have a moniker - to let it develop organically while existing as Gold Coast Football Club, but then a year later they decided they were the suns, and organic growth did not occur in any regard.

They started their existence in the TAC Cup, then the VFL, the Giants followed a similar path except playing in the NEAFL instead of the VFL.

At the time, when they competed to ready their rookie squad for the AFL - as I’m sure all of us remember - they wore jumpers indicative of a blank canvas, as teams in the midst of formation - the difference here is that GWS actually built a brand from there, they ditched the home brand blue jumper/white V/footy logo for an actual identity that represents their stake of Sydney.

Gold Coast set a poor precedent in mostly all regards - they’ve basically never changed their look, other than that their jumper was gold in the TAC Cup then red in the VFL - they’ve held on to this identity-lacking design for a decade now while keeping the side panels they added in 2011, which was in-vogue at the time.

So for me, that’s the best explanation as to why GC17 look so s**t. They wear the strip of an expansion team exploratory committee that has yet to develop an identity, and have done for 10 years.

It’s like if an Olympic Bid was successful then never adapted an event logo - just sticking with what won them the bidding process.

Correct. They originally launched as “Gold Coast Football Club” and made a point of not having a nickname etc, saying it would grow. It’s often forgotten.

Then out of nowhere came this “Suns” garbage.

Most clubs change the template every 2-3 years.

Or in the case of the Cats, we've had template/logo/manufacturer changes ever year since 2016.

I'm not sure what I'd rather, constant change or the status quo. I guess with the constant change everything's fresh and new, whereas the status quo can get boring after a while

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, i guess, i wanted a traditional look
Sadly it has the same issue as most designs that try to incorporate all 3 colours. If you have a mostly red design, it's very hard to avoid looking like a Fitzroy jumper and if you have too much blue it ends up looking like an Adelaide jumper.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sadly it has the same issue as most designs that try to incorporate all 3 colours. If you have a mostly red design, it's very hard to avoid looking like a Fitzroy jumper and if you have too much blue it ends up looking like an Adelaide jumper.
Answer is easy. Change the colours. They are Gold Coast so I expect Gold, then maybe light blue (same as NSW state of origin?). They would clash with no one ever, so could build brand by being instantly recognisable, never having to wear a clash guernsey. A point of difference from their Queensland rival, and Adelaide and even Bulldogs too. Light blue guernsey with gold sash! Simple, traditional, says Gold Coast straight away. But people get paid lots of money to design logos and uniforms when tradition and simplicity will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back