Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Healy said today, we are 5th in the league for expected score. Kick straight and we are a couple of games into the 8 with a much healthier percentage. No doubt of that in my mind at all. Yet around half on this board do not want to re-sign JLo.

Sure we've had some crap games but name a team this year that hasn't? There hasn't been many.

It's still going to be tough to make the eight this year with no Fyfey, Walters, Lobb or Cox for the rest of the year but we still might go very close.

Last edited:
From an outsider looking in, it probably means nothing, but I'm a bit concerned that he still seems completely overwhelmed during press conferences towards the end of his second year.
So you think he needs to talk more about private schools and soforth, like the genius your mob currently trot out every week?

Not only that why would he come to a club thats gets shat on continuously by the AFL and is pretty much irrelevant to them.
That is exactly the type of challenge Clarko craves. AFL will shoehorn him to GC though...

So you think he needs to talk more about private schools and soforth, like the genius your mob currently trot out every week?
Nah, he needs to film the irreverent misadventures of a rubber chicken with a penchant for sexual deviance. That oughta do it!

Being realistic, the classic Rossism of 'it's never as good or as bad as it seems' feels very relevant right now. Great win, but it doesn't mean much if we don't go on with it and have a serious crack at finals by beating Brisbane and West Coast. At the same time, deciding that he doesn't have what it takes based off one game where we fell away after losing two of our most important leaders (and playing some pretty good football before that) is equally short-sighted.

Being realistic, the classic Rossism of 'it's never as good or as bad as it seems' feels very relevant right now. Great win, but it doesn't mean much if we don't go on with it and have a serious crack at finals by beating Brisbane and West Coast. At the same time, deciding that he doesn't have what it takes based off one game where we fell away after losing two of our most important leaders (and playing some pretty good football before that) is equally short-sighted.
So, in essence, the club's plight all comes back to fitness and availability of key personnel. For too long it's been the thorn in our side!

Being realistic, the classic Rossism of 'it's never as good or as bad as it seems' feels very relevant right now. Great win, but it means nothing if we don't go on with it and have a serious crack at the finals by beating Brisbane and West Coast. At the same time, deciding that he doesn't have what it takes based off a game where we fell away after losing two of our most important leaders (and playing some pretty good football before that) is equally short-sighted.
Exactly, well said. For me, Bell's schemeing and politicking are far more of an immediate problem than anything JLo does. Bell is trying to be Nisbett MkII.

So, in essence, the club's plight all comes back to fitness and availability of key personnel. For too long it's been the thorn in our side!

Definitely.

But looking at the difference in age and experience of the two teams today shows that we might not be as bereft of talent/fight as have previously been suggested.

Definitely.

But looking at the difference in age/experience of the two teams today shows that we might not be as bereft of talent/fight as have previously been suggested.
This is true, it's just that the will and determination needs to be exhibited on a more frequent basis and away from home. You can't always have a rabid purple army hanging on your every move!

Exactly, well said. For me, Bell's schemeing and politicking are far more of an immediate problem than anything JLo does. Bell is trying to be Nisbett MkII.

Can you tell me what schemeing and politicking he's done and the impact this has had on our performance this year?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said previously he needs to be given an extension to his contract to have a chance at finishing what he started.
Last week I raised concerns over:
1. Goal kicking
2. Tackling
3. A lack of defensive ability for anyone that isn't in our back six.

Big improvement on the last two this week. If it stays that way I'm happy enough to give him an extension this off season. Our overall body of work in these areas does still concern me though.

I would like to see a better kick-in approach, Ryan and Wilson tend to just hoof it up the line each time. I wish we could chip it around bit like Geelong do and move the press/stretch the ground but I feel like the players don't trust their skills.

I would like to see a better kick-in approach, Ryan and Wilson tend to just hoof it up the line each time. I wish we could chip it around bit like Geelong do and move the press/stretch the ground but I feel like the players don't trust their skills.
Was thinking the exact thing last night. Not sure if its the way we setup and/or the way teams defend us leaving D50 but we have more than enough good kicks out of the backline to do something better than what we tend to.

I think the issue is with the next player taking the kick after the kick in. I'd love to know our turnover rate from that second kick. Getting Young and a few others back into the team may change that.

100%. 26 kicks by Ryan, half of them if not less were marked or 15-30m away.
Given Young the duties. That kick to Cerra to open up play in the 4th. Delicious

They kicked to the same side every time. It was like watching someone smash their head against a brick wall over and over and over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back