Rumour Justin Leppitsch and The Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of "utensil holding", we're still waiting...
Think I found it Mr R - Tairy Greene finishes of the preacher with some real firm handedness... or is it the lost footage of ZOB and Leppa behind the sheds?

I'm not sure if you know who Zac O'brien is. Don't think you can say boost your fitness and earn your spot. Every time he put the jumper on; he played his heart out and left absolutely nothing on the field. Just fell a bit short, that's it. Don't go ranting that a bloke who gave his all is a plodder, completely disrespectful.

Did I even mention ZOB specifically? He tries hard and just isn't up to it full time. I don't even think there is genuine issue between him and Leppa.

I'm talking about the others as underperformers.

I personally am 100% behind Leppa this year, upon.. even more reflection.. I really want him to do well. He needs results IMO, but I am backing him to turn this around.

He has made his mistakes and done lots of good, but he appears prepared to listen, so fingers crossed the last 12 months will be a huge learning tool and he coaches us to a finals appearance in the next 2-3 years.

How many times do you need to have it pointed out that it was INJURIES more than anything else that cruelled our season and a few before that too.

Absolutely nothing Leppa or any other experienced coach could have done about the situation....

He can only turn a season around when we can play every week WITHOUT serious long term injuries to majority of our players.

How do you think the Hawks would've gone this year with the injuries we've had? Do you think if they had those same injuries they would've achieved their 3peat?

I think not..

Leppa can only be judged when he has an injury free team playing each week.

Last edited:
1. Actually i do like the coach, however under performing coaches are not deserving off praise. So until Leppa actually get's this club performing at a decent level, then it's only natural to want him out.
2. We were royally bent over on the aish trade (i'm also not the only one who thinks this)
3. We were weak on back flipping and one of the reasons why this club is in such a mess is due to our inability to actually stick to our words.

Also, have you ever heard of this magical word called an opinion? I suggest you look it up, because there is a fine difference between trolling and voicing your opinion and i'm doing the latter. Also, pretty low of you to bait me with that troll remark.

My above post applies to you as well.

Get off Leppa's back, change your avatar, or pee off back to the Pies board.

How many times do you need to have it pointed out that it was INJURIES more than anything else that cruelled our season and a few before that too.

Absolutely nothing Leppa or any other experienced coached could have done about the situation....

He can only turn a season around when we can play every week WITHOUT serious long term injuries to majority of our players.

How do you think the Hawks would've gone this year with the injuries we've had? Do you think if they had those same injuries they would've achieved their 3peat?

I think not..

100% agree.

281 games lost to injury. As often quoted by Swann.

22 players * 23 games = 506

that is more than half games played for the year.

average for AFL is 90 games per year.

The flow-on effect of this is incalculable. Players being asked to play out of position, some positions with no available players (Tall forwards).

Let's chill, reset and give Leppa a go for next year and HOPE that we have a well-overdue Hawthorn-like run with injuries in 2016 (they have been as charmed as we have been cursed)

100% agree.

The flow-on effect of this is incalculable. Players being asked to play out of position, some positions with no available players (Tall forwards).

Let's chill, reset and give Leppa a go for next year and HOPE that we have a well-overdue Hawthorn-like run with injuries in 2016 (they have been as charmed as we have been cursed)

Yeah but other clubs have to deal with injuries........

...........................;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also love the club, it has given me many great memories. At the moment our club sucks! Hopefully this time next year it won't suck!

What do I like about the club?

The fact that for the first time in countless years its got a direction.
It's got a board, a CEO, a director of coaching and a coach that's unified.
It's got a plan to regain relevance and financial stability.
It's been active - aggressive even - in its list management .
That our playing list on paper is probably more balanced with more potential for the start of 2016 than it's been in 10 years.
That the efforts to inform and engage its members over the last 2 years have been dramatically better than the 10 before it.
It's my bloody club - for better or worse.

Are things perfect? No.
Is the direction right? Maybe. Only time will tell. But its time they deserve.
Has Leppa made mistakes - undoubtedly.

