AFL Club
Carlton
616A84EF-4407-438B-8091-F15DBA683F80.jpeg

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
Is Freo United what a Confederate flag jumper would be if it was an away/clash version?

You're pretty much right. Alternate History author Harry Turtledove imagined a world where the South successfully defeated the Union. Later in his series the CSA becomes fascist and that jumper looks a lot like his depiction of what a fascist flag for the Confederate States of America looks like.
AmericanEmpireTheCenterCannotHold.jpeg
AmericanEmpireTheVictoriousOpposition.jpg
ReturnEngagementBook.jpg
SettlingAccountsDriveToTheEast.jpg
SettlingAccountTheGrapple.jpg
SettlingAccountsInAtTheDeath.jpg

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Just when I thought Freo's original Purple, Green, Red & White jumpers were as hard on the eyes as it could get... Dear God are those prototype jumpers awful.

Also, it strikes me as weird that the powers that be would poll the public on the best mascot for the new team, & when a winner emerged they decided to run with a mascot (Dockers) that wasn't even on the original list.

Strange to say the least.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Far our we missed out on the Freo Docs' pink and green ensemble design by Bob Webb

national tragedy

And weirdly it’s somehow the closest to the jack with pink/purple, white, green plus a fourth colour, maritime-themed graphics (sailing boats I assume) and a reference to the Fremantle Doctor.

May 28, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Also, it strikes me as weird that the powers that be would poll the public on the best mascot for the new team, & when a winner emerged they decided to run with a mascot (Dockers) that wasn't even on the original list.

The West Australian newspaper ran the poll, which had nothing to do with the Fremantle organisation that would eventually become the Dockers.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

If memory serves correct, the frontrunners for the Gold Coast mascot were Guards, Sharks and Stingrays and when the announcement came it was the goddamn Suns. Very similar.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
If memory serves correct, the frontrunners for the Gold Coast mascot were Guards, Sharks and Stingrays and when the announcement came it was the goddamn Suns. Very similar.
Yeah they missed a missive trick by naming the team the "Suns". Sharks or stingrays would have been a lot better, I just don't get why they avoided naming the side after a native Australian animal. The Suns/Giants monikers have no place in our Australian game in my opinion. Especially when there are NBA & NFL teams out there which already had that identity for a long time beforehand. Just makes those teams seem really plastic.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Yeah they missed a missive trick by naming the team the "Suns". Sharks or stingrays would have been a lot better, I just don't get why they avoided naming the side after a native Australian animal. The Suns/Giants monikers have no place in our Australian game in my opinion. Especially when there are NBA & NFL teams out there which already had that identity for a long time beforehand. Just makes those teams seem really plastic.

Couldn't agree more. The easiest way to market your sporting team is via the first image. For a football team being created in these modern times I find it amazing somebody ticked off on 'Suns' which has no relatable first impression and I feel exists entirely to fuel the pun within their song, 'We are the Suns (sons) of the Gold Coast sky'.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Christ, have fun explaining that meaning for every single day of your 25 year existence :oops:
Pretty much anyone who's lived in Perth would understand it, it's just a thing that happens late in the summer afternoons. "Ah, the doctor's in!" is a household expression in WA.

It's a bit like the Giants G being a motif for NSW and the Parramatta river, or the relevance of black diamonds to Port Adelaide. Those who know, know.

ChisholmDale

Debutant
Nov 12, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Christ, have fun explaining that meaning for every single day of your 25 year existence :oops:
ItS a WiNd AnD iT gOeS bIg In ThE aFtErNoOn BuT oNlY sOmE mOnThS aNd MoStLy NoT iN fOotY sEaSoN. BuT iTs bIg ThO.

I have a hard enough time trying to explain my dedication to the current mob. I can’t even imagine the challenge that would come with a dumb(er?) name than what we have.

Back