Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Claws were a real early 2000s footy fetish thing, weren't they BT?

Richmond had them just about every pre-season but there were a few local clubs still doing them up until a few years ago.

Just one of those images you remember as a kid and as a footy jumper... noticer... it's sometimes your first experience of 'oh, that's not what they usually wear! What is that?'

Richmond had them just about every pre-season but there were a few local clubs still doing them up until a few years ago.

Just one of those images you remember as a kid and as a footy jumper... noticer... it's sometimes your first experience of 'oh, that's not what they usually wear! What is that?'

8e5707004f7e4c3ba7fa3f41cf4f6764

Claw marks are still getting a run down Geelong way, this is the Colac Tigers from the GFL. Fairly certain they've worn the same design since they joined the league about 15-20 years ago

Still ripinnn
1549162563200.png

A few AFLW guernseys that were not used
1549167045981.png
Tassie was changed to Tasmania and there are no white cuffs on North's guernsey

1549167100311.png
Essendon didn't end up being accepted into the league hence these guernseys are not being used anymore.

I got my hands on a prototype 2009 Crows training guernsey, pictured below.
1551083443355.png
The actual final product is below.
1551083473591.png

The prototype has an earlier version of the ultra-tight cut (with that weird bib) that Adidas used on some guernseys that were produced early on for the 2009 season. The mesh goes lower on the shoulders on the prototype cut but doesn't on that the final cut. The mesh bib is fatter on the prototype, too. The yellow line going across the back of the guernsey is actually piping on the prototype and not a sublimated line, like on the final guernsey.
Also, the Crows logo text is red instead of navy on the prototype, and the AFL logo doesn't have the thick stroke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. That's my carpet.

There's a sample version of the away 09 jumper floating around too with similar differences - cut, bib, shoulders, etc and the Toyota logo on the back in a different spot.

Nice find.

Haha. That's my carpet.

There's a sample version of the away 09 jumper floating around too with similar differences - cut, bib, shoulders, etc and the Toyota logo on the back in a different spot.

Nice find.

Wowee... do/did you have any other 2009 training guernseys? Do/did they have the different cut?

That 2009 away jumper keeps popping up for sale every few months, for some reason.
1551090239909.png

This sold a while ago, a 2009 training guernsey in blue which has the early cut.
1551090378697.png
1551090397631.png

Been a few 'insights' into Freo's looks over their history via a podcast from the physiotherapist – the only man who has always been a part of the club.

Some of it is interesting but I really get the feeling all anecdotes and facts are heavily talked up. So many contradictions. But the one thing is that there were far too many cooks in the kitchen back then. Plenty of marketing people who were actually hired, people at the AFL who thought they were, and lots more at FFC with their own agenda. I guess we'll never know the actual facts, but I'm pretty sure most people who come up with these yarns just want to lay claim to something...

- the 'Dockers' name was from left-field; Mariners, Seagulls, Hammers, Vikings, Dolphins, Stingrays were vetoed by initial CEO Ross Kelly. He told everyone that the breeze, the Fremantle Doctor, was once called the Fremantle Docker. People bought it. Blame him.
– the AFL gave a mandate that more than two colours had to be used
– initial colours were blue, white, and green (?)
– the designer of the Boxing Kangaroo flag designed the jumper, and came up with the idea of adding purple...
– ...then they added red (?)
– the WAFC preferred the royal blue design. Freo honchos didn't. They went to Burley-Sekem and told them to run a printing of the purple-based jumper. When the FFC had to present their ideal strip to get it ticked off, they then showed off the purple jumper, told them Sekem had botched the colour tone, and that the printing had already started...

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-03-21/how-a-white-lie-helped-the-dockers-get-their-name
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-03-21/the-deliberate-blue-that-turned-freo-purple

As I said I'm pretty sure a lot of this is horseshit. Dockers was trademarked at the same time as names like Hammer and Dolphins – and all the logos had the same principle look, really. And purple went way back in the design process – it wasn't like the anchor was the only ever possible strip and the colours were adapted between it.

Even in this story, the guy tries saying the colours were blue, white, and green and that red was added later. But then purple was changed from blue. But then... when did the red come? It's all over the place.

Surely no one involved would’ve ticked off a royal blue guernsey when the existing WA teams main colour was royal blue (at the time, we obviously went to navy home royal away from 95 onwards, but was still one of our main colours)

Surely no one involved would’ve ticked off a royal blue guernsey when the existing WA teams main colour was royal blue (at the time, we obviously went to navy home royal away from 95 onwards, but was still one of our main colours)
Not surprising, look at how similar GC’s colours were made to Brisbane’s!

A mate sent this to me today. Really curious. We've seen manufacturers do dummy runs before getting the contracts that look a little different (think no side panels, different coloured cuffs) but I've never seen someone who lost the bid, have a jumper end up for sale.

Medium, sublimation of number, close-ups indicate it is indeed a protoype.

Nice collar too.

A mate sent this to me today. Really curious. We've seen manufacturers do dummy runs before getting the contracts that look a little different (think no side panels, different coloured cuffs) but I've never seen someone who lost the bid, have a jumper end up for sale.

Medium, sublimation of number, close-ups indicate it is indeed a protoype.

Nice collar too.

There were a few Carlton jumper from 1996 made by Puma with sublimated numbers and AFL Centenary logos floating around. Apparently these were samples made up by Puma, I think Carlton ended up using Sekem jumpers in '96 before moving onto Nike.

Spare a thought for european soccer supporters who obsess over collecting their jumpers. they would have dozens if not hundreds in storage. many of them absolutely revolting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back