Movie Justice League: The Snyder Cut

Remove this Banner Ad

It's weird seeing all that extra footage from a film that was released 3 years ago. Not a bad watch though, it certainly had more to it than the Whedon version, although I thought there were a few things that could have been kept, such as one or two jokes here and there.

Flash is a lot more bearable in this version, Cyborg and Aquaman are probably still the weak points.

I really liked all the Darkseid stuff, and the grim apocalyptic vision of the future. The anti-life equation definitely works in this movie as a teaser.

I was waiting for that Aquaman part when he was sitting on the Lasso on the plane and starts being a little too honest about his feelings, but alas it was gone. I thought the more backstory to Cyborg made him so much more interesting, but he's a pretty morose guy throughout the film. Agreed, all the Darkseid stuff was excellent and it was a shame they redid Steppenwolf without Liam Neeson's voice this time. Some of it is quite different from Whedon's film, I read they spent $40m doing reshoots for this. Superman in a black suit didn't do anything for me TBH, and Batman looked fat in some scenes. The Flash part at the end was excellent and it gave that character a real superhero moment which was lacking in the first movie. But overall, excellent film.

I was waiting for that Aquaman part when he was sitting on the Lasso on the plane and starts being a little too honest about his feelings, but alas it was gone. I thought the more backstory to Cyborg made him so much more interesting, but he's a pretty morose guy throughout the film. Agreed, all the Darkseid stuff was excellent and it was a shame they redid Steppenwolf without Liam Neeson's voice this time. Some of it is quite different from Whedon's film, I read they spent $40m doing reshoots for this. Superman in a black suit didn't do anything for me TBH, and Batman looked fat in some scenes. The Flash part at the end was excellent and it gave that character a real superhero moment which was lacking in the first movie. But overall, excellent film.

FYI some discussion about the movie starts around here in the DCEU thread.

Last edited:
It's weird seeing all that extra footage from a film that was released 3 years ago. Not a bad watch though, it certainly had more to it than the Whedon version, although I thought there were a few things that could have been kept, such as one or two jokes here and there.

Flash is a lot more bearable in this version, Cyborg and Aquaman are probably still the weak points.

I really liked all the Darkseid stuff, and the grim apocalyptic vision of the future. The anti-life equation definitely works in this movie as a teaser.

Genuinely curious as to why you believe Cyborg was amongst the weak points? I thought by and large the film was told from his perspective, and really enjoyed seeing his full arc done justice.

That scene you refer to was a reshot scene by Whedon. Part of the WB mandate to include more humour. That (and any other footage shot by Whedon) has been excluded, as Snyder wanted to only include footage that was 100% written and directed etc by him.

I think the only moment that jarred as an edit (and there was only one) was where Batman wakes from his first dream of the future. In the Whedon version, they showed the dream where Superman had turned villain and Barry warns Batman it's all about Lois. In the Synder cut they leave the dream out but just have Batman wake up suddenly and tell Dianna about the dream. That seemed a strange moment without showing that dream context. The one thing I really liked about this version is for the first time ever I really felt afraid of Superman. What he could be if he turned evil. Superman became an alien to me, that's terrific directing.

I think the only moment that jarred as an edit (and there was only one) was where Batman wakes from his first dream of the future. In the Whedon version, they showed the dream where Superman had turned villain and Barry warns Batman it's all about Lois. In the Synder cut they leave the dream out but just have Batman wake up suddenly and tell Dianna about the dream. That seemed a strange moment without showing that dream context. The one thing I really liked about this version is for the first time ever I really felt afraid of Superman. What he could be if he turned evil. Superman became an alien to me, that's terrific directing.

I believe you are (understandably) confusing the dream/visions scenes. Can easily happen, there’s a lot to unpack in these films.

That sequence of future Flash appearing in front of Bruce was in fact from BvS in 2016. Not the Whedon Justice League. Happened in the Batcave as he was downloading the information he acquired from Luthor’s servers.

Amazingly, it was never referred to again on film until the Snyder cut 5 years later.

Slo mo needs to go
I noticed a slo-mo moment that was very reminiscent of the types they used in The Avengers movies where all the superheroes are in the shot going into battle. That made me laugh. It was like, "See! We can do it too."

Just wrote in the DCEU thread.

It’s good, but obviously we’re comparing it to the theatrical cut. I think if we just judge it stand alone it’s not GREAT.

It’s far too long and has some pacing issues, using Cyborg as the main protagonist, I get it, but it doesn’t work that well for me (he’s just not terribly compelling). Darkseid snd the whole mother box set up works a million times better but ultimately it’s still pretty messy CGI stuff that’s just not as good as Thanos has been.

A lot of the elements are also clearly for the extended universe that we will never get now which is also frustrating.

glenferry23

If we ever get a continuation of the story;

Wife came up with a theory which isn't totally silly. Bruce's visions appear to be more than premonitions, any chance Doctor Fate would be behind them?

glenferry23

If we ever get a continuation of the story;

Wife came up with a theory which isn't totally silly. Bruce's visions appear to be more than premonitions, any chance Doctor Fate would be behind them?

I think she’s on the money mate, nice theory. It is a bit strange he’s able to have such clear visions/dreams right? I thought something similar way back in BvS, how was he able to have such a specific premonition with the Knightmare sequence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The multiverse was mentioned in the film so is it possible the last bit was in a different universe? The Joker even mentions it. Then there's Cyborg's vision when he activated the nursery chamber on the Krypton ship we see Superman carrying Batman's mask/cowl as he's flying along. Couldn't tell if it was Batman's head in it as it went by too quickly but my impression was it was empty. I think they leave it with some confusion. I hope we see a sequel with Darkseid's invasion. It would be a shame to leave it all here.

The multiverse was mentioned in the film so is it possible the last bit was in a different universe? The Joker even mentions it. Then there's Cyborg's vision when he activated the nursery chamber on the Krypton ship we see Superman carrying Batman's mask/cowl as he's flying along. Couldn't tell if it was Batman's head in it as it went by too quickly but my impression was it was empty. I think they leave it with some confusion. I hope we see a sequel with Darkseid's invasion. It would be a shame to leave it all here.
It absolutely could, Flash being able to time travel (effectively) has opened that up. I strongly suspect that given we saw the Unity kill everyone and Flash then turned that around, we saw a glimpse into a future world where Darkseid showed up and won. Lois dies and Superman loses his mind and becomes an agent of Darkseids. This ragtag group is trying to reverse the outcome.

We should probably just make this a spoiler thread.

It absolutely could, Flash being able to time travel (effectively) has opened that up. I strongly suspect that given we saw the Unity kill everyone and Flash then turned that around, we saw a glimpse into a future world where Darkseid showed up and won. Lois dies and Superman loses his mind and becomes an agent of Darkseids. This ragtag group is trying to reverse the outcome.

We should probably just make this a spoiler thread.
You can merge it with the other thread if you want. I didn't realize it was there cos it was started by someone I have blocked.

We did see a hint of the Flashes time travel ability when they brought superman back. The mother box hit the water then started to go up again in reverse time just before Barry touched it and pushed it back down and started it up.

You can merge it with the other thread if you want. I didn't realize it was there cos it was started by someone I have blocked.

We did see a hint of the Flashes time travel ability when they brought superman back. The mother box hit the water then started to go up again in reverse time just before Barry touched it and pushed it back down and started it up.
Yeh 100% right

Yes it’s meant to be Batman’s head. In that Knightmare vision from BvS, Superman captures and kills Bruce Wayne in the future. I’m guessing this image was in the aftermath of that.

They got Affleck back after he had been on a 3 month bender, pre-rehab lol. He looks like sh*t in a couple of scenes.

Yes it does stand out which scenes of Affleck were filmed in 2016 versus the pick up shoots late last year. I do feel for him in that respect, he’s spoken openly about what the dieting/training did to him during that time (it caused him to relapse into alcoholism).

That’s one of the reasons I recall he exited from the standalone Batman film that he was slated to write and direct (which was due in 2018/19).

That’s one of the reasons I recall he exited from the standalone Batman film that he was slated to write and direct (which was due in 2018/19).

its a real shame because his take on batman would have been incredible.

nonetheless i am excited about the R.Pat version, he is also a good actor.

Batman isn't a hard character to play tbh, only Clooney made a hash of it and that bloke can't act.

Re Batman looking fat, it was pretty noticeable in the cinema edit that he looked chiselled in some scenes and bloated in others. I reckon Affleck went on an epic bender between principal photography and the reshoots.

Haven’t seen this version but if the new scenes were shot five years later, Affleck has a propensity to pork up. Basically they had a great window at the start and straight after BVS to get it right!

They fixed the Whedon disaster as much as they could, but the thing that still held it back was that they had to fit in 4(?) origin stories into the 4 hours (Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, & Step & Friends) in addition to keeping the the main plot going.

The motives of the pommy villians were also still unclear, what was 1 blast going to do to take civilisation back to the dark ages??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back