Society/Culture Jussie Smollett

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been waiting for a thread to start on this (yes, I could have started one myself).

I guess right up until he got found out he would have thought he was smart.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
1550840328961.png

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Should be a prison sentence involved for stunts like this on the basis of inciting racial hatred.
I think that's the worst part of it. He's essentially damaging racial relations further and as much as I dislike conservatives, he attempted to use them as an easy scape goat because it fits the narrative.

Sounds like the fake anthrax scare through the US post is a federal crime and will see him in jail. But, ironically, he is more privileged than most people and that will perhaps get him off.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
guess right up until he got found out he would have thought he was smart
That's one of the weirder things. His whole story was so dumb and so full of holes. Like, he waited for police to come and he just stood there with a noose around his neck with no real signs of violence? He could call police but not remove a noose lol.

Mental illness justification here we come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Lots of real hate crimes happen every day and are largely ignored by the people frothing over this. What this f***ing idiot has done is made reporting them harder.

I find the term 'hate crime" interesting.

It's as if certain crimes (contemporary left issues) are assigned a higher level of emotional investment.

One man knocks out another man after an argument over a car space= not "hate crime".
One man racially/sexually abuses another man after an argument over a car space= "hate crime".

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The supply of racism in the US is not meeting the demand. Jussie, along with the native activist fake-Vietnam-vet, a few women lying about their head scarf being ripped off, multiple instances of neo nazi graffiti being found to have been committed by African Americans, the list goes on.

If it weren't for people faking hate crimes (or sexual assaults, for that matter) then all victims could be trusted. I feel for genuine victims who will face intense scepticism in the future.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Whats worse? A tweet or the ruckus this banana has created?

There appears to be a double standard here based on a person's percieved oppression.

Update - sen news mentioned he was taken out of the remainder of the current season
I never created this false dichotomy -- you did. She called a black Muslim a Muslim brotherhood ape. That's more than 'stupid'.

You can see from above I think what Smollett did was disgusting and was playing on current societal divides to benefit himself.

I find the term 'hate crime" interesting.

It's as if certain crimes (contemporary left issues) are assigned a higher level of emotional investment.

One man knocks out another man after an argument over a car space= not "hate crime".
One man racially/sexually abuses another man after an argument over a car space= "hate crime".
When did a man sexually abuse another man over a car space?

The three letter F word gets dropped and it becomes a sexuality motivated hate crime.

It's a bit risky because if someone does something stupid and someone calls them out for doing something stupid, if being stupid is a racial or otherwise ethnic stereotype then it becomes an attack on identity and that makes it a hate crime.

Smollett won't get sent to prison for this. Chicago Police can be black, the judge can be black, the jury can be all black and it will still be a racially charged decision. He will lose his job, which was rumoured to be happening anyway, and he won't get the Nike shoe deal so he will fade into obscurity only to be brought up to be used as a political pawn.

It's a horrible case of the boy who cried wolf and the next one won't be as listened to. Maybe that's good for the USA, they have tended to jump on and propagate any story that supports their side's narrative. Fox runs stories of illegal immigrants killing pretty blonde American girls, CNN runs a story about illegal immigrants running a dog shelter, Fox runs a story about firearm instructor stopping gunman, CNN runs a story about a teenager disrespecting a native american veteran by smiling at him in a MAGA hat.

The most dangerous part of all of it is that most people seem to get very comfortable in their chair, planted firmly on one side of a trench they see in their mind and only consume media that both validates their position and doesn't make them uncomfortable. Boiling it down to a more and more volatile form.

Pretty soon it will erupt.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

FK explained it.

The extrapolation of your logic makes an interpretation of racial abuse interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back