Rumour Justin Leppitsch and The Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Wounded Lion

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I understand if this is met with criticism for being posted but here goes.

I have heard a few unsettling rumors from past officials and players at the club, saying that the majority of players are disengaged from Leppa and dislike him as a coach.

I am happy to share the source of the past player if asked, for it happened quite recently and it came from a past player we would all respect immensely. The past official is associated with my local football club so I have spoken to him on a few occasions, he had a significant role at the club.

I dare say the players with the biggest qualms have been moved on or retired in recency, for they probably could not handle the change/overhaul that Leppa has spearheaded since his installment as Senior Coach.

Happy to open this up to discussion because as supporters, we need to have complete confidence in the alignment from Coach to Player to have any belief we can climb the ladder in the next year.

You'll find this is common knowledge at the club and yet Leppa hasn't been moved on. There are strong relationships (Rocky, Martin, Robbo's) and there are poor relationships (Green, Lester, Zorko). The outcome of a total football department review that concluded in September was that Leppa presented that he understood the issue, what he would do to would address the issues and how closely he was happy to be monitored in terms of this being measured. The powers were happy to let it play out from here and fulfill Leppa's contract.

Unfortunately probably a relatively fair assessment Wounded Lion. I think though that the issues have been identified and acknowledged by Leppa and the idea is that he'll put a lot of work into improving his communication style. Having the Lamberts back in the picture will certainly help things. So it is worrying but maybe less so now that we've clearly identified a plan for improvement moving forward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info but I don't personally think there is a need to reveal the identity of the former player and official. Can only serve to stir things up and as has been said, hopefully everything has moved on from there.

i wonder how many coaches of struggling teams have been universally loved and admired by their players in the past?? Or even teams that are successful.

The OP first mentioned players and officials (plural) but then appeared to water it down to one of each.

Would it be a stunning indictment of the coach if there was one past player and one official who weren't totally happy with the coach??????????

Not dismissing it out of hand but claims of widespread player unrest don't gel with the facts for me.

We "lost" Aish (predicted), Luey (known) and Redden (surprise)

The only one of those where there were strong suggestions of issues with Leppa, was Redden.

Final year on his contract, not all that surprising the bigger heads are letting him see it out and that Leppa himself knows he needs to make changes or he won't be offered another contract.

Unless we improve as a whole this season (On & off the field), I'm doubtful that Leppa will be coaching us in 2017.

Hopefully we improve next season and that's all we can ask of Leppa. Wasn't his fault that he inherited a rabble of a club when we had the go home 5 leaving and a board dispute going on. We haven't been successful the past couple of seasons and he clearly is trying to create that environment since he has been there and done that.

He's still very young in terms of being a coach compared to guys who have been recently appointed as coaches like Beveridge, Hinkley, Bolton, Pyke, Eade, Cameron, Richerson, and Simpson. I'm sure he's learning things along the way, but not to the same extent as Vossy had to do. It's really a shame we don't have the same coaching budget compared to a Hawthorn, which would be great support for Leppa.

Last edited:
I think an over-correction is certainly a reason why there is some angst. From the outside looking in, Leppa seemed to take a softly, softly approach to player management in 2014. For whatever reason (pressure, increased expectation etc), he went away from that nurturing type attitude. Perhaps that was a shock to some players. Perhaps it should have been done more incrementally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think an over-correction is certainly a reason why there is some angst. From the outside looking in, Leppa seemed to take a softly, softly approach to player management in 2014. For whatever reason (pressure, increased expectation etc), he went away from that nurturing type attitude. Perhaps that was a shock to some players. Perhaps it should have been done more incrementally.
The team performance would of added to this, first year showed some hope with no real expectation, this year I think most thought we would go better than we did. Yes lots of injuries but the pressure would be going up on Leppa.

Hopefully we improve next season and that's all we can ask of Leppa. Wasn't his fault that he inherited a rabble of a club when we had the go home 5 leaving and a board dispute going on. We haven't been successful the past couple of seasons and he clearly is trying to create that environment since he has been there and done that.

