Past Justin Leppitsch - Coach (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Leppitsch calls on Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast fans to keep faith ahead of QClash

BRISBANE coach Justin Leppitsch concedes Saturday’s Q Clash 9 against Gold Coast is a tough sell for the code in Queensland but has called on football fans to stay loyal.

The Lions and Suns are both winless with woeful 0-4 records to occupy the last two spots on the ladder.

Wet weather is expected to engulf Metricon Stadium for the derby to only reduce the match as a spectacle even further.

Leppitsch on Lion midfield

THE BRISBANE Lions' tackling numbers are well down this season, but their coach says it's not from a lack of effort.

In fact, Justin Leppitsch says the major problem is coming from the Lions' inability to convert a first possession into a clearance.

Put simply, they get their hands on the ball first, fumble it, and then watch the opposition clear the ball and get out of congestion.

Leppa: "You just think … play your role."

A FURIOUS Justin Leppitsch has taken aim at his Brisbane Lions team after Saturday night's thumping loss to Gold Coast, questioning their desire, work-rate and willingness to accept a role.

Leppitsch was ropeable after the 64-point loss, barely able to contain his annoyance at a fifth-straight defeat.

He said there was very few positives and was particularly critical of the lack of pressure and the Lions’ inability to keep the ball inside forward 50.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really feel for Leppa...we do not have any talls up forward like Lynch and Dixon (who kicked 9 goals between them) and this is causing our mids to second guess where to kick it and sadly our mozzie squad are not working hard enough to keep the ball inside our F50.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really feel for Leppa...we do not have any talls up forward like Lynch and Dixon (who kicked 9 goals between them) and this is causing our mids to second guess where to kick it and sadly our mozzie squad are not working hard enough to keep the ball inside our F50.
Well they are kicking to Green a lot of the time when he is 1 on 1. They should really be kicking to Andrews or McStay then Green can mop up if they don't takke the mark.

Leigh Matthews backs Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch and the administration, blaming their winless start on generations of draft disasters

LEIGH Matthews has declared his total confidence in coach Justin Leppitsch and the Lions administration saying the club’s on-field woes are the result of a generation of draft disasters.

Mathews said the Lions had become uncompetitive and becoming competitive was the immediate focus for the coaches and players.

But the long-term solution was to get their drafting and player retention right.

He has presented a document to the board outlining how few players drafted into the club are still on the list.

Lions coach Justin Leppitsch in physical clash with rookie Zac O'Brien

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has been involved in a physical clash with a young player at a seconds game at the weekend.

Leppitsch grabbed Lions rookie Zac O'Brien in the coaches' room at half time of the NEAFL match after the young player had disrespected the seconds coach Shane Woewodin.

It is alleged Leppitsch grabbed the rookie by the throat and pinned him against the wall as he yelled at the 24-year-old midfielder, telling O'Brien his behaviour was not acceptable. The incident was heard by the rest of the team.

Leppitsch & O'Brien apologetic over incident

“What’s happened is a couple of really passionate people have crossed the line and I’ve apologised to Zac,” said Leppitsch.

“I’ve yelled at him a little bit and grabbed his shirt, and that was inappropriate. It’s not something that I’m proud of.

“It was two passionate people in the heat of the moment. We’ve nipped it in the bud and everything is OK now.

“The one disappointing fact for Zac and I, is that we spoke on Sunday and Monday and it was all good, and for it to be raised again is disappointing.’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin Leppitsch having to apologise to a Brisbane Lions player is a joke, Mark Robinson says

JUSTIN Leppitsch, the coach, grabbed the jumper of Zac O’Brien, the player, and you’d think it was an international incident.

The world is marching to the beat of political correctness. Inside football club rooms is not normal society and in some cases the laws of society are not applied to football club rooms.

Leppitsch did not assault O’Brien at the workplace, as some would like to believe.

Justin Leppitsch clashes with Brisbane Lions rookie Zac O’Brien at half-time of NEAFL game

JUSTIN Leppitsch has escaped sanction for manhandling rookie Zac O’Brien but has been warned by Lions management to contain his temper and not let a similar incident happen again.

Leppitsch strongly denies he grabbed O’Brien by the throat and insists he only grabbed his jumper to drag him down from a step because the player was standing over him.

O’Brien confirmed Leppitsch’s version of events.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said through a spokesman that he could only take Leppitsch and O’Brien at their word and there would be no league intervention.

The Courier-Mail spoke to both Leppitsch and CEO Greg Swann and both said there was total harmony within the side.

However, the leaking of the details of an incident like that late at night in a changeroom of an empty stadium could only have come from within the Lions camp.
Just the updated parts of the story (Warning - This was written by Hammo).

Leppitsch learns lesson from difficult week

"I've seen this cycle that many times. I've been at this club in '98 when we finished on the bottom and rose three years later," he said.

"It does turn quickly. These times happen in footy clubs. We know it turns and we're all confident.

"Everyone at the top (Lions hierarchy) has been around a long period of time and understands that as well. We're not hitting the panic button."

"We're a very young group. It's a matter of us being patient," he said.

"I might have said this last year, it's a patient job for an impatient man and I think that's what happened last week.

"I'm impatient, I want things to happen tomorrow like our fans, like our players.

"It is frustrating … we all want to win and that's it. We sat here last year 0-5 as well, but year two it's different.

"We're less experienced than last year but we're expecting a little more of our group. We've got a young developing group that need a loft of care and support."

We'll ride the waves

"We're going to ride the waves. We've had a good day today. We're going to have other days that aren't so good, we know that," Leppitsch said.

"With young groups sometimes it can fluctuate and without even knowing.

"We just have to keep our boys improving and teaching them and showing them and hopefully we get better and better with every week, month and year.

"The boys have built that little bit of confidence, not just in themselves, but within the group and that's what we've been able to do today - tick that box."

We're a tight group

"The way you watched us play the first month, that wasn't evident, and I think they (players) realised that and they wanted to show the footy world we cared about each other," Leppitsch said.

"I've never doubted the care, it's just whether we supplied it on game day, which we have the last couple of weeks."

"We've got a bit of confidence in the execution now," he said.

"That's what last week did and this week reinforces it again.

"I'm not worried about looking back to be perfectly honest, I'm more worried about looking forward now."

Justin Leppitsch says Mick Malthouse’s demises drives home cutthroat reality for AFL coaches

BRISBANE coach Justin Leppitsch says the demise of Mick Malthouse at Carlton drives home the cutthroat reality of the industry to all senior coaches in the AFL.

Malthouse’s record-breaking coaching career came to an abrupt end on Tuesday when Carlton sacked the triple premiership winner after weeks of mounting tension between him, the club’s administration and the board.

Leppitsch said every time a senior coach is sacked mid-season, the shock waves are felt across the country.

Back