Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 828712
This replica of that weird Crows red guernsey (not a fake, maybe prototype) seems to have a different looking Camry sponsor
31475.jpg
Yeah look, I already commented my thoughts on it but I'm convinced it's fake. The original didn't cut into the bottom hem, nor did it have inconsistencies like the top left of the design.

Yeah look, I already commented my thoughts on it but I'm convinced it's fake. The original didn't cut into the bottom hem, nor did it have inconsistencies like the top left of the design.

Who knows.
Adidas' Crows replicas were s**t. For some reason many of them had weird design differences between what the players wore.
They made replicas with the Adidas logo in white, instead of gold.
For some reason some collars weren't fully gold, having the bottom part of the collar navy.
The back of the 2009 guernseys looked reasonably different to the actual things.

Pretty much anyone who's lived in Perth would understand it, it's just a thing that happens late in the summer afternoons. "Ah, the doctor's in!" is a household expression in WA.

It's a bit like the Giants G being a motif for NSW and the Parramatta river, or the relevance of black diamonds to Port Adelaide. Those who know, know.
ngl you hear it very rarely these days, people in my area just say seabreeze these days

Attachments

• Fremantle-Suns.png
    Fremantle-Suns.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 354
  • Fremantle-Dolphins.png
    Fremantle-Dolphins.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Fremantle-Flyers.png
    Fremantle-Flyers.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Fremantle-Docs.png
    Fremantle-Docs.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 382
  • Fremantle-Cobras.png
    Fremantle-Cobras.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 385
  • Fremantle-Vikings.png
    Fremantle-Vikings.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Been a few 'insights' into Freo's looks over their history via a podcast from the physiotherapist – the only man who has always been a part of the club.

Some of it is interesting but I really get the feeling all anecdotes and facts are heavily talked up. So many contradictions. But the one thing is that there were far too many cooks in the kitchen back then. Plenty of marketing people who were actually hired, people at the AFL who thought they were, and lots more at FFC with their own agenda. I guess we'll never know the actual facts, but I'm pretty sure most people who come up with these yarns just want to lay claim to something...

- the 'Dockers' name was from left-field; Mariners, Seagulls, Hammers, Vikings, Dolphins, Stingrays were vetoed by initial CEO Ross Kelly. He told everyone that the breeze, the Fremantle Doctor, was once called the Fremantle Docker. People bought it. Blame him.
– the AFL gave a mandate that more than two colours had to be used
– initial colours were blue, white, and green (?)
– the designer of the Boxing Kangaroo flag designed the jumper, and came up with the idea of adding purple...
– ...then they added red (?)
– the WAFC preferred the royal blue design. Freo honchos didn't. They went to Burley-Sekem and told them to run a printing of the purple-based jumper. When the FFC had to present their ideal strip to get it ticked off, they then showed off the purple jumper, told them Sekem had botched the colour tone, and that the printing had already started...

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-03-21/how-a-white-lie-helped-the-dockers-get-their-name
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-03-21/the-deliberate-blue-that-turned-freo-purple

As I said I'm pretty sure a lot of this is horseshit. Dockers was trademarked at the same time as names like Hammer and Dolphins – and all the logos had the same principle look, really. And purple went way back in the design process – it wasn't like the anchor was the only ever possible strip and the colours were adapted between it.

Even in this story, the guy tries saying the colours were blue, white, and green and that red was added later. But then purple was changed from blue. But then... when did the red come? It's all over the place.

Is there any truth to the story that the Green and Red placement either side of the white anchor on the Freo jumper was done to represent the Italian flag? Due to Fremantle being a predominant entry point for immigrants during the 20th century? (or something along those lines)

No, the red & green represented "port" & "starboard". Nautical terms which refer to the left and right side of a ship.

Is there any truth to the story that the Green and Red placement either side of the white anchor on the Freo jumper was done to represent the Italian flag? Due to Fremantle being a predominant entry point for immigrants during the 20th century? (or something along those lines)
it was certainly mentioned a fair bit at the time; a celebration/acknowledgement of a substantial Italian presence in the area historically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was certainly mentioned a fair bit at the time; a celebration/acknowledgement of a substantial Italian presence in the area historically.
I wasn't aware of this. I have a feeling that the people mentioning it at the time might not be on the money with that tbh.

IDK if this has already been posted, but here's a saints jumper made up for the 2010 GF that obviously was never worn because of the clash with Collingwood. I remember hearing these were on standby on the day if the club won the flag so photos could be taken with the players in the proper guernsey.

View attachment 861889
It's fantastic that they never had to worry about digging and of these out of the equipment bag ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back