Food, Drink & Dining Out Junk food confessional

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. In fact I think they are one level sneakier again.

I have found that they will cycle through discounts, from very cheap to slightly cheaper then back to normal, over and over again, every few weeks.

Eg a $4.20 block of chocolate

Stage 1: half price ($2.10)
Stage 2: 2 for five dollars ($2.50)
Stage 3: 2 for six dollars ($3.00)
Stage 4: Normal pricing.

Stage one seems to be omitted often but cycles through stages 2-4 are very, very common, especially on confectionary.

Evil ******* sillys.

I don't know if they cycle prices progressively upwards like that, but I do know that companies like Cadbury, Coca Cola etc. pay for a lot of advertising space at the big supermarkets and have products on special every single week. I used to build displays of said products when I was a student and the Coke display would go from 24 pack cans to 2L bottles to 30 pack cans to 1.25L bottles to 18 pack cans to 2L bottles etc. etc.

If you walk down the front part of any supermarket between where all the aisles start and the checkouts and look at the end of aisle displays the majority is absolute crap. You get stuff like toilet rolls, washing powder etc. but most of it is confectionary, chips, biscuits, soft drinks etc. No wonder we're a nation of fat campaigners.

I don't know if they cycle prices progressively upwards like that, but I do know that companies like Cadbury, Coca Cola etc. pay for a lot of advertising space at the big supermarkets and have products on special every single week. I used to build displays of said products when I was a student and the Coke display would go from 24 pack cans to 2L bottles to 30 pack cans to 1.25L bottles to 18 pack cans to 2L bottles etc. etc.

If you walk down the front part of any supermarket between where all the aisles start and the checkouts and look at the end of aisle displays the majority is absolute crap. You get stuff like toilet rolls, washing powder etc. but most of it is confectionary, chips, biscuits, soft drinks etc. No wonder we're a nation of fat sillys.

The products are placed near the aisles has people are more likely to make impulse purchases on food and drink. They are regulated by appetite and hunger so they can be made more front of mind with a big display. Also you need to eat and drink to survive so people will always be buying food. Hungrier people will go for a more quick fix approach. When was the last time you had a hankering for some washing powder or batteries? They are functional items people buy when needed.

The bolded is something I can't work out. Why are people so fat? Yes it is because they eat and drink too much but why. Every system in the human body from temperature to repository to brain function relies on homoeostasis. That is it balances to a set point. Weight as well. So why can't fat peoples weight regulate properly? Surely under normal conditions if you get too fat your body should speed its metabolism up and shed the excess weight. Instead its the opposite. So are supermarkets causing everyone to suddenly get fat or are they exploiting a problem that is already there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back