Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've often had the thought process of "what if?", and obviously, that's barely limited to football and its jumpers. Not only that, but I've often seen proposed jumpers being discussed. Images posted and queries pondered. Yet all these occur in a bevy of different threads. So this is almost an index of those jumpers - yet is not limited to. Your own designs can go here. You can discuss discarded designs for regular, existing teams (such as dismissed designs - like that whole page recently put up of the new Dockers designs).

What if the Kangaroos had merged with Fitzroy? What about the Hawkers and Demons? Well that final one in particular is going to kick start this thread.

Hawthorn and Melbourne:

tumblr_luykk64NjR1qblmdco1_250.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz5qjuXuTaY&feature=player_embedded

How do you guys think that guernsey would have developed today if that merger did go ahead? Someone wanna design a home and clash? Might get around to it later but not tonight

These are all ones from the documentary on the formation of Freo.

A few possible designs that were up for consideration by the board at the time:

PB200319.jpg

PB200323.jpg

PB200320.jpg

PB200321.jpg

Then a possible prototype or even the proposed jumper that was presented to the AFL for approval (back only, the front was the same as the first home jumper):

PB200324.jpg

When the jumpers and club name was unveiled, the away jumper was going to worn with green shorts maybe:

PB200325.jpg

These are all ones from the documentary on the formation of Freo.

A few possible designs that were up for consideration by the board at the time:

PB200319.jpg

PB200323.jpg

PB200320.jpg

PB200321.jpg

Then a possible prototype or even the proposed jumper that was presented to the AFL for approval (back only, the front was the same as the first home jumper):

PB200324.jpg

When the jumpers and club name was unveiled, the away jumper was going to worn with green shorts maybe:

PB200325.jpg
That's really cool :thumbsu:
Could you pelase post a link to the video?

Anyone else notice the Puma boots on the drawings. I think they were pretty regular on AFL merchandise as I had figurines with Puma boots aswell...

I have it on DVD so unfortunately no link. It came in the Freo Greatest Derbies (or something like that) pack. Just in case it is confusing as to why an Essendon supporter and member would own that, it is because I love footy that much, I adopted Freo as a close second, but always second team, and joined as a member about 8-9 years ago so that I could go to the footy every second week.

Anyone else notice the Puma boots on the drawings. I think they were pretty regular on AFL merchandise as I had figurines with Puma boots aswell...

Yeah. And interestingly as well, when presenting to the AFL on the jumper design, they mocked up some fake newspaper articles to see what pictures of it would look like in print press and the sponsor on the front of the jumper in those images was Hungry Jacks.

Henness, this whole DVD centres simply around Freo's formation? If so, I'll have to find a copy. Our entrance into the league is something rather undocumented on the internet. I was born in 1994 as well, so I can't remember the starting up of the club. What is the title called, and is it still available? Secondly, are they the only tops presented in the doco?

A query - with the AFL wanting a second WA side, was it always going to be a Fremantle based entity? Were there considerations for, say, a team called 'Perth'?

It's also very interesting to look at those proposed jumpers. They all seem more timeless than the anchor. And I have to admit, I think they all look good. There's no real eyesore. Considering it was the nineties and the club had four colours, the end product isn't awfully embarrassing.

Well, thank god those merger's didn't go ahead if they were the concept guernseys! All three of those Melb-Haw and Fitz-Foots designs are atrocious!

That said though... I thought that the Brisbane Lions had one of the best guernseys in the league (pre-PaddlePop Lion of course). Very traditional looking, and was a fairly good blend of the Fitzroy and Bears history.

I also reckon that a Fitz-Nth Melb guernsey would have been awesome too had it gone ahead. Somewhat of a cross between a North Melbourne 90s era away jumper, and the Port Melbourne VFL guernsey.

