Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s shown some very good signs for a KPP for his age especially in comparison with others that have gone on to have made it to be very good AFL players, but you’re right, some are definitely using that potential and their foresight in rating him. I guess Cerra is another who has actually done very little but some rate extremely high none the less.
He had one of the most laziest and physically underprepared run of games I've ever seen last year before he got dropped. The dude on several occasions gave up. He is 100% in the McCarthy basket this season, they both need to just do something and elevate their games this season with the new coach. Also he needs to get a haircut, it looks cool on Luke but he looks like butters.
Really? I actually you have to explain the importance of contested marks? Do you base all forwards based on goal tallies? Quite silly. Anyone who watched freo could see our gameplan going forward was kick it to Pav at all costs. Tabs was a slow burn, like most forwards are. Now he is an extremely valuable player.

Tabs is a whipping boy on here, yet has proven to be one of the best contested marks in the comp. Cox has played a few good games, that is it. Cox is like Blakely on this board, showed a bit early, does nothing, but everyone remembers that one good game from a long time ago, so they're convinced there guns. Cox 2019 season was disappointing, which isn't the end of the world given his age, but realistically hes our fourth best forward and fourth best defender.

Blakely had a bunch of good games early. More than either Tabs or Cox. I'm fact Blakely first two years were better than Brayshaws. He probably had m ppre competition for possessions as well than Brayshaw. God I hope Blakely reaches his potential because he's very good when he's on.

I would be stunned with a 17th finish.
I genuinely believe we will be around 8.

If Ross was still in charge his supporters and detractors would be saying this has to be a finals finish year.
If that was a legitimate expectation of Ross then it is reasonable to feel Justin will be close particularly given
The talent we just picked up. The difference is Ross probably would not have used what we have just gained
but Justin probably will.

A 17th place finish will not happen.

We are a Fyfe injury away from being spoon contenders.

I'm expecting us to start slow but build as the year progresses.

It's highly possible we go into Rd 1 with the weakest team we'll field all year. I've learnt not to write us off in that situation because we've pulled out wins we really shouldn't have plenty of times (unfortunately the opposite is also true). I also think we'll have a bunch of players who will be extremely motivated to secure their spot in the B22 so hopefully a bunch of them step up in the early rounds and grab the opportunity with both hands (and the ball).

I think it will take quite a few rounds for the new game plan to start to come together and I'm hoping unlike past seasons we end the year strongly rather than start strong and then become a basket case halfway through. If our stars and spine is fit and available in the second half I think that'll go a long way to finishing the season well. It possibly also coincides with a bunch of young players with skills and speed starting to impact games more having built some confidence at AFL level through the season.

I'm not going to judge JLo on the win/loss this year but I am expecting to see some signs of a skilful, high scoring, defensively coordinated game plan through the year. I think right now we have the most skilful list we've ever had - it's just young. Now to get them on the park, staying on the park and effectively implementing a game plan involving high ball retention (far less turnovers!).

Ross wasn't sacked nor JLo appointed for immediate success. I don't think we should be resigned to finish bottom 4 but nor should we think it is finals or bust in 2020. We had some great performances last season (when our spine wasn't decimated), there is no reason we can't see similar via the growth of two thirds of the B22 despite the loss of our wingers.

Ross wasn't sacked nor JLo appointed for immediate success. I don't think we should be resigned to finish bottom 4 but nor should we think it is finals or bust in 2020. We had some great performances last season (when our spine wasn't decimated), there is no reason we can't see similar via the growth of two thirds of the B22 despite the loss of our wingers.

Then why was he sacked.......?

"Fremantle has not made finals for the past four years. This isn't acceptable to the board, the players and most importantly, our supporters." - Dale Alcock

As a supporter I find it very hypocritical (not directed at you) to say that if our spine is injured we can't be expected to make finals. Our spine has been decimated for years and yet the club chose to change the coaching staff instead of the S & C.

It seems silly to me that the club has said 4 years without finals is unacceptable yet they may well use our current injury issuesas an excuse for possibly being poor this uear.

Clean out the S & C department and give Longmuir a proper run at it.

Regardless of the coach, I recognize there is the possibility that the loss of both of our established wingmen may put us back from the expected growth that may have been projected. I am however hopeful that expected improvements in ball movement through players like Young from the backline, with improvement in Brayshaw, Cerra and some new classy small forwards (Serong, Henry) that our position may improve. But who knows?

While we continue to have an injury list that includes most of our first picked KPP, it really doesn't matter who the Head Coach is.

Meanwhile, I see Patton is training well... It really does seem that half the battle is keeping your big boys on the field.
Half the battle is having a competent S&C department

I have no agenda re: Ross. I just don’t think we can be competitive with the current state of our list.
Neither. Over abundance of wingers/half backers as usual for the last 20 years.
No depth for KPPs and already it’s being tested. Going to be a test for Jlo this season. Will be hard to keep the critics at bay, no matter what the injury list is.

Half the battle is having a competent S&C department
I’d give Hawthorn the highest paid then the players. Kidding.
But the S&C department over there managed to snap up Patton for junk as well as getting Scully and somehow he’s playing round 2, after GWS said he would be hard pressed to even make it back to AFL. Astonishing tbh. Even with his deficiencies, Patton is still a huge forward.

I’d give Hawthorn the highest paid then the players. Kidding.
But the S&C department over there managed to snap up Patton for junk as well as getting Scully and somehow he’s playing round 2, after GWS said he would be hard pressed to even make it back to AFL. Astonishing tbh. Even with his deficiencies, Patton is still a huge forward.

That was as much as looking after their players by getting them to where they want as well as dumping $1,000,000 per year in salaries on players that would need 12 months.

