Justin Longmuir - Coach under the most pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

donaldknuth

Debutant
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I mean, sure, it's easy to say he's only just taken over an already struggling team, but people seem to forget that Fremantle has been rebuilding for a good 3-4 years now. People have been giving Nicks flack for Adelaide's performances, but he's inherited an old team that only just started rebuilding after spending two years trying to recapture their 2017 form.

Longmuir has inherited a wide array of highly touted youth like Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, Darcy Tucker, Griffin Logue, among some quality experience like Fyfe, Walters, Hogan, yet Fremantle look like a bonafide bottom 2 side.

To further highlight the benefits of inheriting a rebuilding side, let's rewind back to the end of 2014 with my team, the Bulldogs. Three years of Brendan McCartney, plenty of quality young talent, but seem to be going nowhere. Cooney, Higgins and Griffen leave, McCartney gets sacked, and all of the media is now tipping us for the spoon. Enter Luke Beveridge: we proceed to make the finals in 2015, then win the flag in 2016.

Taking that into account, shouldn't we be expecting more from Longmuir at the Dockers, considering how much talent he has available? Sure, maybe it's unreasonable to expect them to replicate the Bulldogs, but so far it looks like they've gone even further backwards than they were under Lyon.

What's going on? Am I underestimating how difficult it is to de-Lyon a team? Or is Longmuir getting something badly wrong?

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I mean, sure, it's easy to say he's only just taken over an already struggling team, but people seem to forget that Fremantle has been rebuilding for a good 3-4 years now. People have been giving Nicks flack for Adelaide's performances, but he's inherited an old team that only just started rebuilding after spending two years trying to recapture their 2017 form.

Longmuir has inherited a wide array of highly touted youth like Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, Darcy Tucker, Griffin Logue, among some quality experience like Fyfe, Walters, Hogan, yet Fremantle look like a bonafide bottom 2 side.

To further highlight the benefits of inheriting a rebuilding side, let's rewind back to the end of 2014 with my team, the Bulldogs. Three years of Brendan McCartney, plenty of quality young talent, but seem to be going nowhere. Cooney, Higgins and Griffen leave, McCartney gets sacked, and all of the media is now tipping us for the spoon. Enter Luke Beveridge: we proceed to make the finals in 2015, then win the flag in 2016.

Taking that into account, shouldn't we be expecting more from Longmuir at the Dockers, considering how much talent he has available? Sure, maybe it's unreasonable to expect them to replicate the Bulldogs, but so far it looks like they've gone even further backwards than they were under Lyon.

What's going on? Am I underestimating how difficult it is to de-Lyon a team? Or is Longmuir getting something badly wrong?
Maybe you should change your name to Donald Trump
What a brainless thread topic 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

donaldknuth

Debutant
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bad take even before the result today. He is a very long term watch.
Elaborate. Why should he escape scrutiny but not Nicks, who people are suggesting could be sacked this year?

Fremantle has been rebuilding for over three years already, why shouldn't we be expecting results from them now?

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Elaborate. Why should he escape scrutiny but not Nicks, who people are suggesting could be sacked this year?

Fremantle has been rebuilding for over three years already, why shouldn't we be expecting results from them now?

Awful take. How many 1st year coaches are under pressure?
Freo haven’t been blown out and been in every game with some senior player's injured

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nicks clearly is, and he's inherited a much less desirable list.

You mean aside from Port in wet weather?

29 points and 1 bad quarter.Not quite a blow out, but Freos worst performance.

I disagree that nicks is under pressure. I think Adelaide as a club is under pressure. The board and senior players definitely are. Nicks not so much

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Excellent thread.

Prior to today Freo were 1-4 having lost by 6, 12, 13, 29. Today's team had no Hamling, Pearce or Logue, no Hogan, Darcy got KOd, Young went off in the first quarter, Fyfe who had missed a week was hampered late. Down early then came back for a good win.

In what universe is/was J-Lo under any pressure at all? Adam Simpson is under more pressure over here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back