Jumper Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom FC

Senior List
Nov 2, 2000
Maybe it's a bit pedantic, but does anyone have an opinion on Des Headland being given the number one jumper?

That is usually kept for experienced, proven players, which Headland is not. Surely someone like Kennedy, White or even McDonald would have been a better choice. Or a leading player, like Justin Leppitsch.

But why give it to Headland?

I am as bemused as you as to why he was given the number one jumper.

BSA, I can pretty confidently say that had the members had anything to do with it - he probably wouldn't have go it. I really don't know why he did.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lucky Number by Des "Lene Lovich" Headland

Ada yada yada yada yada yada yada ya

I never used to try; I could just coast along
I knew I had the skills; I was a touch headstrong
Got drafted by the Lions and that was a blow
I had my heart set on playing with Freo
's where I'm recruited from
I'm draft pick number's one

My shin splints kept me sidelined for a month or two
Kicked 3 goals at the SCG in my debut
I finally got a run
My lucky game number one

Uh-oh uh-oh

Ay ay ay yay yay

I had a kickless game against the Kangaroos
Was running 'round the next week in the ol' Magoos
My ego took a battering; I was overweight
And hoping to be traded back to my home state
I had to vent my spleen
My number ain't nineteen

Uh-oh uh-oh

Something tells me my lucky number's gonna be changing soon
Something tells me my lucky number's gonna be cha-

I started off 2000 with a quaddy strain
I got me girlfriend pregnant; I'd misplaced me brain
The match committee said that if I lift my game
A half-back flank position would be mine to claim
A finals place for me
My lucky ground's the G

The doco on the ABC said "I want out"
A free trip back to Perth is what it's all about
Lethal Leigh's an amateur psychologist
He thinks a change of number might give me the gist
Was Richard Champion's
I got his number one

Uh-oh uh-oh

When Champs vacated it - I thought the no.1 guernsey might go to McDonald. Headland was certainly a surprise. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing, however. Any incentive to get an obviously talented player to fulfil his potential has got to be good.

Denno, I agree.

The one I was shocked to see is that the #15 jumper is going to someone else......can't remember who, I was kinda distraught lol. Oh well, life goes on huh.
frown.gif
hehehe

Nup don't agree, why Headland? it's an embarassment to all the the players who where the #1 jumper.....

They should've given it to someone who
1. has been around for a while and
2. someone better than des

------------------
GO LIONS!

Come on guys..
Lots of players change numbers..
And for lots of reasons..

I think the change is a good one..
If it gives Des some confidence that he has lost then so be it..
And this coming from a CHAMPS FAN too..
Champs is/was an inspiration to many..
Des promised at club chamion dinner that 2001 was going to be his best year yet..
Come on give the young guys a go..
These are our players for hopefully a few years to come..
Give them some support and stop bagging them...

SpecialBruce : Fine thank you (but earlier, blocked sinuses), yoour agreeance is duly noted.

Blacky's chick : it's certainly a fair idea to ensure that #1 goes to a proven player, the only detraction being that once a player becomes fully respected, his number at the time becomes well known, and if he's got a good heart in his breadbasket he might just become attached to that higher number himself. Suddenly the change to #1 begins to look a little less attractive.

go_the_young_blokes or whatever yer name was, yep it sounds like a good sign for Des to have the confidence in himself, quoting that he would have a good year in 2001. On the other hand, Al Lynch told a few of us once in that fateful last year at the Roys that he was definitely staying with Fitzroy. That rang true for .. oh ... couple of months. Yer gotta wish bloody hard and love bloody long for dreams to come true, I've found.

I agree with u whole hartedly Go The Young Guys, we totally need to concerntrate on the season ahead instead of baging our fellas about what numbers they were, i think if another person was to get #1 we would be complaning about that to. In the long run a number is only on the players back so they can be identified by Commentator and Umpires during the game. I must say that didn't seem to work at the end of the 1999 season the commentators kept confusing Stevie Lawerance and Luke Power, like they have the same colour of hair and they both have curly hair but really not enough to get confused about, and they had there respective numbers on there back.

------------------
Signing off with GO THE MIGHTY LIONS IN 2001

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see what the big deal is here? I mean, as for the argument that number 1 should go to a proven player... if i recall correctly when Champion started with the bears he started off with number 1 from day dot. Number 1 isn't held with the same prestige any more alongside other numbers worn by club legends, ie 14 at Sydney, 4 at Carlton are 2 that spring to mind. I believe it would be more of an honour in Brisbane's case to inherit Michael Voss's number 3 when he retires (god forbid). If Headland wanted 1 and it was vacant, i dont see the problem with him taking it. Really, when it all boils its just another number.

Yeah Lionschick, I agree Voss is the only current player with legend status & the No 3 will be remembered for a long time after he retires.

Let Des create his own legend. Hopefully his delayed maturity problems (we know his ability to reproduce is OK - it's his mind i am worried about) are on the way out & he can turn it on in 2001.

well thank you everybody for showing Des your support...
I now would really like to see everyone get behind the whole team...
past is the past...

GO LIONS !!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back