Autopsy JUST WHEN YOU GIVE UP, THEY REEL YOU RIGHT BACK IN (Freo by 15)

Remove this Banner Ad

I only want to move Young because he is big, he can kick and has spacial awareness in tight (ie Mundy). I don't have a problem with him being a defender but if can perform at the same level in the middle it is more valuable.

The rest I think can stay back except maybe Chapman.
I see the similarities to Mundy in some regards but Hayden Young is an intercept marking machine.

Possibly in the top 5 kicks I've seen from any player, all year.
It was a bloody corker - the kick basically threaded two needles... Crowded threaded it past the spoiling defender in front of him just before the spoil (needle one) and it drew Shultz forward enough to have the two defenders collide behind him - if it was another foot to the left or right when it reached Shultz then one of those defenders may have been favoured enough to spoil, but it arrived with perfect timing (needle two). Mitch almost deserves an extension on the back of that one game alone. Great stuff!

Last edited:

I only want to move Young because he is big, he can kick and has spacial awareness in tight (ie Mundy). I don't have a problem with him being a defender but if can perform at the same level in the middle it is more valuable.

The rest I think can stay back except maybe Chapman.
Think Hodge role and he is your man.
Bursts of midfield minutes, especially when plan A isn’t working.
Players that can use the ball, hit a leading player, or kick to space, advantage are Gold.
Crowden, Henry, Young are too good for one position only, and especially forward flank.
That should change with the introduction of a genuine medium tall.
If JLo gets creative I can see this team being almost impossible to negate.
Cox forward is also a real possibility, with Treacy, Tabs, all having different styles to contend with.

I'm having a very difficult time in my life right now and I don't think I've ever felt so despondent. It's tougher than I've ever known.

Because of the "mauling" the lions gave us, for the first time since 2015, work commitments or otherwise, I decided not to watch this game. I couldn't put myself through 2 hours of getting obliterated by an obnoxious, self-entitled organisation that has had the wood over us for so long with the way I've been feeling. I figured if, by some miraculously way of fate - the guys get up, I can watch it, because I have a DVD recorder - oldie, but reliable machine. So I felt somewhat vindicated in my decision even though I am LOATHED to not watch the team, men or women. I never miss a game where I can watch it. Until last Sunday :(

Of course I was going to follow the scores via the AFL page, but what I expected to see.....a walloping......did not occur. Instead, I thought I was witnessing some kind of weird mirage as the scores told me the Dockers had kicked 8, yes.....8! goals to quarter time. I thought maybe there's a glitch in the machine or page.

But no. I was wrong. It was then somewhat heart in mouth when I kept checking scores and seeing the gap close and the Dockers failing to capitalise, I had to go run errands and go out for dinner. But all I could focus on was the 'hope' that they'd just somehow claw their way over the line. Not watching and knowing exactly what was going on....whose end it was at, especially out of choice - was hard.

When I watched the game later that night, it was awesome to sit back and know the result and not have that heart attack feel watching it unfold live - finally that 11 game hoodoo was broken!! Complete elation; yet the sheer adrenalin and excitement of getting over the line in front of your very eyes as it happens can never be replicated. It's one of the best things when it goes your way.

Unbelievable performance, especially that first quarter! We took a huge amount of "belief pills", flexed some brawn and went to work. Never seen them shrug off tackles so nonchalantly and the way they swarmed and hunted in numbers. Especially against the arch enemy. The atmosphere was electric, must have been a hell of a game to be at.....one of the best Derbies I've personally watched, having only really followed the Dockers since 2010.

Just when you think it's all but gone, just when you want to let your head drop and cave in.....they showed incredible resilience and determination. Incredible will and fortitude. A scintillating and inspiring win, one for the ages! Several days later and I see most people still buzzing. It's a great feeling, something to hang your hat on. It's a starting point when it feels like you're at one of your lowest ebbs. Now, if we can somehow just make Finals - how nuts would that be?!?!