I'm at work and have just scribbled up this rough one free-hand in Paint... I'll make a proper one and replace this image when I get home:

photo.jpg

Henness, this whole DVD centres simply around Freo's formation? If so, I'll have to find a copy. Our entrance into the league is something rather undocumented on the internet. I was born in 1994 as well, so I can't remember the starting up of the club. What is the title called, and is it still available? Secondly, are they the only tops presented in the doco?

A query - with the AFL wanting a second WA side, was it always going to be a Fremantle based entity? Were there considerations for, say, a team called 'Perth'?

It's also very interesting to look at those proposed jumpers. They all seem more timeless than the anchor. And I have to admit, I think they all look good. There's no real eyesore. Considering it was the nineties and the club had four colours, the end product isn't awfully embarrassing.

You can get the DVD from here, it comes in this 3 pack. Not way to get it individually:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Best-Der...ies_TV_Shows&hash=item20bd192754#ht_800wt_698

or I am pretty sure that I saw it at the JB Hi-Hi in the city at the start of the month

I think there may have been more jumpers presented in it, but nothing I could get a clear enough photo of to warrant putting up here as it was only a 1 second glance at a distance. Some of the proposed logos and names are also presented in it.

I think that it was always going to be called Fremantle but could be wrong, would have to check the DVD again. It was announced in mid December 1994 (I think) that the second team would be established.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, thank god those merger's didn't go ahead if they were the concept guernseys! All three of those Melb-Haw and Fitz-Foots designs are atrocious!

That said though... I thought that the Brisbane Lions had one of the best guernseys in the league (pre-PaddlePop Lion of course). Very traditional looking, and was a fairly good blend of the Fitzroy and Bears history.

I also reckon that a Fitz-Nth Melb guernsey would have been awesome too had it gone ahead. Somewhat of a cross between a North Melbourne 90s era away jumper, and the Port Melbourne VFL guernsey.

I'm at work and have just scribbled up this rough one free-hand in Paint... I'll make a proper one and replace this image when I get home:

photo.jpg

Like this?

northfitzroy.png

I've wondered what would have happened if St Kilda had won the 1997 Grand Final - surely they would still be wearing some version of the cross design that they wore that day if it was the modern premiership jumper? Interestingly, the more traditional slab design was the away jumper that season (before the current climate of strict clash jumpers) and if they'd have stuck with the cross design, that slab jumper would have been heavily altered or disappeared altogether to make way for a white clash design.

wbAFLsaints97_wideweb__470x287,0.jpg

Similarly, I think what the club might have done if they'd won the/a Grand Final in 2010; wearing that clash jumper, I'm sure the club would have either kept it as a clash design or perhaps even incorporated it into the home design in some way (i.e. a white back on the home design, for instance).

Also, the apron clash design worn in 2007 and 2008 won out in a vote against this (in my opinion, far better and bolder) design:

e6adc6af8753d3462274f3a2e014cf368246d4568017cdc801761941937b18826g.jpg

ABC Radio National recently did a 'Hindsight' program on Fitzroy. Their demise is very well documented in it. People of interest are interviewed. Being Radio National, it's barely bastardised or dramatised in its portrayal of the events. I recommend it. Anyway, there's a tiny segment on the proposed North/Fitzroy jumper, in which was passed by the AFL. I'll have a listen later on and mock something up.

On Fremantle my memory is that for a number of years, there was always the consensus that a 2nd WA team would be called Fremantle. It was just a matter of when.

I also remember that there was strong public support for them to be called the Sharks (as in the same type of unofficial support pre-internet as the 2nd Queensland team should be Southport in recent times), but with East Freo already being the Sharks, it was never gonna fly.

Melbourne had a vote between these 2 for their 2009/10 clash jumper.
Clash2.jpg

I preferred A at the time but I'd probably go for B now, even if it is very uninspired.

Henness is their any chance you would be able to use a program to rip part of that freo DVD and give us a copy

Henness is their any chance you would be able to use a program to rip part of that freo DVD and give us a copy

Yeah, I will have a crack at it tomorrow arvo and probably just upload it via youtube in several parts, do you think that would work? Will post the links here when done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back