Junior Cricket Transformed Across Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

They've done without it for 100 years and coped, why change now. Ridiculous decision.
So, your entire argument against trying something different in the hope of nurturing young cricketers is that we've 'coped'? Nice argument. On that basis, let's never seek improvement or try new things to get better results.

Might as well have auskickers use full size leather Sherrins from now on too. If they're good enough they'll manage.

So, your entire argument against trying something different in the hope of nurturing young cricketers is that we've 'coped'? Nice argument. On that basis, let's never seek improvement or try new things to get better results.

Might as well have auskickers use full size leather Sherrins from now on too. If they're good enough they'll manage.
But they already have that forum with Kanga Cricket, small bats, soft balls etc. etc.
Thought you may have known that.
So that's a stupid argument by you.

To have 12/13 yo kids bowling on a short pitch is just ridiculous...................

Just about every sport is played at junior level on a smaller playing field than the seniors, don't understand why some people have their knickers in a knot.

Oh right, it's because the "PC Brigade" are involved. Spare me....

Its a tough call, and the balance between participation and developing the best talent isn't an easy one.

The lower amount of fielders will bring each fielder into play more often, and fielding is often the area kids don't enjoy because they aren't involved enough. So, I can see the point. At least for some of the time. Presumably less fielders also means smaller teams, which perhaps means more opportunity to bat for lesser ability players.

I really think they do need to keep 11 v 11 on full sized pitches (not full sized fields, boundaries can easily be eased back year on year in most cases) as part of the mix.
Maybe not so much at a very young age buy by mid-primary school at the very latest full sized pitches are required for bowlers to hit a length. Ideally, the best players would be doing so younger. (Mind you, a good length changes as they get older anyway, as batsmen get longer legs and come forward futher.)

Going for mass participation is great, but if it holds back development it could be a problem in the medium term.

If only Glenn McGrath got to use a shorter pitch. Seriously CA had a few bad series and now to them the whole world is ending so they are doing anything and everything. Next they will outlaw bowling machines.

They've done without it for 100 years and coped, why change now. Ridiculous decision.

Don't worry guys, there'll be plenty of opportunities for you to live vicariously through other people's kids at District Junior level.

Not weird or creepy at all.

Its a rubbish idea.

How will kids learn to bowl properly on a shortened pitch. How will they work out ways to place the ball through the gaps in the field with less fielders.

Its PC gone mad again (Read the Chinaman thread). Someone's got on their high horse, or a group of whingeing parents, so we change what's been working for 150 years.

The problem will be when these kids join the real world of cricket when they are 14. Its their formative years, and they'll be used to bowling on a short pitch, which will be very hard to adjust to.

They've tried these soft approaches to junior sport in AFL. No tackling, cant leave the back/forward zone etc. and in the same age groups mentioned above.

Its been proven that when kids reach 14 in AFL and all of a sudden they're getting tackled, they don't want to play anymore.

I actually do agree with some of your points.

But what do you think is going to get more people playing cricket.

Playing on full sized pitches where some kids literally can't get the ball to the other end? Or reducing the pitch so that every kid can at least bowl a legal delivery?

I don't even see what change this makes anyway. My under 10s cricket was played on a shorter pitch. A lot of junior cricket already is.

Playing on full sized pitches where some kids literally can't get the ball to the other end? Or reducing the pitch so that every kid can at least bowl a legal delivery?

I don't even see what change this makes anyway. My under 10s cricket was played on a shorter pitch. A lot of junior cricket already is.
More people playing cricket means destroying technology. Kids would rather be inside than play sport.

That's how they learn. No short pitches down here.

The U11s at my junior cricket club trialled it this season. I went down to a game to see if it was any good. The kids could get it down the pitch with one bounce but they weren't playing on a pitch, they were playing on grass in the outfield of the cricket ground. I think it is too similar to Milo T20 blast. It's a good idea and has potential. But it should be for the bottom aged under 11 kids because once kids are top age under 11s they can easily bowl it down a full sized pitch with one bounce.

The U11s at my junior cricket club trialled it this season. I went down to a game to see if it was any good. The kids could get it down the pitch with one bounce but they weren't playing on a pitch, they were playing on grass in the outfield of the cricket ground. I think it is too similar to Milo T20 blast. It's a good idea and has potential. But it should be for the bottom aged under 11 kids because once kids are top age under 11s they can easily bowl it down a full sized pitch with one bounce.

