Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know he can play. The best way to run him into form is to play him.
He can play well, but hasn't done so outside of a few games last year. He needs to demand selection not be gifted it. The fact that he has AFL quality should make it easier for him to dominate the level below if his form warrants. Obviously that is difficult in the Micky Mouse games with limited supply, but his quality will still shine through if he is doing everything right.

I'm glad Lyon is gone, in JL we trust.
Throwing your toys out of the cot when the ball is delivered badly is enough not to get picked IMO.
You don't see Hawkins or Kennedy do that

He can play well, but hasn't done so outside of a few games last year. He needs to demand selection not be gifted it. The fact that he has AFL quality should make it easier for him to dominate the level below if his form warrants. Obviously that is difficult in the Micky Mouse games with limited supply, but his quality will still shine through if he is doing everything right.
We're not making finals this year. Integrating a gun forward into your side isn't gifting games. It's not like he was terrible when he played.

We're not making finals this year. Integrating a gun forward into your side isn't gifting games. It's not like he was terrible when he played.
I disagree on both counts. Hogan isn't a player that has done everything right and played very well for the club. He has been poor on and off field (whether his fault or not) and been well down on his Dees output since he got here.

If he is as good as you say, then he should stand out in the reserves and force JL to pick him. Clearly that is not what is happening and/or there is something non-playing related that is not up to scratch.

Hogan doesn't have credits built up here. He has done nothing except cost a fortune.

This guy just continues to impress me. Seriously impress me.

Yeah we got wasted by GWS. We're young and relatively inexperienced. And that brings inconsistency.

But every time I hear JLo speak now I find myself agreeing with everything he says. He really seems to have his finger on the pulse. On all the pulses.

I heard him on ABC pre-game. Duff asked him about GWS' run and how we might handle that. JLo responded by highlighting that GWS' strength was contested ball. And that's exactly how they beat us. We don't have the maturity yet to counter it, but it showed me that JLo can see the future.

They also asked him about drafting/trading. He said simply that we need outside run and a developing KPF. And that his strong preference is to go to the draft. Music to my ears and hopefully most of you too.

Extremely strong, clear and grounded first year coaching performance.

Yeah we got wasted by GWS. We're young and relatively inexperienced. And that brings inconsistency.

But every time I hear JLo speak now I find myself agreeing with everything he says. He really seems to have his finger on the pulse. On all the pulses.

I heard him on ABC pre-game. Duff asked him about GWS' run and how we might handle that. JLo responded by highlighting that GWS' strength was contested ball. And that's exactly how they beat us. We don't have the maturity yet to counter it, but it showed me that JLo can see the future.

They also asked him about drafting/trading. He said simply that we need outside run and a developing KPF. And that his strong preference is to go to the draft. Music to my ears and hopefully most of you too.

it does not take a rocket scientist to tell you that we need outside run when we lost our 2 best outside runners last year in Hill and Langdon. Hogan was recruited to be a kpf but he aint up to it. we also recruited Lobbe and have developed Taberner for years with him always getting injured when he looked to have made a big step. this year Tabs has not got injured. I like that Longmuir has played the young mids more time in the middle, but none of them are game breakers like a Martin, Fyfe , Dangerfield type. They look solid but I dont know if that will carry as far as we want to go, but at least we find out quicker. keep blooding games into the recent draftees and look for solid draft picks. they need to draft gold or Longmuir will end up with a losing record after his first contract and the heat will come quickly

Well said.
I found it interesting in the pregame with Grandstand, he said they wouldn’t be employing a stoppages etc coach, but the existing coaches would take on the role.
I’m sort of thinking that the thought process is for Mundy to go around again & perhaps take on a coaching role in that regards. He’s seen it all over the years & I have no doubt would do a great job in setting that part of the ground up.
To have him out there at the same time would be a huge advantage as was Hodge off half back at Brisbane with the young Lions.
I hope so anyway.

Just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Our president evidently thought we were old enough and experienced enough to make finals last year.

I think Justin rabbits cliche after cliche and the media are giving him a honeymoon.

I can't think of any players that are playing better under JLO that couldn't also reasonably be attributed to natural progression and I actually think a few have gone backwards.

Our president evidently thought we were old enough and experienced enough to make finals last year.

I think Justin rabbits cliche after cliche and the media are giving him a honeymoon.

I can't think of any players that are playing better under JLO that couldn't also reasonably be attributed to natural progression and I actually think a few have gone backwards.

Let me see...

Good stuff = natural progression
Bad stuff = J Lo's fault

OK, got it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doing the maths looking at our current win-loss percentages home and away, we would have been on track for a 9 win season in a standard 22 game season.

Winning 50% of games at home and around 30% of games away.

