Workshop Jumper Ideas For 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The arrangement was clear. The second name in the combined club name gets the mascot.
To be fair, North Fitzroy is an actual place and it doesn't give the impression it's a mixture of the two suburbs.

To be fair, North Fitzroy is an actual place and it doesn't give the impression it's a mixture of the two suburbs.
"North Melbourne" could represent greater Fitzroy anyway

i dunno if it's greedy man.

respectfully to the old Roy Boys, we had the upper hand. Our club wasn't going to fall off the face of the Earth if a merge didn't go through. if we wanted to keep the kangaroo, we were gonna keep the kangaroo.
So it's effectively blackmail?
The point of a "merge" is that both parties agree on fair terms. Yes, North had the upper hand, but to expect to hold on to every bit of their identity without compromise misrepresents the process
The "merge with us or die" viewpoint is not how it was ever meant to be

Brisbane allowed Fitzroy to keep the mascot, the colours fairly represented both clubs (with a good historical slant to Fitzroy), the song was Fitzroy with a tiny element from Brisbane's old song, and the jumper was skewed in Fitzroy's favour. Brisbane did an excellent job in negotiating fair terms, given Fitzroy's difficult and sensitive position

I wish North had been more flexible. The Brisbane Bears could have been premiers, and Fitzroy could have stayed in Melbourne

"North Melbourne" could represent greater Fitzroy anyway

The point of a "merge" is that both parties agree on fair terms. Yes, North had the upper hand, but to expect to hold on to every bit of their identity without compromise misrepresents the process

Brisbane allowed Fitzroy to keep the mascot, the colours fairly represented both clubs (with a good historical slant to Fitzroy), the song was Fitzroy with a tiny element from Brisbane's old song, and the jumper was skewed in Fitzroy's favour. Brisbane did an excellent job in negotiating fair terms, given Fitzroy's difficult and sensitive position

I wish North had been more flexible. The Brisbane Bears could have been premiers, and Fitzroy could have stayed in Melbourne
Agreed re the point on North/Northern Melbourne.

I don’t recall Fitzroy supporters being particularly upset by the North merger model though. I was quite young so may be misremembering but my recollection is that they were largely on board and happy with that option but the rest of the clubs vetoed it and Fitzroy people were furious about being sent to Brisbane. I believe even some Fitzroy fans talked about jumping ship to North after the merger.

Agreed re the point on North/Northern Melbourne.

I don’t recall Fitzroy supporters being particularly upset by the North merger model though. I was quite young so may be misremembering but my recollection is that they were largely on board and happy with that option but the rest of the clubs vetoed it and Fitzroy people were furious about being sent to Brisbane. I believe even some Fitzroy fans talked about jumping ship to North after the merger.

I remember in Inside Football at the time, it was hypothesised that over time the "Fitzroy" in the combined name would eventually disappear, even informally, and they'd continue to be the North Melbourne Kangaroos

St George-Illawarra did a poor job of integrating both clubs. Illawarra had no money, but they had a good youth squad. St George effectively tacked on "Illawarra" onto their logo as the only recognition that another club existed. However, the Steelers didn't have 113 years of history as a club...

Ignoring geography, the Brisbane merge was the best outcome. Looking further back, Fitzroy should have moved to Brisbane after 1986. I believe that that after finishing 3rd in 1986, Fitzroy's membership actually went backwards in 1987.

I remember in Inside Football at the time, it was hypothesised that over time the "Fitzroy" in the combined name would eventually disappear, even informally, and they'd continue to be the North Melbourne Kangaroos

St George-Illawarra did a poor job of integrating both clubs. Illawarra had no money, but they had a good youth squad. St George effectively tacked on "Illawarra" onto their logo as the only recognition that another club existed. However, the Steelers didn't have 113 years of history as a club...

Ignoring geography, the Brisbane merge was the best outcome. Looking further back, Fitzroy should have moved to Brisbane after 1986. I believe that that after finishing 3rd in 1986, Fitzroy's membership actually went backwards in 1987.
You’re right. In retrospect, being the Brisbane Lions without the merger with the Bears would have been the best option and allowed them to hold onto more of their identity.

Even better than that would’ve been if Oakley hadn’t sabotaged their potential move to Tassie

That North tried to hold on to too much of their identity led to stretching out of negotiations and ultimately to the failure of the merger.