He's still very young in terms of being a coach compared to guys who have been recently appointed as coaches like Beveridge, Hinkley, Bolton, Pyke, Eade, Cameron, Richerson, and Simpson. I'm sure he's learning things along the way, but not to the same extent as Vossy had to do. It's really a shame we don't have the same coaching budget compared to a Hawthorn, which would be great support for Leppa.

He knew exactly what the position of the club was when he applied and accepted the role of the footy club. In fact, he said he was going to make a point of bringing everyone together again.

The problem is that when the game plan stinks, players aren't playing well and their value is diminishing (redden) and are at risk of being delisted (golby), they aren't just going to lie down and take it.

I really wanted leppa to success as a senior coach, however I just can't see it working from 2017. The onfield performances have gone backwards to the point where we are non competitive for 10 mins of a game and lost by 10 goals. Our skill errors are terrible because no one seems to have confidence in what they are doing or has the guts to take the game on until it's all but over.

I was talking about what I perceived to be a 'clear' disengagement between players and coach from about round 4 this year. You rarely if ever here of players talking about Leppa in a positive light, and the effort during games and visible lack of morale and passion just said to me things clearly wern't right. If you compare the players relations between Hinkly, Beverage, and Richardson it is clear to see there is a 'stink' about he club. It has had to this point - Mark Neeld part 2 written all over it.

Frankly, 'correcting' and 'reviewing and fixing' this issue should be totally UNACCEPTABLE - never has a coach come into a system with more of a need for absolute and total focus on player relations, the fact this was let (allegedly) spiral out of control is so disappointing, it just sucks on every level.

Having said that, I am fully behind his opportunity to re-gain the support of the playing group - I desperately hope he learns from the review and is a success, I really like him and wan't him to well. Unfortunately, the odds are stacked against him, because once the rot set in in these situations it is almost impossible to correct. I just hope the players display effort and passion from the get go, I think we will know by round 4 whether he will see out the year.

I understand there are some who want to blame the players and support leppa whole heartedly, i respect that position, I don't feel my position of utter disappointment in relation to this conversation is unfair or out of line, we should have come to expect this not to happen.

There's a time to cuddle and there's a time for a whack. You cuddle too much and the players think that whatever they do is acceptable, you whack too much and they think that whatever they do is unacceptable. He seems like an extremely passionate bloke who wants the best for the club, give him some time and he will get the balance right. We had a s**t year with injuries, every one would have been frustrated so it's easy to lay blame and find faults in everything. A good year with injuries and we will climb back up the ladder fairly quickly.

There's a time to cuddle and there's a time for a whack. You cuddle too much and the players think that whatever they do is acceptable, you whack too much and they think that whatever they do is unacceptable. He seems like an extremely passionate bloke who wants the best for the club, give him some time and he will get the balance right. We had a s**t year with injuries, every one would have been frustrated so it's easy to lay blame and find faults in everything. A good year with injuries and we will climb back up the ladder fairly quickly.

o_O

It does seem like Leppa has made some mistakes but it is also equally clear that the management team have backed him in. If you look at it, Swann, Matthews, Leppa and Rocky all seem to be on the same page (whether it is the right or wrong page will be seen in the fullness of time).

We have been a s**t AFL side for basically 10 years...so change is clearly needed which may ruffle some feathers.

It does seem like Leppa has made some mistakes but it is also equally clear that the management team have backed him in. If you look at it, Swann, Matthews, Leppa and Rocky all seem to be on the same page (whether it is the right or wrong page will be seen in the fullness of time).

We have been a s**t AFL side for basically 10 years...so change is clearly needed which may ruffle some feathers.

The only change that this club needs is a coaching change.

Leppa has been a massive disappointment, and it's clearly apparent that he has no idea what he is actually doing. Maybe once we oust him, we can find a way to keep him in the stats department. Because it seems like the only thing he does these days is looking at the stats.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back