Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on most parts and don’t think he’s leaving either so not spending much time thinking about it .
I’m concerned about our fear of failure following the Hogan , McCarthy , Kersten, Tarrant........trades .

Sooner or later we need to bring in ready made quality ( ala Cameron to Geelong) . Instant rewards.
The perpetual rebuild is flawed .
We are all hoping like hell that Darcy, Serong , Young , Ryan ......... don’t leave in 2-3 years but there’s every chance they could if we dont start winning finals .
Then we are screwed , like gone back years type screwed .
The core we have now should peak in 3 years , a Bolton / Cameron five year deal for a key player puts them right in the spotlight when we hit our straps .
Greatly respect your posts Joao and I’m sure you’ve considered the balance at great length .
Not sure Tarrant was a failed trade. The guy turned into a very good defender here.

Not sure Tarrant was a failed trade. The guy turned into a very good defender here.
it was most definitely a failed trade. We traded pick 13 (Jack Riewoldt) and Polak for pick 8 (Ben Reid). We then trade pick 8 and Paul Medhurst (AA 2 years later) for Tarrant. We gave up a s**t ton for 2 seasons as an average forward, and 1.5 good seasons in defence before he went back to the Pies for * all

it was most definitely a failed trade. We traded pick 13 (Jack Riewoldt) and Polak for pick 8 (Ben Reid). We then trade pick 8 and Paul Medhurst (AA 2 years later) for Tarrant. We gave up a sh*t ton for 2 seasons as an average forward, and 1.5 good seasons in defence before he went back to the Pies for fu** all
Yes
I don’t have the best memory nor brilliance with stats like you guys have but I do recall feeling he was a big waste of time .

Jeez it hurts when you put up that info in hindsight! To think it could have been Jumping Jack ( yeh probably wouldn’t have gone 13 , may not have developed as well with us .......blah , blah .)
But it gives more credence to the arguments for going to the draft .
Im Torn 🤔

I agree on most parts and don’t think he’s leaving either so not spending much time thinking about it .
I’m concerned about our fear of failure following the Hogan , McCarthy , Kersten, Tarrant........trades .

Sooner or later we need to bring in ready made quality ( ala Cameron to Geelong) . Instant rewards.
The perpetual rebuild is flawed .
We are all hoping like hell that Darcy, Serong , Young , Ryan ......... don’t leave in 2-3 years but there’s every chance they could if we dont start winning finals .
Then we are screwed , like gone back years type screwed .
The core we have now should peak in 3 years , a Bolton / Cameron five year deal for a key player puts them right in the spotlight when we hit our straps .
Greatly respect your posts Joao and I’m sure you’ve considered the balance at great length .
If we do hit our straps in 3 years, thats when you chase a Bolton type. Doing it now is literally repeating the same mistake we've made over and over as a club. When the foundations are in place and proven at the level. Otherwise you have burnt serious draft capital on players that will be useless without the foundations below when you should have just drafted those foundations with those picks. In our case this is triply so as we have Treacy as a KPF option beyond 2026. What good is bolton going to do when we have 1 KPF option in the team at that point. Remember they take years to develop.

I don't there is any evidence for players leaving on mass when consistently missing/not winning finals or Carlton and Essendon would have no players and nor would Richmond at the start of their dynasty.

I'd also argue perpetual rebuild doesn't apply. We are rebuilding with the same players. Our draft core is the good part of the team (Andy, Darcy, Ryan et al) If anything, trading for ready made quality is the precise reason we are still ****. If we had the patience to just draft players rather than shortcut with mediocre players and big talents with even bigger problems we'd probably be closer than what we are now. We've not got enough out of most trades. Hogan was the worst piece of business ever. Lobb we overpaid and overpaid for. Pretty much every traded player is inconsistent or ****.

Hogan
Lobb
Aish (I do like Aish)
Acres
Colyer
Kersten
Matera (He threatened for that one season)
Probably a bunch of others I have forgotten.

The passes were
Hill
Hamling
Can argue Wilson although he can definitely fit in inconsistent.

Last edited:
When the list includes pretty much the untried talent of Frederick, Western, Henry, Chapman, Odriscoll, Valente, Walker all who are capable of wing or midfield .Why draft more of their type?
Freo need Talls , that's the gaping hole in the list.
Draft after draft of ignoring that has got us into the hole we are in now,

it was most definitely a failed trade. We traded pick 13 (Jack Riewoldt) and Polak for pick 8 (Ben Reid). We then trade pick 8 and Paul Medhurst (AA 2 years later) for Tarrant. We gave up a sh*t ton for 2 seasons as an average forward, and 1.5 good seasons in defence before he went back to the Pies for fu** all
Yeah okay it was a failed trade given that. Didn't remember that stuff up. I was more referring to what Tarrant gave us as a player.

That extra talent from the swapped picks would have made a helluva difference in our flag tilt in 2013 - 2015 (that plus the other trade/draft issues over the preceding decade)

JLo is not the problem. It's the power hungry sycophants who are only interested in using the club to further their own selfish interests.

Our list is a joke. Our forward line cannot kick goals, we do not have the talent required. The club thought they could cheat on the rebuild, and now it has blown up in their faces.

We have to purge the club. We have to break away from the WAFC because they do not care about Freo.

christ. That is horrid.

From an outsider looking in, it probably means nothing, but I'm a bit concerned that he still seems completely overwhelmed during press conferences towards the end of his second year.
I hear what you are saying - but if we are concerned about coaches treading all over their dicks in press conferences, as opposed to not being terribly comfortable, your boy the chicken molester takes this one by a country mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't go for Clarko, he'd cost us the Freo Harbour.
Rosich might've but I can't see this mob being so unpredictable

He brings Freo a premiership after winning 4 already

Makes him the undisputed greatest.

I think he is the type driven to be the greatest.

Clarko has plenty of projects to work on in Victoria if he is motivated enough to want to prove anything else to add to his coaching legacy. Carlton, North, Collingwood and Saints would all be a decent challenge.

Freo would however be the ultimate test of coaching prowess but adds the burden of shifting his family interstate too.

Clarko has plenty of projects to work on in Victoria if he is motivated enough to want to prove anything else to add to his coaching legacy. Carlton, North, Collingwood and Saints would all be a decent challenge.

Freo would however be the ultimate test of coaching prowess but adds the burden of shifting his family interstate too.
Well he already has an apartment at Coogee so accommodation is sorted haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back