Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Ajax,Stuttgart,Bayern,Eagles,Braves
I had arthroscopic knee surgery 2 weeks ago to remove part of a torn lateral meniscus. I want to get back into sport ASAP. Has anyone had one of these before and can tell me how the best exercises to do? Is there any chance I can be running around again in a month?

Thanks.

I tore the meniscus in my left (non-dominant) knee playing footy a few years ago.

I saw a physio who gave me ultra sound treatment (using that heating gel to stimulate growth), and gave me a series of exercies including one-legged squats (without any weight, being ultra careful) to build up the leg again, as well as learning to balance (both with one leg and then two) on those medicine ball/platform type things.

It probably took about a year for the sharp pain to go away, but I was back playing in about 6 or 7 weeks.
So you never had surgery for it?

Nope.

The doctor and physio both said that it would naturally repair itself, and that it was my decision. I decided against surgery as we were in the middle of a premiership year, and I wasn't going to miss out.

They gave me the option to go in for the clean-up should the pain continue later on down the track, but I've never had any troubles with it since.
You were lucky mine was torn where it wouldn't repair itself and surgery couldn't repair it either because no blood could get to it. Had to get it removed.

Had both a lateral and medial ligament repair , lateral at 19 took the year off and played for the next 15 years no worries . Got a tear in the medial at 34, in a praccy match and played through the year with it , had scope the following year , and came back mid that season is and have been told will never be any good !
I can longer straighten that leg and constantly grinds !
Take the year off will be well worth it !

I had arthroscopic knee surgery 2 weeks ago to remove part of a torn lateral meniscus. I want to get back into sport ASAP. Has anyone had one of these before and can tell me how the best exercises to do? Is there any chance I can be running around again in a month?

Thanks.

Tears can vary in size obviously, however you would expect to be back running between 2-4 weeks and at reasonable function between 6-8 weeks.
You need to strengthen up your quads, in particular the inside part of it. You also need to do balance work, hip stability work, core work and strengthening of the calves and hamstrings.
A progressive running program beginning with straight line jog and finishing with agility sprinting/ full training should be included.
Ensure you control the swelling and progress according to how your knee responds -eg if it swells up back off for a few days.

Tears can vary in size obviously, however you would expect to be back running between 2-4 weeks and at reasonable function between 6-8 weeks.
You need to strengthen up your quads, in particular the inside part of it. You also need to do balance work, hip stability work, core work and strengthening of the calves and hamstrings.
A progressive running program beginning with straight line jog and finishing with agility sprinting/ full training should be included.
Ensure you control the swelling and progress according to how your knee responds -eg if it swells up back off for a few days.
So I should be focusing on squats and hamstring curls?

a team mate and i both did knees last season within two rounds of each other and through coincidence ended up in beds opposite each other hurling insults at each other across the rooms right up until they wheeled the first of us in to operate. while both diagnosed with meniscus tears his was a simple cut and clean and he was back running in two weeks whilst mine was a disaster and took 3 months to get back to being able to run without it swelling like a basketball. We both now have issues still but in my case in particular ive found it neccesary to completely alter my size, fitness and abilities to match the restrictions put on me by my knee.

Squats, dead lifts, hamstring curls, leg raises everything... lots of cycling to build other muscles, its all a huge benefit in strengthening the rest of your leg to make your knee more secure.

Theres guys on here who know the details better than i as to what you should do but trust me when i tell you that the more work into the rest of your body the better you r knee will be for it

hamstring curls no - the hamstrings never work as a sole knee flexor, more of as hip extensor so deadlifts should be your focus, even before squats

i'd also get your ankle and hip mobility up to scratch and do as much single leg work as you can to build up the leg stabiliser muscles

So I should be focusing on squats and hamstring curls?

Assuming your around 2 weeks? Rough guide.

Single leg squats, single leg calf raises. Single leg bridge. Single leg balance work. Clam shells.

On top of that just more quads work being weighted lunges/step ups/squats.

Bike is OK assuming your no longer aggravated by knee flexion.

Probably some straight line running, start light.

Just one? I've had about 10, and they keep calling them "partial". The parts would be pretty small by now

thats because if they did a full meniscectomy (like they did 15 years ago) your knees would be gone and you'd be in for a knee replacement 10 years down the track.

to the OP, be careful because you've had a lateral injury, you're a lot more prone to early degeneration compared to if you did your medial due to the mechanics of the knee joint complex

thats because if they did a full meniscectomy (like they did 15 years ago) your knees would be gone and you'd be in for a knee replacement 10 years down the track.

to the OP, be careful because you've had a lateral injury, you're a lot more prone to early degeneration compared to if you did your medial due to the mechanics of the knee joint complex

My surgeon says i need a knee replacement in my 40's anyway (33 now)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, unless you cant walk, no one should be getting a knee replacement in their 40s. even the early 50s is pushing it. the way the protheses are made and installed, you're gonna get 15 years max of good use from the knee. and revisions are probably only successful for the first time only. so unless you only plan on living till about 70, i'd hold off from a knee replacement until you're as old as possible

IMO, unless you cant walk, no one should be getting a knee replacement in their 40s. even the early 50s is pushing it. the way the protheses are made and installed, you're gonna get 15 years max of good use from the knee. and revisions are probably only successful for the first time only. so unless you only plan on living till about 70, i'd hold off from a knee replacement until you're as old as possible

I won't be getting one at all. Know a guy who had one in his early 50's and it turned out ok, but still massive scar and lots of rehab and pain.

So 1 month post op now but now I'm getting weakness behind my knee cap. I almost fell over today because my knee almost buckled. I don't know what's going on I never had pain in this spot before the op???

So 1 month post op now but now I'm getting weakness behind my knee cap. I almost fell over today because my knee almost buckled. I don't know what's going on I never had pain in this spot before the op???

I have pretty nasty pain behind both patellas when going down stairs...i think once you have it, it's there for good. Dunno what causes it - i dislocated my left knee but not my right, however my right knee has that pain as well.

I have pretty nasty pain behind both patellas when going down stairs...i think once you have it, it's there for good. Dunno what causes it - i dislocated my left knee but not my right, however my right knee has that pain as well.
I should rephrase I'm not getting much pain just weakness.

a common post operative complaint is a patellofemoral issues due to them compromising the knee extensor mechanism. Lateral quads over work and the medial quads become weak. u develop decreased knee stability and anterior knee pain. simple sumo squats and lunges will help if you start early enough. just need to make sure you have the right biomechanics when doing the exercises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back