To me... given that the new club was going to be a part of the national competition, "North Melbourne Lions" as a representation of northern Melbourne of which Fitzroy was a part would have been better.

Brisbane did an excellent job in negotiating fair terms, given Fitzroy's difficult and sensitive position

Brisbane didn't negotiate any terms.

Last edited:
Well, they at least adopted the Lion, the song, the jumper etc.
They embraced Fitzroy's heritage and history

To gain a Melbourne support base,
North Melbourne were seemingly disinterested

An agreement was arrived it and North subsequently tried to maximise their own identity in the arrangement. This ultimately helped the merger fall apart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a sucker for an anniversary, more specifically, a Fitzroy anniversary.
2023 is 125 years since Fitzroy's first flag so here's an anniversary concept with some hidden details. As a fan of a (former) long-suffering club and my uncle being an original Roys fan, premierships long before our lifetimes tended to be sources of pride. This is to serve as a celebration of Fitzroy's greatest eras and in fact, the 8 'laces' on the guernsey represent each Fitzroy premiership. A stylised monogram found from a vintage season ticket on eBay brings back a logo lost to time. To be worn away in Melbourne and possibly in the only fixture against Essendon, whom they beat 125 years ago.
1898-Throwback.png

2023 is 125 years since Fitzroy's first flag so here's an anniversary concept with some hidden details. As a fan of a (former) long-suffering club and my uncle being an original Roys fan, premierships long before our lifetimes tended to be sources of pride. This is to serve as a celebration of Fitzroy's greatest eras and in fact, the 8 'laces' on the guernsey represent each Fitzroy premiership. A stylised monogram found from a vintage season ticket on eBay brings back a logo lost to time. To be worn away in Melbourne and possibly in the only fixture against Essendon, whom they beat 125 years ago.
View attachment 1614892
Looks awesome. Is that the colour scheme they wore back then? Interesting that it’s basically the Bears colours

It was more of a cream colour but wasn't far off
View attachment 1615302
Given that’s a chamois material, it was likely dyed white but naturally that wouldn’t last very long. I know that was the case for Carlton but Mero could possibly know if it’s also the case for Fitzroy

it's not a "merge with us or die" situation, it's the fact that North didn't have to merge. sure there were benefits to a merge, and in hindsight, it probably would've been a fantastic outcome for both clubs both in the short and long term, but we were in a position to put up a fight for our own interests, and the board at the time obviously had some minimum standards they wanted to stick fat with. i think some of the points listed re: suburb names are a bit of a weird hill to die on for the north board at the time, but if they're acting in what they think is the best interest for their club then they're doing their job correctly.

in the case of a merge I would expect any club's board to have a similar mindset of putting their club first and having sticking points they aren't overly keen on compromising. in fact if they didn't then they wouldn't correctly be serving their club. If roles were reversed I guarantee Fitzroy would have been doing the same thing to North.

View attachment 1614892
Love it, would look good with Navy shorts & socks to match the uniform at the time

Looks awesome. Is that the colour scheme they wore back then? Interesting that it’s basically the Bears colours
It was more of a cream colour but wasn't far off
View attachment 1615302
It really depends on how you wish to interpret it, to be honest. Nato certainly isn't wrong that's for sure but the correct answer is most likely somewhere in the middle that only Mero would be able to put into words.

I used this image of Fred Fontaine, among others, and the 1996 Centenary Celebration guernsey as a reference for the concept.
Fred_Fontaine_1907.jpg
109467415_684277168791499_6211816806183136618_n.jpg

Love it, would look good with Navy shorts & socks to match the uniform at the time
Considered it, and would certainly look great but I'd find it odd if a Fitzroy jumper wasn't worn away in Melbourne, hence the white shorts.

The colours I've used are based on an actual jumper that Fitzroy have in their museum.
images

I was advised that the leather middle strip would have gotten darker over the years.
They would or should have been the same colours when they were worn.

In 2007 the website looked like this
and I used a more yellow shade on the jumper.
Fitzroy-1.gif

I was advised by the Fitzroy Museum members of the Football Heritage Group that it was too bright and that the actual Yellow colour was closer to the chamois that Carlton painted White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back