Just play the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

At what stage do we expect a game from nathan murphy ? is he injured
Soon, possibly ANZAC day (I would). Was one of our best in the first half yesterday playing wing/half back. Hard at the footy including in the air. Just needed to tidy up his kicking a bit.

The other consideration is the impact of the new rules. Currently key defenders are being exposed one on one more often and there’s more space for fast outside players and forwards. By extension this means young players may need more time or could play sooner.

The writing was on the walls at the end of last year

PLAY THE KIDS...

Get games into Rantall, TBrown, Bianco, Keane, Wilson, Lynch, Macrae, Kelly, Ruscoe, McInnes, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery, Chugg, Henry and Tohill

I'm not saying play them all at once and tank, but rotate them through, give them blocks of 2-4 games, 2 or 3 at a time, let's see what they can do

Stop playing the blokes that have had enough chances and that aren't going to win us a Premiership: Mayne, CalBrown, Greenwood, Thomas, WHE and Sier

I'm sick of hearing excused like "he's too small", "needs more muscle", etc. Look at Lachie Sholl from the Crows. Pick 64 in the draft and he's a great kick, but he's small. The Crows gave him games last year and he did so well, despite being a twig. Got a Rising Star nom last year, got another one last week. Just ******* give them a go and see what they can do

As I said in my posts in November, we don't achieve anything by just making the top 8, we are not going to win it. We also have enough good youngsters to do a "mini rebuild" and push again in the next 5 years. The core young group of 20-28 year olds is very strong, we just need to fill in the gaps...

The writing was on the walls at the end of last year

PLAY THE KIDS...

Get games into Rantall, TBrown, Bianco, Keane, Wilson, Lynch, Macrae, Kelly, Ruscoe, McInnes, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery, Chugg, Henry and Tohill

I'm not saying play them all at once and tank, but rotate them through, give them blocks of 2-4 games, 2 or 3 at a time, let's see what they can do

Stop playing the blokes that have had enough chances and that aren't going to win us a Premiership: Mayne, CalBrown, Greenwood, Thomas, WHE and Sier

I'm sick of hearing excused like "he's too small", "needs more muscle", etc. Look at Lachie Sholl from the Crows. Pick 64 in the draft and he's a great kick, but he's small. The Crows gave him games last year and he did so well, despite being a twig. Got a Rising Star nom last year, got another one last week. Just ******* give them a go and see what they can do

But aren’t we already doing that?

Can you point to any season in the last two decades where we gave more kids more games by round 6?

Can you point to any season in the last two decades where we gave more kids more games by round 6?
Dunno, I'm just talking about from here on. I don't care if we win or lose, as long as I keep getting a look at the youngsters. The 6 blokes I mentioned, Mayne, CalBrown, Greenwood, Thomas, WHE and Sier, I don't want them playing over a youngster.

Richmond finished 13th in 2016 and then won the flag and became the best team in the comp in 2017, things change quickly in footy.

Dunno, I'm just talking about from here on. I don't care if we win or lose, as long as I keep getting a look at the youngsters. The 6 blokes I mentioned, Mayne, CalBrown, Greenwood, Thomas, WHE and Sier, I don't want them playing over a youngster.

Richmond finished 13th in 2016 and then won the flag and became the best team in the comp in 2017, things change quickly in footy.
Greenwood is a beast. He is hard. That’s the only one I’d keep. The others? I agree, 100% (throw in Cox, as well).

What did people think of Cox's game? I was not that impressed.
I actually watched it.
He seemed a bit like a fish out of water in the first half and then he got into it. Another week in the 2s for me. He needs to smash it for a couple of weeks (or the seniors need to really stink ) before he comes back.

100%

The 2018-19 era is done.

I’m all about rd 1 2023.

In the next 18 months put blocks of games into the kids. So that by rd 1 2023 we have several 2019/2020 draftees in our line up who have already played 20-30 games

That means sacrificing a little in the short term. Having 10 players a week in our line up who have played 50 games or less

Rd 1: 8 players with 50 games or less
Rd 2: 6
Rd 3: 6
Rd 4: 6
Rd 5: 9

Find out which kids are going to be of long term value by giving them blocks of games in the seniors and cut the ones that aren’t.