Things are tough. Life is so uncertain and up in the air. But that was a proud day to follow such a great team and club, and it proved one thing. You just never know, when that wheel is gonna turn. This was that moment, I feel :)

Whatever happens now, I'm proud that the club showed true grit and belief in the face of adversity. A win is still no guarantee and we need other results to fall our way - is it asking too much?! I don't know, we have to win first & foremost before we even get a chance to worry about that. But with such a depleted injury list throughout the year - no Brayshaw, Fyfe, Walters etc.............that was a classy win. Real classy. I enjoyed every ounce of it, but maybe the fact we scored just 2 goals after half time hahaha!

Well done Dockers, so very well done. Even with everything going on and football not the most important thing in life, you made me very very happy that day :D

I'm having a very difficult time in my life right now and I don't think I've ever felt so despondent. It's tougher than I've ever known.

Because of the "mauling" the lions gave us, for the first time since 2015, work commitments or otherwise, I decided not to watch this game. I couldn't put myself through 2 hours of getting obliterated by an obnoxious, self-entitled organisation that has had the wood over us for so long with the way I've been feeling. I figured if, by some miraculously way of fate - the guys get up, I can watch it, because I have a DVD recorder - oldie, but reliable machine. So I felt somewhat vindicated in my decision even though I am LOATHED to not watch the team, men or women. I never miss a game where I can watch it. Until last Sunday :(

Of course I was going to follow the scores via the AFL page, but what I expected to see.....a walloping......did not occur. Instead, I thought I was witnessing some kind of weird mirage as the scores told me the Dockers had kicked 8, yes.....8! goals to quarter time. I thought maybe there's a glitch in the machine or page.

But no. I was wrong. It was then somewhat heart in mouth when I kept checking scores and seeing the gap close and the Dockers failing to capitalise, I had to go run errands and go out for dinner. But all I could focus on was the 'hope' that they'd just somehow claw their way over the line. Not watching and knowing exactly what was going on....whose end it was at, especially out of choice - was hard.

When I watched the game later that night, it was awesome to sit back and know the result and not have that heart attack feel watching it unfold live - finally that 11 game hoodoo was broken!! Complete elation; yet the sheer adrenalin and excitement of getting over the line in front of your very eyes as it happens can never be replicated. It's one of the best things when it goes your way.

Unbelievable performance, especially that first quarter! We took a huge amount of "belief pills", flexed some brawn and went to work. Never seen them shrug off tackles so nonchalantly and the way they swarmed and hunted in numbers. Especially against the arch enemy. The atmosphere was electric, must have been a hell of a game to be at.....one of the best Derbies I've personally watched, having only really followed the Dockers since 2010.

Just when you think it's all but gone, just when you want to let your head drop and cave in.....they showed incredible resilience and determination. Incredible will and fortitude. A scintillating and inspiring win, one for the ages! Several days later and I see most people still buzzing. It's a great feeling, something to hang your hat on. It's a starting point when it feels like you're at one of your lowest ebbs. Now, if we can somehow just make Finals - how nuts would that be?!?!

Things are tough. Life is so uncertain and up in the air. But that was a proud day to follow such a great team and club, and it proved one thing. You just never know, when that wheel is gonna turn. This was that moment, I feel :)

Whatever happens now, I'm proud that the club showed true grit and belief in the face of adversity. A win is still no guarantee and we need other results to fall our way - is it asking too much?! I don't know, we have to win first & foremost before we even get a chance to worry about that. But with such a depleted injury list throughout the year - no Brayshaw, Fyfe, Walters etc.............that was a classy win. Real classy. I enjoyed every ounce of it, but maybe the fact we scored just 2 goals after half time hahaha!

Well done Dockers, so very well done. Even with everything going on and football not the most important thing in life, you made me very very happy that day :D
The essence of sport is to take you “outside your yourself“ and let you forget your troubles. Sometimes following Freo is very tough and seems to add to your woes not alleviate them. Very happy the win gave you a lift as it did us all. Remember mate one foot after another and you are not alone.👍

It was a bloody corker - the kick basically threaded two needles... Crowded threaded it past the spoiling defender in front of him just before the spoil (needle one) and it drew Shultz forward enough to have the two defenders collide behind him - if it was another foot to the left or right when it reached Shultz then one of those defenders may have been favoured enough to spoil, but it arrived with perfect timing (needle two). Mitch almost deserves an extension on the back of that one game alone. Great stuff!
Based on the result of two Eagles colliding, best kick I've ever seen I mean, what could be better?