But what 2 year manager/coach hasn't? Juggling 40+ personalities on any worksite - office, construction or playing field is VERY VERY difficult and easy to underestimate. If he's acknowledged he needs to be better that's as good a step I can ask of anyone. The accusation he favours newbies and his own recruits is understandable and logical - they are his vision, his team. If that get noses out of joint so be it. To assume it happens at the Lions alone is naive.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater because we on the outside don't think things happen quick enough is a recipe for instability and unpredictable results for as long as we continue to do it.

We changed 2 years ago for little immediate benefit. To keep creating the environment where we do it again is madness.

Could you summarise?

Not knocking you but it's a bit like a plate heaped full of food. I just don't wanna eat it. Could people just get to the point?

Please ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What do I like about the club?

The fact that for the first time in countless years its got a direction.
It's got a board, a CEO, a director of coaching and a coach that's unified.
It's got a plan to regain relevance and financial stability.
It's been active - aggressive even - in its list management .
That our playing list on paper is probably more balanced with more potential for the start of 2016 than it's been in 10 years.
That the efforts to inform and engage its members over the last 2 years have been dramatically better than the 10 before it.
It's my bloody club - for better or worse.

Are things perfect? No.
Is the direction right? Maybe. Only time will tell. But its time they deserve.
Has Leppa made mistakes - undoubtedly.

But what 2 year manager/coach hasn't? Juggling 40+ personalities on any worksite - office, construction or playing field is VERY VERY difficult and easy to underestimate. If he's acknowledged he needs to be better that's as good a step I can ask of anyone. The accusation he favours newbies and his own recruits is understandable and logical - they are his vision, his team. If that get noses out of joint so be it. To assume it happens at the Lions alone is naive.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater because we on the outside don't think things happen quick enough is a recipe for instability and unpredictable results for as long as we continue to do it.

We changed 2 years ago for little immediate benefit. To keep creating the environment where we do it again is madness.

Nice Summary, I completely agree with you. It's like a plate heaped full of food & I like all of it. Nom nom nom.

Absolutely nothing Leppa or any other experienced coach could have done about the situation....

I think not..

Love your passion MacMum .

My post was largely supportive of leppa and the 'made mistakes and willing to listen' comment was largely in relation to player relations and the review he requested - as that's what the thread is about - most seem to agree it hasn't been perfect this year.

I have made mention of injuries several times lately and even a few days ago was talking about "let's see how we do when we are not so struck down by injuries" on another thread - blind Freddie knows we had 4 times the injuries of the league average and I sat through several 60 point beltings knowing full well injury was the main impact on our performance.

I have been critical of the player disharmony allegations, no doubt - however... Leppas coaching CANT be judged on this year because of injury, I totally agree - I have stated on this very thread how excited I am to see him turn it around next year.

100% agree.

It was strange that I copped a spray from the MM when I did, as this last paragraph.. Bar making specific mention of injuries (which goes with out saying) Is exactly what that I was trying to advocate. Lol

He is very opionianted. It's his way or the highway, don't think many can argue against that. Is that the right approach with your players and staff in this day and age? Afterall, this is not the Leigh Matthews Era, nor (with all due respect to Lippa) he has earned the credentials and the respect Leigh Matthews had/has in the football world.

He is very opionianted. It's his way or the highway, don't think many can argue against that. Is that the right approach with your players and staff in this day and age? Afterall, this is not the Leigh Matthews Era, nor (with all due respect to Lippa) he has earned the credentials and the respect Leigh Matthews had/has in the football world.
I think there is some agreement that the old fire and brimstone Matthews/Voss/Leppitsch style needs tempering but i also think there is a strong belief that Vossy and Leppa were not supported as well should have been. As some have pointed out, it is inevitable that in a list of 44 players, support staff, assistant coaches etc. that some people are not going to get along, thta includes between senior coach and players. What needs to happen is that adequete support exists for players to go to someone else to speak through their frustrations etc.. That capability is a combination of resourcing and talent, and we were certainly lacking in the former and based purely on hearsay prior to the Lamberts' reinstatement possibly the latter as well. This is why the appointment of the Lamberts' is so important. The fact that they both love this club so much can only speak volumes to the young lads in their care.
Managing people is hard, as i have discovered recently, and too often people don't want to report through official channels for a variety of reasons, until it all blows up. The ZOB situation, on both sides, was a symptom of a coach and a player base struggling with change. If we learn from it we will only be stronger.

