Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obviously three years too long on the extension... :p

Very promising future ahead for the club. Can't wait to see that 2024 premiership.

This seems a little premature. Could have signed him up six rounds into 2022 if everything was going smoothly.
Five years first up for a new coach is pretty reasonable tenure, barring a disaster in those first couple of years. It provides a decent sample size then and gives time to bed down gameplans and the team they want.

Three years is just not enough if you're bringing in a rookie coach to build a team (vs a coach to propel the team to immediate contention).

I am not sure it was needed and don't see how it was an easy decision. He seems very nice which is positive, aside from that we have barely improved from when he took on the job. Finals is a must this year. If not he and the club should be under some pressure next season.

I don't think he will be under pressure (media) this year unless we win 2-3 games less than last year. Internally there should be an expectation of finals and anything less should cause at least a review of each position from Bell through to JL.

Imo the extension could have waited until the bye or later. Interesting move from the club. I hope he crushes it and leads us to our first flag!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may sound completely illogical and a little cutesy, but I'm happy that JL has been extended based on nothing but the vibe.

Wins and losses are obviously the ultimate measure of success but clubs like Richmond, Melbourne, even Sydney and the Bulldogs have shown us that success is often predicated on sound and stable management and the building of strong intra-club relationships.

There has been an obvious shift in our culture, as well as in our recruiting and trading, and possibly even in our conditioning, that makes me think we are on the road to some form of success. Whether that be a premiership is impossible to tell, but I firmly believe we are giving ourselves the best chance, and that JL is a key part of the process.

I'm happy to ride this train for the foreseeable future...it's turning out to be an enjoyable trip.

I'm happy with this and i like the direction we are heading in. The team as a unit just need to stop breaking down and get some continuity together. A static best sort of 18 to 22 would be nice with 2 or 3 changes here or there based off form. We could then have the luxury of giving opportunities, encouragement and incentives for great peel performers and grow our list more.

Make no mistake. Our list is raw, Its young and its hungry. We have one of the youngest lists but also comparatively we are experienced for our age group. The wheel will turn. Purple will be feared again. Sustainable finals aplenty.

Or I'm a glass half full kinda guy. I feel like I say this every year.

Don't mind this one. +2 years is reasonable to offer him a good amount of security/backing without going overboard like the Lyon contract.

As others have mentioned, on the surface at least there's a really positive atmosphere around the club and this only adds to it IMO.

Why?
The last coach was sacked two years ago for not making finals.
If JLo three years later still hasn't, logic says he has to go.
Or the board that sacked the last coach has to, one or the other.
This post did not age well.

Your Longmuir hate will have to go on a bit longer I'm afraid.

I am not convinced about JL yet. Certainly not a disastrous tenure as coach at this point but it's concerning how we don't show up against the better sides time after time. The second Derby this year was an exception.

Injuries and a young list are realistic contributing factors in the teams inability to mount a challenge to the top side in the first year's of JL's coaching tenure however he needs to get better results to warrant this extension at this stage imo.

I sincerely hope he can get us back into finals and then into the upper part of the 8 by the end of this extension. Best of luck JL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back