Need to open up the list spots so we can be aggressive in the next couple of mid year and year end drafts
Agree but 2023...

Even Jesus said jesus

I actually watched it.
He seemed a bit like a fish out of water in the first half and then he got into it. Another week in the 2s for me. He needs to smash it for a couple of weeks (or the seniors need to really stink ) before he comes back.
Disagree better at AFL level...probably get injured playing VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree but 2023...

Even Jesus said jesus

How many 100 game+ players do you think a team needs playing week after week to be contending? IIRC Mick Malthouse once said the number was around 12.

2023 is probably a bit optimistic if anything.

How many 100 game+ players do you think a team needs playing week after week to be contending? IIRC Mick Malthouse once said the number was around 12.

2023 is probably a bit optimistic if anything.
Yep...

Tbh hate where the club is at..

You need majority of players having played between 35 an 100 games to be in contention with a few veterans

Yep...

Tbh hate where the club is at..

You need majority of players having played between 35 an 100 games to be in contention with a few veterans

Yeah, maybe we need to reset expectations ...

... which we should have seen coming when we turned over nearly a quarter of our list last off season. Looking like something similar next off-season.

Yeah, maybe we need to reset expectations ...

... which we should have seen coming when we turned over nearly a quarter of our list last off season. Looking like something similar next off-season.
Turnover isn’t even turnover unless the guys you’re introducing are the guys who are going to make it... they’re just going to get turned over/replaced themselves. So to be competitive in a couple of years, we need to start getting games into the right players now! Eeek.

It’s not that we haven’t played kids. It’s that we have room for more when all of Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas and WHE are playing irrespective of their form.

If those 4 are all in the line up then we are denying games to the kids.

Unless he sets the world on fire in the VFL... WHE shouldn’t play seniors again.

Adams, De Goey injuries have a silver lining in that it gives Rantall, T Brown opportunity to play in the middle..

Likewise Elliot’s injury means we should be rewarding Henry VFL form or throwing a utility like Murphy up there etc

Howes injury and Moore up front means Keane/Kelly should get an extended run down back

This is the stuff we have to do because of injuries. But if those players weren’t injured Bucks would still be selecting players from the 18/19 era

If we blood these players now and pump games into them then Rd 1 2023 we will have a side that is capable of making the 8.

It will have the youth and the 6-8 senior players like Grundy, Howe, Sidebottom, Moore, Adams, Pendlebury... providing experience and leadership

Out of curiosity I made a line up based on "Kids" (25 or under at the end of 2021). While it's nice to see we have a strong group of players in that age bracket, it's equally disappointing how little we've seen of most them. Only 8 of the 25 I've listed (I've bolded them) have played more than 5 games, while I acknowledge it is excusable for the 2020 (and to an extent 2019) draftees to not have many games on the board, some of these players have been around for a while now and we just haven't seen enough of them to know if they're worthwhile persisting with.

Chugg, Keane, Wilson
Quaynor, Kelly, Noble

Lynch, Macrae, Rantall
Daicos, Maynard, T. Brown

McInees, Moore, Henry
McCreery, McMahon, De Goey

Bianco/Ruscoe/Murphy/ Sier/Tohill/Ginnivan/Poulter

I actually watched it.
I thought Cox was very very ordinary in the VFL. Was lucky to kick a goal. Again was outmarked. He is just one of those guys that unless everything is handed to him perfectly, he will struggle.

Having said that. He seems to fire up in front of a crowd and so I would play him against the Bombers.

Nixon, Davidson, Richards, King and C Cloke all debuted by round 6

Yagmoor Seedsman Paine and Ugle all before round 6

Last edited:
Yea I'm all for having senior players around to protect the kids and to not become a basket case like North/Suns just playing kids.

The issue is when the senior players add no value and provide less output than what a kid could do in their place (ie Mayne, C Brown, Thomas etc). Someone like a Greenwood is still useful to the side as his output is actually quite good (hardness, tagging, winning clearances).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back