Whilst you don't wish injury on anyone, it's interesting how battered we've been after losing derbies over the last 5 years.
Eagles now lose and come out hurting - Kelly - knee, Kennedy - finger, Sheppard - concussion, Cripps - missing teeth, McGovern - hip. Glad not to be on the receiving end for once!

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet and I haven't seen it in the news but Oscar Allen was getting a lot of attention before the game on his left hand, big huddle of medical staff working and he looked quite uncomfortable.

Might have just been a split webbing but it could also have been wrist related given the gestures he was putting out.

Think Hodge role and he is your man.
Bursts of midfield minutes, especially when plan A isn’t working.
Players that can use the ball, hit a leading player, or kick to space, advantage are Gold.
Crowden, Henry, Young are too good for one position only, and especially forward flank.
That should change with the introduction of a genuine medium tall.
If JLo gets creative I can see this team being almost impossible to negate.
Cox forward is also a real possibility, with Treacy, Tabs, all having different styles to contend with.
The versatility we're building in this list is the most exciting thing I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Snuffaluphagus so rightly stated in his review thread title the week prior, this team most definitely giveth, and they undoubtedly take away.
However, because of the club's less than storied history, when they giveth, boy does it mean so very very much to us all!! I'm glad you could enjoy the match sans anxious anticipation (something I was without the luxury of haha). BettercallSaul is right when he states that you're not alone, and feel free to send me a PM if you just need to shoot the breeze. Take care brother.

That was good. Mundy accidentally elbowing gagff instead of Shep would have topped things for me. Life lacks in the specific details sometimes.
Between spinning away from Shuey and kicking a goal, having Cripps run into his elbow and sulk like he'd been attacked and pulling his hand away from Ryan... he really rattled the Eagles, they'll be shuddering every time they see his face :tearsofjoy:

Yer it was Cripps and he sooked all the way to the bench, including giving one of our Benchwarmers a mouthful too.

Was a typical private school melt🤣

He proved himself to be a sook, and has a very poor tackling technique.

You need good tackle to catch a barramundy.

I just realised I never commented in this thread. Just been basking in what was one of the great wins I can remember.
So so proud of the club this week. Its these wins that make up for all the rest of the pain supporting Freo.
Stepping back, on top of everything, it was a terrific game of footy. That's probably what makes it such a great win as much as anything
- Incredible start
- Fanatic pressure
- Massive fightback
- Deafening crowd
- Freak goals

If we do go on a bit of streak here (big if), it'll be one of the derbies talked about for a long time

Stepping back, on top of everything, it was a terrific game of footy. That's probably what makes it such a great win as much as anything
- Incredible start
- Fanatic pressure
- Massive fightback
- Deafening crowd
- Freak goals

If we do go on a bit of streak here (big if), it'll be one of the derbies talked about for a long time
Sorry to go a little bit off track here, but I think this week is the definition of ‘it’s very rarely as bad or as good as it seems’. We constantly react to results to the furthest extreme.

Last week prior to the Derby, the world was collapsing & fans were questioning players, coaches & management at the club. It really was a fantastic win all things considered, but whether we won or lost that game, it makes no difference to the path the club is taking but just shows we are heading the right direction.

Strong decisions beginning last year on players & staff, a game plan that is evolving & variable to the conditions with a very inexperienced team playing & showing some inconsistent form as all young groups do. Not to mention a list that is also evolving & showing that if we have so called key players out, we are still capable.

I really am surprised that fans are questioning the coaching of Longmuir with this specific group that he has basically inherited. It will take a couple more years to realise its full potential as Longmuir brings in players specific to his coaching style & not part of the rebuild of the former coach.

Im a big fan of Longmuir & his modern approach & couldn’t give 2 fukcs on how he speaks to the media, the important part is the message & how that message is communicated to the players behind closed doors.

Please note Snuffaluphagus, this is not directed a you, but you do provide some thought provoking posts.

Sorry to go a little bit off track here, but I think this week is the definition of ‘it’s very rarely as bad or as good as it seems’. We constantly react to results to the furthest extreme.

