Racing June Daily Thread - Head North Young Man

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh i much rather races where the best horse is a mudder that took 34 starts to win it's first saturday race.

Suit yourself. Room for both. It isnt like we would have the cream lining up in every race anyway given the time of year they are held. Champions overcome odds Ie. Black Caviars Newmarket, Winx Doncaster, Makybe Diva's Third Cup. Some of the great moments in racing history have come becaue they beat the handicapper

How can someone get into horse racing? Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources about the history of horse racing in Australia and then maybe something about general race strategy to get me started? Also where do you keep up to date with news?

Googling horse racing gives me about 5-6 pages of bookmakers and tips providers lol

Thanks in advance.

Les Carlyon books are great for tales of the turf. A brilliant writer

Suit yourself. Room for both. It isnt like we would have the cream lining up in every race anyway given the time of year they are held. Champions overcome odds Ie. Black Caviars Newmarket, Winx Doncaster, Makybe Diva's Third Cup. Some of the great moments in racing history have come becaue they beat the handicapper

yes, i couldn't believe the such harsh imposts they were forced to carry, what chance did they have.....

it's not about who wins them it's about who's in the race and handicaps whether rightly or wrongly deter people from placing their horse there these days.

yes, i couldn't believe the such harsh imposts they were forced to carry, what chance did they have.....

it's not about who wins them it's about who's in the race and handicaps whether rightly or wrongly deter people from placing their horse there these days.

If the weights arent a factor why arent people entering? Name one horse that didnt run in the Straddy due to weight

If the weights arent a factor why arent people entering? Name one horse that didnt run in the Straddy due to weight

impossible to say with the way the program is. i suspect it played a big part in Black hearts and Vega Magic's planning along with any other WFA competitive horse in australia. where's malaguerra, takedown, spieth, english they should be cleaning up up there not Jungle Edge and the scone horse.

impossible to say with the way the program is. i suspect it played a big part in Black hearts and Vega Magic's planning along with any other WFA competitive horse in australia. where's malaguerra, takedown, spieth, english they should be cleaning up up there not Jungle Edge and the scone horse.

BHB went like a busted arse its last two runs so would have been doubtful. Ditto Mal & English. Takedown and Speith yet to prove they are group one WFA's anyway whereas that "Scone Galloper" just won a WFA Group One two weeks ago.

Vega Magic was never being aimed at the Straddy and was put out to the Spring

BHB went like a busted arse its last two runs so would have been doubtful. Ditto Mal & English. Takedown and Speith yet to prove they are group one WFA's anyway whereas that "Scone Galloper" just won a WFA Group One two weeks ago.

Vega Magic was never being aimed at the Straddy and was put out to the Spring

says scone galloper wins a wfa g1 but discounts Takedowns ?

reality is there is a mass of horses that could be running but are not. or are not even in work right now no matter how you want to cut it seeing any of those horses here would be a big bonus.

says scone galloper wins a wfa g1 but discounts Takedowns ?

reality is there is a mass of horses that could be running but are not. or are not even in work right now no matter how you want to cut it seeing any of those horses here would be a big bonus.

You could say that about any race whether it is weight for age or not. Where were Chautauqua and co in the Doomben 10,000 or Winx in the Brisbane Cup? They were both weight for age contests

You could say that about any race whether it is weight for age or not. Where were Chautauqua and co in the Doomben 10,000 or Winx in the Brisbane Cup? They were both weight for age contests

What would be their preparation? First up 10,000? Or run around in a few G3 set weights races. Would struggle placing them without touching a handicap or swp event. Maybe if there was a string of wfa events horses like spieth (110 rated) would be tempted to go up there instead of just a 10,000 and that other pointless low prizemoney event they have.

If the goodwood 10,000 and straddie were wfa tell me there wouldn't be an increase in quality of racing. But no, ****** up state control and inability to work together to make something better.

What would be their preparation? First up 10,000? Or run around in a few G3 set weights races. Would struggle placing them without touching a handicap or swp event. Maybe if there was a string of wfa events horses like spieth (110 rated) would be tempted to go up there instead of just a 10,000 and that other pointless low prizemoney event they have.

If the goodwood 10,000 and straddie were wfa tell me there wouldn't be an increase in quality of racing. But no, ****** up state control and inability to work together to make something better.

