MRP / Trib. Junior Rioli hit on Jordan Ridley

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar?

Hipwood didn't run off his opponent to hit Ridley 50m off the ball.

You're describing it like a bump. If Rioli wanted to bump him, he would have. He ran between 2 players and his trailing arm bounced off of Finlayson and glanced across Ridley's face.

You're describing it like a bump. If Rioli wanted to bump him, he would have. He ran between 2 players and his trailing arm bounced off of Finlayson and glanced across Ridley's face.

Glad this is facts.

Got any grainy, still-shot pictures to confirm? If so, I'll contact Ridley and ask him to stop exaggerating.

No I didn't.

I said hit. Which is what happened. Rioli hit him in the head.

It was at most a block attempt, which is one of the many kinds of contest where there is incidental head contact every minute of every game.
Players hit other players in the head off the ball every minute of every game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players block each other every minute of every game, there is incidental head contact at many of these blocks.
Just so we're clear.

You're suggesting players get hit in the head off the ball with an opponents arm every minute of every game?

Coz that's what's happened here. Rioli hit Ridley (accident or not) in the head with his arm.

You're saying that happens every minute of every game?

If the Tribunal was/is serious about rubbing this sort of behavior out of the game 3-4 weeks

But as we know they aren't, it will likely get 1-2 weeks

Nah, it is.

Probably just don't snipe someone behind the play and concuss them. Really good way to try and avoid a suspension in the first place.

Running what our? Blocking in the forward line?

Players running into other players?

Similar?

Hipwood didn't run off his opponent to hit Ridley 50m off the ball.

It wasn’t 50m off the ball. You’ve been told this, and shown this umpteen times in this thread.

The ball was kicked to the contest.. finlayson is going for the mark and Ridley was going to contest it.

Question … in a marking contest when the defender engages the forward with a shove in the back, or push or grab…. is that off the ball?

Answer that.

Running what our? Blocking in the forward line?

Players running into other players?

It wasn’t 50m off the ball. You’ve been told this, and shown this umpteen times in this thread.

The ball was kicked to the contest.. finlayson is going for the mark and Ridley was going to contest it.

Question … in a marking contest when the defender engages the forward with a shove in the back, or push or grab…. is that off the ball?

Answer that.

I would say that even if in a marking contest (which this wasn't), if it's looking like a 1v1 marking contest and a 3rd person comes in with no eyes for the ball, and concusses the opposition player with some sort of action...that's still actually quite bad.

Just so we're clear.

You're suggesting players get hit in the head off the ball with an opponents arm every minute of every game?

Coz that's what's happened here. Rioli hit Ridley (accident or not) in the head with his arm.

You're saying that happens every minute of every game?

No, that isn't what I said.

A block is a normal part of a football game that happens all over the ground every minute of every game. Calling it "off the ball" to make it sound like a non-footy action is either a gross misunderstanding of the game or an attempt to add a lot of sauce to the incident.

Players arms make contact with other player's heads every minute of every game. A player's arm inadvertently glancing off of another player's head doesn't make an incident worth weeks.

I would say that even if in a marking contest (which this wasn't), if it's looking like a 1v1 marking contest and a 3rd person comes in with no eyes for the ball, and concusses the opposition player with some sort of action...that's still actually quite bad.

I love that you keep repeating this without describing the action because you know if you describe what actually happens during the collision you'll have to exit Helen Lovejoy mode.

I love that you keep repeating this without describing the action because you know if you describe what actually happens during the collision you'll have to exit Helen Lovejoy mode.

I have said that the action is immaterial.

You lot are debating the severe 'impact'. Impact is not on the action (Unless a dangerous tackle - you can call it a chook lotto all you like, but the AFL has actually been pretty clear on this in regards to 'potential to cause injury' considered with dangerous tackles).

But for all others, 'impact' is based on the outcome. I couldn't care if Rioli's action was an elbow, a punch, a flick, or whispered sweet nothing's in his air. The cause and effect is Rioli committed an action that was the direct cause of Ridley being concussed. Irrelevant as to whether that action was intentional, or unlucky or whatever. That 'action' caused that 'outcome'. And the way the AFL works, that's why he's in trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back