Traded Junior Rioli (West Coast) - [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Sands of Time

Draftee
May 12, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Which clubs that are in a premiership window would want Darling though? (Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, Swans ect all good for KP forwards. GWS maybe would have a go for him??? But is he playing that much better then hogan and himmleberg I think we would have to get lucky for someone give us something that was worth us paying a decent portion of his wage. That’s if he wanted to leave also, which I can’t see happening. The back half of the year hopefully we can get some of these older players fit and inform to give them some kind of currency.

The other way to get top 30 picks would be to potentially trade multiple latter picks like our 3rd round and any others we get from trades to clubs that need points for father sons. Which is a lot harder now academy players don’t apply unless they are picked outside of pick 40.

mrposhman

Team Captain
Nov 9, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Just trying to work out the mechanics of how we do this? To achieve 5 picks inside the top 30, I think we'd have to split pick 1/2 and have to trade Darling while paying a percentage of his salary.

I don't think Gaff has the currency anymore...Which is not really his fault, although at his age, he'd be right on the cusp if playing to form.
He's been played horribly out of position which has ruined any meaningful currency he had left. (still be a great get for nearly any team who will plonk him on the wing an leave him there)

Willy would be worth that currency but the last thing the Eagles need to lose is a dynamic player. Even more than a 2nd forward in a forwardline where the #1 will be retiring.
We have way too many one paced, vanilla types. We need to not only keep the spice but add to it... Desperately.

JD would have the currency but only if we offset his long term, high value contract.
For both player and club, it would be best for a fresh start. Obvious player divisions have now occurred no matter what is being said publicly.

Picks as they currently stand - FWIW, I can't see us winning another game unless something drastic happens.
We already have 3 inside the top 30, hypothetically let's say Darling nets another top 30....Who would look to split 1/2 and what would be fair value? Very early days but from what I understand this draft is good but not really a clear stand out top tier elite player that could start a bidding war? (Ashcroft probable F/S, leading midfielder thus far? Lemmey/Scully maybe the ace in the pack?)

Hewett, Sheezel, Phillipou, Broadbent, Bevan, D'Aloia, Jones - Or a combination of worth this spilt in the first place?
Perhaps with the addition of Culley/Derksen in MSD too.

screen-shot-2022-05-09-at-17-27-54-png.1396328

I can't see anyone ponying up a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old Jack Darling.

Willie is a definite possibility, maybe to get that pick within 30, you need to use Rioli as the pawn to improve one of your other picks, like 37.

There would be a few contenders that might want him and a few that won't. I reckon Freo, Brisbane, Sydney and Richmond (possibly Melbourne) might be interested in adding Willie. Freo don't have the picks, Melbourne would probably offer up 36 for him. Brisbane likewise with 34. The option might be taking the pick in the 30's, and ponying it up with 37 and go for 1 of those higher picks that teams with f/s will trade down to gain more points. Eg 34 and 37 is 1025 points (about pick 12), so might be able to work with Brisbane (15) or the Bombers (21).

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong traded pick 30 for a 32 year old Shaun Higgins.

A second round pick for a contending side is 30-40. That's nothing for a key forward that has missed about 10 games in his entire career.
That was an uncharacteristically bad trade from Cats. Higgins was cooked already.

Back to Willie. Can we have him? Swap you for Castagna AND Aarts

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Rioli for Baker - straight swap?

Very good if you're West Coast but no way would Richmond be entertaining it

Baker is a heart and soal type. However he is a short utility being played forward at times, he doesnt really impact as a small forward and lets not pretend he has the skil level of Willie. They would consider it if Baker nominated the Eagles and Willie wanted to play with his cousins.

Vary rare player swaps but Baker has been mentioned in considering a move West and there is a connection there for Willie. Playing in the famous Imalu Tigers strip. Three Rioli's the marketing people would be frothing.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Baker is a heart and soal type. However he is a short utility being played forward at times, he doesnt really impact as a small forward and lets not pretend he has the skil level of Willie. They would consider it if Baker nominated the Eagles and Willie wanted to play with his cousins.

Vary rare player swaps but Baker has been mentioned in considering a move West and there is a connection there for Willie. Playing in the famous Imalu Tigers strip. Three Rioli's the marketing people would be frothing.
Rioli is 27 with injury concerns and had issues with the mean green and is likely to still be a flight risk home.

Baker is 24 and a consistent performer in good side and only getting better.

