Mero

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Why do we insist on jumpers that don't really fix the Clash?
(Rhetorical question, the answer is because the club wants to sell them and jumpers in non-club colours don't sell.)

If they were actually serious they'd use a non-club colour
Like Lime Green
Essendon-Clash-Design.png
Essendon-Clash-Design2.png

neogh

Debutant
Apr 17, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
MVFC/Irons/Bluewings/Many others
Why do we insist on jumpers that don't really fix the Clash?
(Rhetorical question, the answer is because the club wants to sell them and jumpers in non-club colours don't sell.)

If they were actually serious they'd use a non-club colour
Like Lime Green

Maybe spoiler alert but will non-club colours be a possible discussion point on your jumpers podcast considering the chronology? Loving it so far.

Not even that non-club coloured jumpers don't sell well, most of them are regarded as the worst jumpers ever.

Mero

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Maybe spoiler alert but will non-club colours be a possible discussion point on your jumpers podcast considering the chronology? Loving it so far.

Not even that non-club coloured jumpers don't sell well, most of them are regarded as the worst jumpers ever.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Recorded a new one last night, so that should be up in the next day or so.
We're going in order, from beginning to current, and will then branch off into all the different types of jumpers.
That will include SDN jumpers (Indigenous), Clash jumpers, Sugar Daddy jumpers, Heritage and so on.

And yes, when clubs try to get 'creative' with their designs or colours, they're generally regarded as the worst.

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Based on the Richmond dreamtime 2022 Guernsey, I'd like to see the back sash go for a year or two and re introduce the yellow numbers
I've always disliked the white numbers going over the bright yellow sash, it looks horrible from afar. I kind of thought I was the only one so I never said anything but glad there are others who think the same. The Late 90s/Early 00s Tigers jumper is my all time favourite.

Fizzler

BBTB
Dec 26, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
View attachment 1427464
river-11-min.jpg

Am I the only one not a fan of the black outlines on a red jumper? Wonder if this can work for us next year onwards.

The current away jumper would look much better with red shorts but considering Essendon will never bring them back, thus I think a darker or light red would look much better.
I quite like the black shadow under the sash that you guys have now more so than the solid outline, I like how it (presumably unintentionally) references the origins of the sash, in that it was an actual physical red sash over a black (and before that navy) jumper. Whoever brought up that comparison here helped me regard Essendon's clash as one of the best in the league.

Nickimus Rex

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
View attachment 1427464
river-11-min.jpg

Am I the only one not a fan of the black outlines on a red jumper? Wonder if this can work for us next year onwards.

The current away jumper would look much better with red shorts but considering Essendon will never bring them back, thus I think a darker or light red would look much better.
Na you're not alone, I think most people dislike the weird gradient thingo on the red kit (edit: apparently not with Fizz above me lol)

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
My GC jumper from a few years ago

• It looks like a footy jumper while still having a subtle beach vibe
  • They're stronger colours - the bright yellow, red and blue they currently use are terrible and won't ever look good on a footy jumper. Cleveland Cavs went with similar to these colours because they work. Lighter and brighter tones look childlike.
  • Clash is easy, just swap the red for whatever you want
  • Excuse my horrific graphics skills

1GFNxgO4_o.png

And get a proper mascot ffs, eg Apollo is the greek god on the sun

greek-gods-01.jpg

Freshwater

Club Legend
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Recorded a new one last night, so that should be up in the next day or so.
We're going in order, from beginning to current, and will then branch off into all the different types of jumpers.
That will include SDN jumpers (Indigenous), Clash jumpers, Sugar Daddy jumpers, Heritage and so on.

And yes, when clubs try to get 'creative' with their designs or colours, they're generally regarded as the worst.
Podcast name? I love your work here and your site. Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad