Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go against the grain and say Banfield should stay on the list, I think as a tagger he can provide some value to the squad, and if someone surpasses him he's absolutely worth keeping around as depth.

Banfield was getting props for 'shutting down' Kelly (subbed out injured) then going on to Shuey (25 touches). Next week his opponent Steele gets 36 and is BOG. He got tried as a tagger because he was doing nothing in the forward line. He's just a straight up delist for mine, I don't see the upside. We have plenty of stragglers who can learn to tag if we need that role.

Banfield was getting props for 'shutting down' Kelly (subbed out injured) then going on to Shuey (25 touches). Next week his opponent Steele gets 36 and is BOG. He got tried as a tagger because he was doing nothing in the forward line. He's just a straight up delist for mine, I don't see the upside. We have plenty of stragglers who can learn to tag if we need that role.
Was going to say the exact same thing.. its a myth that him "back tagging" was successful

There's some players you just can't tag like our very own Fyfe and Mundy. Because he didn't stop Steele doesn't mean he can't tag.

I'm not surprised he wasn't having an impact up forward when he doesn't play forward to begin with, he's a midfielder and was only ever played up forward because we lacked a 3rd option and was the only dude tall enough to do it. And like someone else said, you're not gonna be able to tag everybody you play against.

I think people are overly harsh on him when there's much worse players that got cut (Watson excluded because I quite liked him)

Just pointing out Banfield was moved off Steele at half time and onto Brad Hill, and up until that point I thought he did a job that you would expect of a basic delist 2's depth player on genuinely a top 3-7 mid in the game who's in and under work is elite. Very harsh to say it's nothing and he needs to go. He is a rookie who can stay on the rookie list for one more year for peanuts, and has some form of ability (limited at that) in more than one role. Personally think the decision to tag Steele is what should be judged not Banfield's attempt at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s made a GF

Fair enough but so has JLo (as an assistant) and hasn't had the opportunity to do it as a head coach. We also just sacked a coach that had achieved that! It's really weak evidence as to the ability of JLo vs others. If we rate JLo and aren't getting strong vibes from Clarkson (or anyone else that we think is clearly better than JLo) about next year then sign him up.

Fremantle are set to start working on a new deal for Justin Longmuir beyond 2022, with the senior coach approaching the third and final year of his contract at the Club.

CEO Simon Garlick praised Longmuir for his development in the role since taking the reins ahead of the 2020 season.

“People forget we started 0-4 last year and that can bring a fair amount of pressure onto a rookie coach but JL handled it really well,” Longmuir told TAB Radio.

“We made progress last year and I think it stepped up again. He’s a contemporary coach, in the sense that he’s technically really strong and he takes a holistic view and approach.

“He develops relationships and trust with the playing group to make sure that in the inevitable times when the hard conversations have to be had, there’s real clarity and it comes from a position of strong relations too.

“JL’s doing a really good job, we’re working on putting a really strong (coaching) team around him.

“He’s two years into a three year contract so we’ve got 12 months to run and we’re going to start initiating discussions around what it might look like beyond that.

“The focus has been primarily on a football perspective. As you can imagine, JL didn’t want any distractions and nor did we as we look to push towards finals but we have an opportunity now to map out what the next 12 months look like as well as the next three to five years as well.”

CEO Simon Garlick praised Longmuir for his development in the role since taking the reins ahead of the 2020 season.

“People forget we started 0-4 last year and that can bring a fair amount of pressure onto a rookie coach but JL handled it really well,” Longmuir told TAB Radio.

We were one win off finals, are attracting decent assistants, Bob Murphy must think we are going in the right direction, clearly travelling well enough for the reigning Brownlow medallist, all our major talent is signed up except for Cerra.

Still seems the majority on here would prefer to let Longmuir stew than re-sign him.

Fremantle are set to start working on a new deal for Justin Longmuir beyond 2022, with the senior coach approaching the third and final year of his contract at the Club.

“We made progress last year and I think it stepped up again. He’s a contemporary coach, in the sense that he’s technically really strong and he takes a holistic view and approach.

“He develops relationships and trust with the playing group to make sure that in the inevitable times when the hard conversations have to be had, there’s real clarity and it comes from a position of strong relations too.

“JL’s doing a really good job, we’re working on putting a really strong (coaching) team around him.

“He’s two years into a three year contract so we’ve got 12 months to run and we’re going to start initiating discussions around what it might look like beyond that.

“The focus has been primarily on a football perspective. As you can imagine, JL didn’t want any distractions and nor did we as we look to push towards finals but we have an opportunity now to map out what the next 12 months look like as well as the next three to five years as well.”
I love a coach that always refers to himself in the third person.

I love a coach that always refers to himself in the third person.

JL likes this

We were one win off finals, are attracting decent assistants, Bob Murphy must think we are going in the right direction, clearly travelling well enough for the reigning Brownlow medallist, all our major talent is signed up except for Cerra.

Still seems the majority on here would prefer to let Longmuir stew than re-sign him.
Not me. I would have re-signed him 6 weeks ago.

On-field we've just had our most successful year since 2015.

It's been nice that I don't have to pick up the paper to another Freo story for the wrong reasons. People forget what a s**t-show we were during the
Lyon/Bennell/Hogan era. Under Longmuir/Bell we seemed to have cleaned house off-field as well.

Under Longmuir, we're also clawing back the 5000 odd members who left in Lyon's final year posting consecutive membership increases in 2020/2021.

Longmuir has ticked every box.

Last edited:

It's been nice that I don't have to pick up the paper to another Freo story for the wrong reasons. People forget what a sh*t-show we were during the
Lyon/Bennell/Hogan era. Under Longmuire/Bell we seemed to have cleaned house off-field as well.

Under Longmuire, we're also clawing back the 5000 odd members who left in Lyon's final year posting consecutive membership increases in 2020/2021.

Longmure has ticked every box.
I agree with it all except the spelling

It's been nice that I don't have to pick up the paper to another Freo story for the wrong reasons. People forget what a sh*t-show we were during the
Lyon/Bennell/Hogan era. Under Longmuire/Bell we seemed to have cleaned house off-field as well.

Under Longmuire, we're also clawing back the 5000 odd members who left in Lyon's final year posting consecutive membership increases in 2020/2021.

Longmure has ticked every box.

Here’s me all this time spelling his name as Longmuir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back