If I was Richmond I would expecting a bit more back than Rioli.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Rioli is 27 with injury concerns and had issues with the mean green and is likely to still be a flight risk home.

Maybe some pick swaps or a future 3rd to balance things up.

Pretty difficut to get a perfect swap for players. Someone thinks they paid too much or didnt get full value.

twce13

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
That's a terrible call. He's a hard bastard that has been called the biggest effort player in the comp by some experts. He'd be excellent anywhere.
That's your opinion. Doesn't change my opinion that I think he is a system player.
There's been plenty of hard / high effort players who have shifted teams and disappointed.

And it's not that I'm against baker, but it's buying him at his value currently which I think is inflated from said system.

As I said earlier, prefer to keep rioli. Whilst he has well known flaws, he's a game changer imo and the oppositie to baker in the sense we would be selling him at his lowest value.

Hard pass.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
No chance he's pretty happy over here, Considering where the clubs list is as well at 27, The club needs to hang onto players in that age bracket as well for a couple of years for a re-build considering they have 9 players over 30 but only 5 between 25-29

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

The 3rd street of the set in Monopoly is always worth double.

Get Willie and Richmond can start building houses and hotels.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
No chance he's pretty happy over here, Considering where the clubs list is as well at 27, The club needs to hang onto players in that age bracket as well for a couple of years for a re-build considering they have 9 players over 30 but only 5 between 25-29

If they did include Butler in the trade he is a younger vet who could grow with their youth though.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Which clubs that are in a premiership window would want Darling though? (Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, Swans ect all good for KP forwards. GWS maybe would have a go for him??? But is he playing that much better then hogan and himmleberg I think we would have to get lucky for someone give us something that was worth us paying a decent portion of his wage. That’s if he wanted to leave also, which I can’t see happening. The back half of the year hopefully we can get some of these older players fit and inform to give them some kind of currency.

The other way to get top 30 picks would be to potentially trade multiple latter picks like our 3rd round and any others we get from trades to clubs that need points for father sons. Which is a lot harder now academy players don’t apply unless they are picked outside of pick 40.

Freo is really the only option as he likely wont leave Perth.

It fits a real need. If they add Jackson and Darling they are in serious flag contention.

And they have young WA players we would be interested in. And a ruck who will look elsewhere if Jackson goes there.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
On todays Talking Tigers podcast Richo said watch this space in regards to the Willie Rioli to Tigers rumours...

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that Baker is signed what would eagles fans want for Willie?

A late 2nd or a pick upgrade.

Eagles are not tough traders, they will likely take a 3rd.

I was interested in Ben Miller in the past but he hasn't really come on. Fits a need (Lol Eagles need every type of player TBH :$ )

A swap for Stack who looks out of favour?

Depends on how nice the two clubs are. I heard at a BBQ here last week one of Willie's cousin's mentioned Essendon has an offer tabled better than the Eagles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie and the Eagles sadly agree the best place for him is in Melbourne. Both parties get closure and clean air from what happened. The club stood by him and supported him, but it would have been a rough ride for all parties. Some players didn't want him back.

At 27 he likely won't be playing when the Eagles contend again so maybe best to move him on for something and he get to play / live with family in Melbourne and plays finals. He is a great player.

Life moves on. :(

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
A late 2nd or a pick upgrade.

Eagles are not tough traders, they will likely take a 3rd.

I was interested in Ben Miller in the past but he hasn't really come on. Fits a need (Lol Eagles need every type of player TBH :$ )

A swap for Stack who looks out of favour?

Depends on how nice the two clubs are. I heard at a BBQ here last week one of Willie's cousin's mentioned Essendon has an offer tabled better than the Eagles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie and the Eagles sadly agree the best place for him is in Melbourne. Both parties get closure and clean air from what happened. The club stood by him and supported him, but it would have been a rough ride for all parties. Some players didn't want him back.

At 27 he likely won't be playing when the Eagles contend again so maybe best to move him on for something and he get to play / live with family in Melbourne and plays finals. He is a great player.

Life moves on. :(
Our later 2nd is 29 currently. I'd do that.

Ben Miller was nearly first delisted a few months ago but he's been quite good lately in defence and his last couple of games as 2nd ruck. He's a lifetime free agent though cos he's been delisted so no need for Eagles to trade if they did want him. Earned himself a couple more years though IMO.

There's been a couple reports lately that Stack will re sign which I was a bit surprised about seeing as Dimma never seems to want to play him.

Back