That's with a young team in a hub learning a new game plan with its entire KPP backline out injured.

It's not uncommon for teams working their way up the ladder to have a 9-10 win season before getting back into the top 8.

How long was Lyon in charge? & Longmuir has been in charge less than 1 ****ed up year. The fact we’re tracking the same as last year with this younger group is amazing.

Longmuir has had a tough year with covid and injury but has there been game plan changes.
Defense is still number one
Down the line bombs still number one
Play the boundary still number one.
Use of centre corridor still non existent.
Forward half still a shambles with all forward talls available.
Inability to hit the score board.
Next season will define Longmuir and his game plan.

Let me see...

Good stuff = natural progression
Bad stuff = J Lo's fault

OK, got it.

Its an interesting take Wig has.

I think personally he’s right and wrong...
I think the lesser lights have improved...Ryan, Cox, Taberner Brayshaw, Cerra.

and we’ve blooded a lot of newbies.

Where we have gone backwards is Fyfe, Walters, Lobb.

We’ve also not really had a run at it with injury.
I’m really concerned about our forward structure and ball movement forward.

as for J-lo, its just garbage.if anything he uses few cliches. I find he speaks clearly. And to the point.

Not mucking around with a winning team only happens when the stars weren't sidelined under Lyon. i remember a year when we were winning everything (2015 I think) and Stephen Hill slotted straight back into the team. If I was a betting man I'd say Hogan would be playing now under Lyon but I guess this is all crystal ball stuff.
I'm confused. Many posted on here criticising Lyon for not playing Bennell in the side and instead having him doing wafl time, and he was a certified star. Hill is undeserving of a spot in the best 22s apart from reputation as was Wilson earlier. Darcy/Lobb is currently a failing combination but we persist. Henry is clearly getting a game based on his draft pick rather than form.

All of that is what coaches do. I'd be disappointed if Longmuir doesn't test out the list.

I'm still waiting to see how much improvement the midfield can deliver.
On paper it should be improving, and JLo has to get Acres playing a role for the team.
Him and Valente not playing would be a disgrace.
Acres as a mature player, and being dropped for being soft, he needs the chance to respond.
Valente not debuting is just?
Pre-season I was really looking forward to see our midfield start to dominate.
Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, are on track, but it's still lacking, it all starts in the middle.

I'm still waiting to see how much improvement the midfield can deliver.
On paper it should be improving, and JLo has to get Acres playing a role for the team.
Him and Valente not playing would be a disgrace.
Acres as a mature player, and being dropped for being soft, he needs the chance to respond.
Valente not debuting is just?
Pre-season I was really looking forward to see our midfield start to dominate.
Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, are on track, but it's still lacking, it all starts in the middle.

I don't we ever had the cattle this year to dominate in the midfield though.

Outside of Mundy and Fyfe we still have young bodies that were going to get pushed around. Tucker is the one who maybe had enough experience and pre-seasons but he's out.

It was a midfield that took Mitchell, Jaeger, Worpel apart but we aren't experienced enough to do that regularly or to the better midfields.

Longmuir has had a tough year with covid and injury but has there been game plan changes.
Defense is still number one
Down the line bombs still number one
Play the boundary still number one.
Use of centre corridor still non existent.
Forward half still a shambles with all forward talls available.
Inability to hit the score board.
Next season will define Longmuir and his game plan.

Looking objectively, I think there have been subtle changes to the game plan - very much a Collingwood-esque "play safe by going around the boundary and force contests away from the corridor" style which is totally unsurprising given Longmuir's pedigree there.

The control of the ball coming out of defence has improved greatly from the Lyon period; even if it's still not perfect, I am at least confident that we can get to the wing without too much difficulty most of the time these days, which is a darn sight better than much of the previous 4 years!

Where there is clearly still an issue is the kick from the wing into the forward line. Not much really seems to have changed in that department; we either lack crumbing numbers at the drop if Tabs or Lobb don't mark, the tall forwards are still getting in each others' way far too much, and because we have become surer but slower ball movers it is apparent that nobody can get clear to have a shot in a very congested forward line even when we are putting pressure on.

Nevertheless, you could see earlier on this season that Hogan is probably our best answer to this - he and Taberner were developing a very good chemistry in terms of kicking the ball well to each other and we are crying out for a dominant half forward to act as that final link the scoring chain between the wing and the hot spot.

I believe JLo has decided that we can't use the corridor much because we just don't have any foot speed in the team to get maximum value out of it (re his comments about the draft). I also believe he's had to try and develop something on the fly to protect our very exposed defence as much as possible, and in this you have to say he has been quite successful. I am concerned that the gameplan is too conservative to challenge all teams, but I am willing to give it another pre-season to hopefully have both full team training and a new approach to the forward line before making final judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back