Moo

Premium Platinum
Dec 20, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd
You get their in the coaching department by bringing in a known quantity or developing your own.

We've invested in the develop your own path and the most important thing is JLo has had plenty of time to develop a gameplan and pick the cattle to go with this gameplan.

I've seen sound improvement in JLo's time and think the speed we have now developed across the back/mid line will hold us in good stead.

Really interested to see that round 1 team ...if we've got a full list to choose from - it'd be great to see who the club rates as our best back 6 and 2 wingers.

Mags98

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair I am not sure I have seen a poster who is all negative on here for a long time. Even Memories was positive at times. Bushie... he also managed to be positive at times, and often hilarious. Yyou doesn't rate Brayshaw but is positive about other things...

Happy for them to be pointed out, but I don't think anyone here who has said they aren't sure or others who are saying they don't think he should have been extended are all negative. Then again one of the only thing I think of in absolutes is that I think absolutes are rarely or close to never accurate or helpful.

Given there seems to be mixed details on if we would have to pay him out if we let him go early, I am not sure we should have extended this early. Having said that, I am excited about the season ahead and think that we will finish in the eight. I am expecting a 12-13 win season. I think we will continue to see JL grow and his coaching team with him. I have questions around J Carr but other than that think we have what seems to be a strong team of coaches. I will keep this aimed at JL and coaches but there is a lot to be excited and positive about, while still holding the view about the extension and concerns about our injury history. Another concern is the loss of development to players like sturt if they are continually injured.

On another positive note I think we will have at least three players on the AA squad this season. If that happens JL will and should get some credit.
3 is a big call

assuming its brayshaw, darcy and pearce?

Sully90

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
3 is a big call

I'll go with Fyfe, Pearce, and Taberner.

Can't see Darcy going past Gawn just yet, and Brayshaw is probably still at least 1 more year away from AA midfielder levels.

Fyfe and Pearce will remind everyone how good they are injuries aside.

Taberner just because.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I'll go with Fyfe, Pearce, and Taberner.

Can't see Darcy going past Gawn just yet, and Brayshaw is probably still at least 1 more year away from AA midfielder levels.

Fyfe and Pearce will remind everyone how good they are injuries aside.

Taberner just because.
He doesn't have to have gone past Gawn to be in the AA squad.

eastfreo75

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The issue extending J Lo too early is that it reduces your options if things go pear shaped.

The issue not extending J Lo too early is that increases noise around the coach and doesn't give much confidence in the coach.

My solution for future hiring coaches is give a new coach 4 years contract but the club has an option on the fourth.

Therefore the club does a review at the end of year 2 and then decides to take the fourth year option.

The issue is that most coaches in year 1 get a raise in performance due to other teams unable to scout your game style fully. Year 2 opposition coaches know your style and how you do things.

Three year is the real test, to see if you can counter other coaches.

poshman

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
CFC, San Antonio Spurs
3 is a big call

Squad is 44 IIRC -

Darcy - Brayshaw - Fyfe

I think Ryan - Pearce - Tabs and another could be in the conversation as well.

Pearce would have been AA if he could have strung a couple of 20 game seasons together. Luckily he should still be entering his prime.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The issue extending J Lo too early is that it reduces your options if things go pear shaped.

The issue not extending J Lo too early is that increases noise around the coach and doesn't give much confidence in the coach.

My solution for future hiring coaches is give a new coach 4 years contract but the club has an option on the fourth.

Therefore the club does a review at the end of year 2 and then decides to take the fourth year option.

The issue is that most coaches in year 1 get a raise in performance due to other teams unable to scout your game style fully. Year 2 opposition coaches know your style and how you do things.

Three year is the real test, to see if you can counter other coaches.
I think any experienced coach gets a 3-4 year deal.

Any rookie gets 2 years, which gets extended to 3 as soon as they pass the Neeld test.

masai tu

Debutant
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
There are literally people on this board that are all negative, nothing the club or players do changes their thought process. Always something to tear down and gripe about.
Most importantly none of them have run a sporting club before at a professional level which is all you need to know.

Less words is better, just call them Negative Nellies. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

WilloTree

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
There are literally people on this board that are all negative, nothing the club or players do changes their thought process. Always something to tear down and gripe about.
Most importantly none of them have run a sporting club before at a professional level which is all you need to know.
yep - it's frustrating watching them ignore what's in front of them.

Even when you explain it, they either don't understand or get very defensive.

blue shark

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can we have a similar trajectory as the Brisbane Lions had in 2019?
They really lifted their intensity and attack on the ball and player.
The only teams we beat in the top 8 were GWS and Sydney. Of the others we should of beaten the Bombers. The others teams just physically beat us up.
Probably the worse image was of Wilson in the goal square. But he isn’t alone in that department.
At times Acres, Tucker have disappointed, experienced AFL players.
Plenty of skill and pace, but can JLo create a home fortress that has teams feeling the pinch?

eastfreo75

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can we have a similar trajectory as the Brisbane Lions had in 2019?
They really lifted their intensity and attack on the ball and player.
The only teams we beat in the top 8 were GWS and Sydney. Of the others we should of beaten the Bombers. The others teams just physically beat us up.
Probably the worse image was of Wilson in the goal square. But he isn’t alone in that department.
At times Acres, Tucker have disappointed, experienced AFL players.
Plenty of skill and pace, but can JLo create a home fortress that has teams feeling the pinch?
You make the 8 you need to beat other teams outside 8.

To make the top 4, you need to beat everybody outside the top 4.

To win the flag you need to beat top 4 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad