Justin Bollenhagen (Pick 52 ND 2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Won Perth's leading goal kicker. Yeah, it was the bottom side, but he's 18 years old, so that's a fair effort.

Huh??

Where'd this come from?

Mainly from the obsessive amounts of reading I do about anything Freo.
At the time of the draft there were people on the D&T board who claimed to have played with or knew him who said he's a bit of an arrogant type.
I read the WAFL reports religiously and I've notice Lloyd seems to do a bit of gentle prodding of players in terms of what they are hoping to see in terms of players improving. Fair bit of what he said about Bolly was along the lines of Justing tends to drop his head if he can't get hold of the ball. We are trying to teach him ways to get himself involved if it's not bouncing his way. That sort of thing.
I could be interpreting it all wrong and it's just my opinion gleaned from reading as I said. Figure there must be something not quite right with him if he dropped so far in a shallow draft.
Having said all that I watched a fair bit of him at Perth this year and he's dynamite with the ball (as he showed at AFL level too). Just doesn't get it enough. But he's young and certainly has the talent to be a topline player.

I think the "shallow draft" is inaccurate. We picked up rookies who are going to have substantial AFL careers, and they are the very last players picked, and that indicates that the draft is deep. Yes the rookies included mature players, but that is simply the nature of how the draft works these days. Regardless, the likelihood that pick 52 is going to be a good player is slim, and Bollenhagen looks as likely as any pick around there to get past 50 games.

I think the "shallow draft" is inaccurate. We picked up rookies who are going to have substantial AFL careers, and they are the very last players picked, and that indicates that the draft is deep. Yes the rookies included mature players, but that is simply the nature of how the draft works these days.

I was referring to the Under-18 depth, but sure. Also, I wouldn't say the draft was neccesarily "deep" with mature age players. Moles, Strijk, Podsiadly, Hams & Howlett seem to be the only other decent mature-age prospects at this stage. I'd personally rate Silvagni and Barlow above them all, which more shows how clever our drafting is.

Looks good. Really could add to our depth in a few years time with him and Fyfe swapping between midfield and a flank, Fyfe the majority midfield time though.

Mainly from the obsessive amounts of reading I do about anything Freo.
At the time of the draft there were people on the D&T board who claimed to have played with or knew him who said he's a bit of an arrogant type.
I read the WAFL reports religiously and I've notice Lloyd seems to do a bit of gentle prodding of players in terms of what they are hoping to see in terms of players improving. Fair bit of what he said about Bolly was along the lines of Justing tends to drop his head if he can't get hold of the ball. We are trying to teach him ways to get himself involved if it's not bouncing his way. That sort of thing.
I could be interpreting it all wrong and it's just my opinion gleaned from reading as I said. Figure there must be something not quite right with him if he dropped so far in a shallow draft.
Having said all that I watched a fair bit of him at Perth this year and he's dynamite with the ball (as he showed at AFL level too). Just doesn't get it enough. But he's young and certainly has the talent to be a topline player.

I read the Wisbey report aswell, and the main flaw was that while he could be awesome when he had the ball, there was a big problem with him consistantly finding it, he tends to go AWOL.

That could be a big bad attitutde problem, or it could be that he's not had to focus on the thinking side of finding the pill, as he apparantly has all the bells and whistles.I didn't read it so much as an attitude problem, but more about learning to concentrate on the game, and doing the things that keep you in the game to the point where the ball comes to you.

Some kids start off with the ability to find the ball, but do nothing with it, and vice versa. We have to remember these kids aren't at the stage where they have developed the strategic undertanding that comes with playing years of football. Most Junior footy is glorified kick to kick.

Hill's strength isn't his ball winning either, so I don't see it any different with Bolly.

Bump.
After returning to S.Aust to play with the South Adelaide Panthers in the SANFL he has now retired. Bit surprised.
He was dropped to the reserves for a week but kicked 5 goals and got a recall right away. Bumped ex WCE Tim Houlihan off a wing position but obviously lost the love and has pulled the pin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back