Now you are just getting off track again. Why wouldn't horses like so with still need a rest after tackling lightning/Newmarket/Sydney....plenty of handicap and wfa events. Whether you like it or not there is always going to be off peak racing whether that be Perth in the Summer or Adelaide /Brisbane in the winter. You won't get Chautauqua and winx to every group one whether it is wfa or not

cant wait for those 4 horse wfa races every week where there is a $1.20 favorite in every race and the betting pools are $10000. You get rid of handicap racing it will die

Plenty of BM58s for you to bet on the Pakenham synthetic :thumbsu:

To be fair - the reason good horses aren't running in these races 90% of the time is the time of year they are held. Given the Australian weights scales these days good horses don't face much of an impost under handicap conditions anyway. I think I worked out one day that Frankel would have had to carry 74.5kg in a Donny to level the playing field. He'd probably carry less as topweight in a Donny than he did at WFA in the UK :p

It's the same reason making the Caulfield Cup WFA and making the prize money $100m would do jack s**t to attract international horses and why the Championswamps gets no international runners - dates!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you are just getting off track again. Why wouldn't horses like so with still need a rest after tackling lightning/Newmarket/Sydney....plenty of handicap and wfa events. Whether you like it or not there is always going to be off peak racing whether that be Perth in the Summer or Adelaide /Brisbane in the winter. You won't get Chautauqua and winx to every group one whether it is wfa or not

I'm not getting off track. 3 starts isn't really "require a spell time". And I didn't say Chautauqua would be going up there, what you would hope for is horses one the edge rather than the ones struggling to win G3's start winning g1's.

WA for instance has the winterbottom maybe 2 weeks too late but still attracted sheidel malaguerra takedown keen array terravista. It's fits into the program fine and didn't penalise dual wfa winners like terravista or buffering before that to come over.

To be fair - the reason good horses aren't running in these races 90% of the time is the time of year they are held. Given the Australian weights scales these days good horses don't face much of an impost under handicap conditions anyway. I think I worked out one day that Frankel would have had to carry 74.5kg in a Donny to level the playing field. He'd probably carry less as topweight in a Donny than he did at WFA in the UK :p

It's the same reason making the Caulfield Cup WFA and making the prize money $100m would do jack s**t to attract international horses and why the Championswamps gets no international runners - dates!

Yeah I agree a lot has to do with time of year but would also help if there was a string of races to contend, horses might try extend their preparation from 3-4 to 5-6, not unheard of.

I'm not getting off track. 3 starts isn't really "require a spell time". And I didn't say Chautauqua would be going up there, what you would hope for is horses one the edge rather than the ones struggling to win G3's start winning g1's.

WA for instance has the winterbottom maybe 2 weeks too late but still attracted sheidel malaguerra takedown keen array terravista. It's fits into the program fine and didn't penalise dual wfa winners like terravista or buffering before that to come over.

Plenty of good horses have won the Doomben 10,000 and BRC Cup. Black Caviar, Buffering, Hay List all raced there. Mal and Bart this year along with music magnate. If you had racing your way it would be $1.10 favourites every week as everyone would already know the resukt

Yeah I agree a lot has to do with time of year but would also help if there was a string of races to contend, horses might try extend their preparation from 3-4 to 5-6, not unheard of.

Also suffers from how Australian horses are trained.

A horse like Winx in the UK could race once a month and just pick off all the 2000m G1 WFA races.

Oct - Cox Plate
Nov - Emirates
Dec - Railway

March - Ranvet
April - QE
May - Doomben Cup

Rinse and repeat

Also suffers from how Australian horses are trained.

A horse like Winx in the UK could race once a month and just pick off all the 2000m G1 WFA races.

Oct - Cox Plate
Nov - Emirates
Dec - Railway

March - Ranvet
April - QE
May - Doomben Cup

Rinse and repeat

Hold on weren't you just complaining that the good horses aren't racing enough?

Why would Winx racing less and in the same fields each time make racing more interesting?

Hold on weren't you just complaining that the good horses aren't racing enough?

Why would Winx racing less and in the same fields each time make racing more interesting?

Come on mate - this was a hypothetical showing how you could race her over a broader part of the season - I'm sure she could have the other odd race in between.

Instead - given Australian trainers need to jam 3 races in before there horses are actually race fit - really you can only target a horse for 2 seasons of the year - and thats always going to be Autumn/Spring

One of my mates has been using it the last 24hrs and missed a fair few (most he missed won, but still some losses) and he's been unlucky and gone something like 0/9 with the one he's gotten on lol. Its a very small sample size so it'll even out, but my mate still isn't too happy lol.

Update: He's gone like 8/9 or something since i posted :rolleyes: lol. Annoyed I haven't used it the last few days lol.

You are. GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back