Scully is a shadow of who he was, could still come good and Patton was never amazing coming off an ACL. It was as beneficial to GWS as it was to Hawthorn. The last thing GWS want is pissed of players.

Hawthorn benifited greatly from the Clarkson/ Hawks S & C rep but don't believe for a minute that GWS do anything without it directly benefiting them.

They are a very well run club.

That was as much as looking after their players by getting them to where they want as well as dumping $1,000,000 per year in salaries on players that would need 12 months.

Scully is a shadow of who he was, could still come good and Patton was never amazing coming off an ACL. It was as beneficial to GWS as it was to Hawthorn. The last thing GWS want is pissed of players.

Hawthorn benifited greatly from the Clarkson/ Hawks S & C rep but don't believe for a minute that GWS do anything without it directly benefiting them.

They are a very well run club.
The funniest and best part is watching Hawthorn supporters try to understand the reality that they aren’t Gods gift to football when they missed out Coniglio and Shiel while missing that they helped GWS keep said players by taking Scully and Patton off their books

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funniest and best part is watching Hawthorn supporters try to understand the reality that they aren’t Gods gift to football when they missed out Coniglio and Shiel while missing that they helped GWS keep said players by taking Scully and Patton off their books

Them and Richmond supporters are the worst. It's as if their club success is due to them and their supporters wealth of football knowledge.

The level of obnoxiousness is high.

I wish we could be that obnoxious due to success 😔

Then why was he sacked.......?

"Fremantle has not made finals for the past four years. This isn't acceptable to the board, the players and most importantly, our supporters." - Dale Alcock

As a supporter I find it very hypocritical (not directed at you) to say that if our spine is injured we can't be expected to make finals. Our spine has been decimated for years and yet the club chose to change the coaching staff instead of the S & C.

It seems silly to me that the club has said 4 years without finals is unacceptable yet they may well use our current injury issuesas an excuse for possibly being poor this uear.

Clean out the S & C department and give Longmuir a proper run at it.
Yes Ross was sacked because of that (not making finals). But JLo was appointed because he was the best candidate that applied for the vacancy. They are separate things. JLo doesn't inherit RtB's expectations, the Board would have their own specifically for him. He's got a 3 year contract I think. I'm sure there are still high expectations of what he achieves... I just think expecting a new coach to come in with a brand new (more entertaining) game plan and take a team from 13th to finals is a bit unrealistic, irrespective of injuries. Not saying it isn't achievable, just that history suggests the improvement is more likely to become consistent in the 2nd year when a new game plan is implemented.

Yes Ross was sacked because of that (not making finals). But JLo was appointed because he was the best candidate that applied for the vacancy. They are separate things. JLo doesn't inherit RtB's expectations, the Board would have their own specifically for him.

Well said and I agree, I'm probably still annoyed at the decision making process and reasons given.

He's got a 3 year contract I think. I'm sure there are still high expectations of what he achieves... I just think expecting a new coach to come in with a brand new (more entertaining) game plan and take a team from 13th to finals is a bit unrealistic, irrespective of injuries. Not saying it isn't achievable, just that history suggests the improvement is more likely to become consistent in the 2nd year when a new game plan is implemented.

I don't care about "entertaining footy", i want wins and a premiership but whoever was given the job, in this case Longmuir, should be given a reasonable time frame to achieve the new goals.

I am certainly concerned he will end up like Alan Richardson or heaven forbid Scott Watters / Mark Neeld.

But surely we aren't that incompetent as a club.......

Sure, there are plenty of players in this list who are not at the standard of AFL, but every club has those players. Our Best 22 is easily capable of challenging for a top 8 position, it's on the players themselves to bring the attitude and drive to get there.

They got a decent deal for them both. Mature aged, Patton can still do more then a lot out there.
You want a refreshed Patton or a Hogan? I know who overpaid, that’s for sure. A fit Patton on the park is worth more then Hogan right now

Yes Ross was sacked because of that (not making finals). But JLo was appointed because he was the best candidate that applied for the vacancy. They are separate things. JLo doesn't inherit RtB's expectations, the Board would have their own specifically for him. He's got a 3 year contract I think. I'm sure there are still high expectations of what he achieves... I just think expecting a new coach to come in with a brand new (more entertaining) game plan and take a team from 13th to finals is a bit unrealistic, irrespective of injuries. Not saying it isn't achievable, just that history suggests the improvement is more likely to become consistent in the 2nd year when a new game plan is implemented.
Agree with most, but if we were in fact injury free, especially through the spine, I would be disappointed if we weren’t in finals contention.

They got a decent deal for them both. Mature aged, Patton can still do more then a lot out there.
You want a refreshed Patton or a Hogan? I know who overpaid, that’s for sure. A fit Patton on the park is worth more then Hogan right now
You are 100% correct but not what I was talking about.

Contested marks are so overrated in today's footy. What do the best players average? two a game? and what percentage of those marks end up as goals?
That is only part of the value that I can see. The ability to take contested marks meant Pavlich was often double teamed which is huge advantage if you have other scoring avenues. Also the act of contesting even when the ball isn’t marked can still provide opportunities for small forwards. The other important thing is that having a known target helps decision making for those who are delivering the ball.

In the end diversity is a fantastic thing to have forward, and contested marking is part of that.

One thing I have been keen on about Longmuir's coaching so far is getting the young players in their "natural positions" - especially:
  • Cerra into the midfield (His strength has always been moving the ball into the forward line by foot from the centre of the ground)
  • Sturt into the forward line (Again, I understand the previous temptation by Lyon to develop him as a wingman, given his attributes, but his best has always been forward of centre as a hybrid medium forward); and
  • Keeping Young in the backline (I reckon under other coaches there would have been something to play him elsewhere)
Will be interesting to see if this pays dividends or not when we get to the real thing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back