I would certainly give Leppitsch 2016 to prove himself as this year was cruelled by injury, but if significant strides forward aren't made with regards to our win/loss ration, player development and the game plan then it is time to start looking for a replacement.
The Crows were ruthless on the back of a couple of poor, injury plagued seasons getting rid of Sanderson who had almost taken them to Grand Final in 2012- albeit with their list at a different age profile to ours. The Bulldogs won 7 games in 2014 yet terminated a very senior, experienced and respected career coach off the back of player disharmony and average on-field results. McCartney has a better coaching pedigree than Leppitsch, and probably had some pretty bad luck with injuries and a young list too. Neeld and Watters gone after 2 seasons. The list goes on.

My point is that whilst we should certainly support Leppitsch whilst he's in the role, the senior coaching position is, or should be, under some pretty intense scrutiny next season. Whether he likes it or not it is a results driven industry and he needs results. If we were a Victorian based club we would be under the blow torch right now. 1 finals appearance in the last 11 seasons isn't acceptable. Whilst there isn't an absolute stand out assistant waiting in the wings at another club, this is pretty much the case anytime a coach gets sacked. How many thought Luke Beveridge commanded a senior role? I've always had concerns that Leppitsch's appointment was a knee jerk reaction made by an incompetent board after the sacking of a Lions legend. They couldn't get Roos as they intended, so put in an ex Lions legend with loosely the right credentials to lessen our anger. Who were the other candidates interviewed? What made Leppitsch stand out from the pack? Was it his people management skills? Was it his tactical understanding of the game? Most of the old boards decisions smacked of ineptitude, lets hope Leppitsch's appointment was a rare moment of clear thinking.

In 2013 Voss had us playing some pretty good football with 10 wins. 2014 and 2015 we have a cumulative 11. We haven't progressed from there and whilst the GH5 plays a part in that, there is an argument that some players showing great signs haven't come on. I agree we don't want a revolving senior coach policy, but 2016 is Leppitsch's chance to prove he deserves to be there. I have a feeling that this time next year we will be ushering in a new coach, but I would love to be proved wrong because it would surely mean we have enjoyed some solid on-field success.

At the end of the day some wins will cure a lot of ills. Looking at our draw dont know how many wins we will see, I estimate 8. Will that keep Leppa, well for mine it will be, are we competitive? A lot of this year we have not been competitive, yes we had a ton of injuries and key injuries, but you would hope that even though outgunned we would show some fight.

In any footy club if you think you should be in the ones and you are in the twos, the coach is a prick. Even though there may be a selection panel, still the coach making the call. So nobody in any football club in a coaching/captain role is universally loved. It is probably pretty rare to find a player universally loved. Differences of opinion are going to happen and be more prevalent when the club is not going well.

It seems in Australia you can get away with a hell of a lot of things as a sportsperson, except for losing.

When discussing injuries, keep in mind as well as missed games, our players have missed training time. Meaning less improvement on critical skills & need to spend more time gradually building fitness as well.
Loss of games is one thing, but slowed development is even more important considering our list profile.

When discussing injuries, keep in mind as well as missed games, our players have missed training time. Meaning less improvement on critical skills & need to spend more time gradually building fitness as well.
Loss of games is one thing, but slowed development is even more important considering our list profile.

Yep definitely agree. Mayes is the obvious one though for me. Hasn't had any injuries that are too serious yet his best year was his first one when he came off a very short run in the pre season. He has been played all over the place under Leppitsch, for his development no doubt, but when the change of position experiment seems to be having an impact on performance (and confidence?) it needs to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back