Last week prior to the Derby, the world was collapsing & fans were questioning players, coaches & management at the club. It really was a fantastic win all things considered, but whether we won or lost that game, it makes no difference to the path the club is taking but just shows we are heading the right direction.

Strong decisions beginning last year on players & staff, a game plan that is evolving & variable to the conditions with a very inexperienced team playing & showing some inconsistent form as all young groups do. Not to mention a list that is also evolving & showing that if we have so called key players out, we are still capable.

I really am surprised that fans are questioning the coaching of Longmuir with this specific group that he has basically inherited. It will take a couple more years to realise its full potential as Longmuir brings in players specific to his coaching style & not part of the rebuild of the former coach.

Im a big fan of Longmuir & his modern approach & couldn’t give 2 fukcs on how he speaks to the media, the important part is the message & how that message is communicated to the players behind closed doors.

Please note Snuffaluphagus, this is not directed a you, but you do provide some thought provoking posts.
Great post and I realise its not directed at me but I will clarify that the streak I'm talking about relates to a Derby winning changing of the guard streak

As someone who tries to parrot that phrase particularly when we lose a lot, I'll go into bat for those that have done 180s the last two weeks.
A) The reaction to derby wins/losses is ALWAYS 2 x as emotional as other games on here, just the nature of the game being the little kid in state I suppose
B) I think of those who backed JL BUT had some concerns (ie me, Cesoir), the concerns were primarily the inability of the players to stand up in big games. In a game that was played like an elimination final, the youngest side in the comp stood up and won, that's big. Not only that, we saw some fight from the guys. They stood up for themselves, got a bit angry out there, showed some emotion. I think too many times this year the guys have just stood back and taken s**t (the way Brisbane tagetted AB for example). Now, this is likely a lot due to the age of the team but still, its good to know they have it in them because I dont think you win flags without a healthy dose of campaigner behind you

I do probably disagree with you a bit about winning or losing making no difference in that game because I think those wins can do A LOT for young teams. This group has a point of reference for what they are aspiring for now.

Was there an overreaction on here to that win? Most definitely. Is it deserved overreaction though? 100% =)

Great post and I realise its not directed at me but I will clarify that the streak I'm talking about relates to a Derby winning changing of the guard streak

As someone who tries to parrot that phrase particularly when we lose a lot, I'll go into bat for those that have done 180s the last two weeks.
A) The reaction to derby wins/losses is ALWAYS 2 x as emotional as other games on here, just the nature of the game being the little kid in state I suppose
B) I think of those who backed JL BUT had some concerns (ie me, Cesoir), the concerns were primarily the inability of the players to stand up in big games. In a game that was played like an elimination final, the youngest side in the comp stood up and won, that's big. Not only that, we saw some fight from the guys. They stood up for themselves, got a bit angry out there, showed some emotion. I think too many times this year the guys have just stood back and taken sh*t (the way Brisbane tagetted AB for example). Now, this is likely a lot due to the age of the team but still, its good to know they have it in them because I dont think you win flags without a healthy dose of campaigner behind you

I do probably disagree with you a bit about winning or losing making no difference in that game because I think those wins can do A LOT for young teams. This group has a point of reference for what they are aspiring for now.

Was there an overreaction on here to that win? Most definitely. Is it deserved overreaction though? 100% =)
Yep all fair points & the Derby response by all, including me was warranted & my WC friends are yet to talk to me, which is a positive. But I will say it has happened fairly consistently this season.

In regards to big games, as a player & a coach you need experience in playing in big games & you generally lose more than you win as a young group as part of your education. The fact that we have so few players who have been part of meaningful games means we‘ve got a bit of learnings to go before we’re comfortable in that situation.

It also can’t be underestimated the lack of on field leadership we have had at various times this year in regards to responding to opposition teams tactics.

Whether Sundays win is an evolution of that, including a bit of grunt, then great & of course the win is great for the group, but 6 months of pre season means 17 teams start as the chasers, which we would have been whether we win or lose that game. It’s all learnings & the comment I guess was more about me & where I see us headed from a coaches perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back