The trial here in Bendigo had them playing on pitches, not the outfields

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how they learn. No short pitches down here.

A kid doesn't learn by showing up each week and being unable to get the ball to the batsman. That's discouragement and automatically an incentive for them to stop playing. A kid that can nearly do it? Absolutely, stretch them and get that extra improvement out of them.

But no kid is going to want to show up and, in front of a team of opponents and his own teammates, be physically incapable of actually participating properly.

A kid doesn't learn by showing up each week and being unable to get the ball to the batsman. That's discouragement and automatically an incentive for them to stop playing. A kid that can nearly do it? Absolutely, stretch them and get that extra improvement out of them.

But no kid is going to want to show up and, in front of a team of opponents and his own teammates, be physically incapable of actually participating properly.
But kids have been learning this way forever haven't they?
So you want the first time a kid bowls on a full length pitch to be when they are 14???

What?

14 year old's are either playing in either Under 15's or Under 16's, depending on the league. So they are bowling to 15-16 year old's without ever having bowled on a full pitch. That's what is going to put them off cricket for good.

The decision is laughable at best.....

But kids have been learning this way forever haven't they?
So you want the first time a kid bowls on a full length pitch to be when they are 14???

What?

14 year old's are either playing in either Under 15's or Under 16's, depending on the league. So they are bowling to 15-16 year old's without ever having bowled on a full pitch. That's what is going to put them off cricket for good.

The decision is laughable at best.....

Mate even if they have been, things change. Kids were using abacus' to learn maths - ask one to use an abacus now.
Kids used to learn by having the s**t flogged out of them.
Doesn't really wash with many people now.
Footballers used to learn by training a few nights a week and going to the pub. Doesn't happen now.

As I understand it - maybe I read it wrong - 14 year olds will have bowled on a full pitch before reaching that age. 10s and 11s won't have.

Whatever you think of the reasons behind things being like this, kids now don't respond well to adversity. I know because I have two who play under 9s cricket. When they fail and do it in front of a lot of other kids, it is extremely unlikely to motivate them. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Mate even if they have been, things change. Kids were using abacus' to learn maths - ask one to use an abacus now.
Kids used to learn by having the s**t flogged out of them.
Doesn't really wash with many people now.
Footballers used to learn by training a few nights a week and going to the pub. Doesn't happen now.

As I understand it - maybe I read it wrong - 14 year olds will have bowled on a full pitch before reaching that age. 10s and 11s won't have.

Whatever you think of the reasons behind things being like this, kids now don't respond well to adversity. I know because I have two who play under 9s cricket. When they fail and do it in front of a lot of other kids, it is extremely unlikely to motivate them. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.
It includes Under 12/13's.

So therefore they will commence "real cricket" at age 14, ridiculous.

The abacus argument, well....

All sports now cater for the young ones, ie 5-10 to learn the basic skills of their chosen sport ie Auskick, Hot Shots, Net Set Go, Kanga Cricket.
That's where they get modified rules, and 4-5 years of that is more than enough.

To be bowling your 1st ball on a regulation size pitch at 14 is ludicrous.

It includes Under 12/13's.

So therefore they will commence "real cricket" at age 14, ridiculous.

The abacus argument, well....

All sports now cater for the young ones, ie 5-10 to learn the basic skills of their chosen sport ie Auskick, Hot Shots, Net Set Go, Kanga Cricket.
That's where they get modified rules, and 4-5 years of that is more than enough.

To be bowling your 1st ball on a regulation size pitch at 14 is ludicrous.

You understand people can take their kids to the nets, right?

I have no problem with modified rules for the little 'uns, and shortening of pitches might not be a terrible idea. But when you consider most lads are well into puberty by the time they get to under fourteens I tend to think that's a little late to be starting on full size pitches.

Yes I do....
So you bowl full pitch in the nets, reduced pitch at training and in a game, back to a full pitch in the nets again, and so on...

Mate, if they're any good they can deal with it. Junior footballers that train on full sized grounds can handle it. Golfers that go from shorter courses to longer ones can handle it. Any kid cricketer that is good enough to play up an age group will handle it.

Bloody hell.

Mate, if they're any good they can deal with it. Junior footballers that train on full sized grounds can handle it. Golfers that go from shorter courses to longer ones can handle it. Any kid cricketer that is good enough to play up an age group will handle it.

Bloody hell.
Whatever....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back