Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Gaga Love GIF by The Academy Awards

Longmuir has to be up there as one of the best game day coaches. Always finds a way to get us back into the contest.
I think the massive positive out of this is that this was his weakness prior to 22 imo

The belief from the team plays a big part in this, also massive kudos to the crowd tonight, could feel the boys were feeding off of it

What do you all think of him as a coach? He seems quiet, understated and calm. Not the usual personality to be head coach. What influence do you think or even better know he has on the team?

Last edited:
What do you all think of him as a coach? He seems quiet, understated and calm. Not the usual personality to be head coach. What influence do you think or even better know he has on the team?
I dunno. He is a bit new agey..
Definitely not the alpha rosco type.

A bit more of a diplomatic leader, allowing everybody under him the freedom to do their best at what they are good at..more of an Obama to roscoes Putin ??🤣🤣

I dunno. He is a bit new agey..
Definitely not the alpha rosco type.

A bit more of a diplomatic leader, allowing everybody under him the freedom to do their best at what they are good at..more of an Obama to roscoes Putin ??🤣🤣
I like that if that's the case and hope it works out. I hope they are more motivated out of respect than by fear.

He’s able to get the best out of so many of our players and he does it by empowering them and building relationships with them, rather than the old school “do as I say or you’re dropped” method. Lots of people say it’s new age or soft but you can’t argue with the results.

Most importantly though, he is a silver 🦊

I like his approach. He seems to be able to motivate the boys too. Except for first quarters, apparently 🤷‍♀️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best we've had imo.
Me personally, based on the players available and the players Justin Longmuir has got and what Justin Longmuir has done since the Start of 2020 season, the 2nd best coach behind Ross Lyon.

My opinion might change once Justin Longmuir has done his coaching stint a the dockers.

Last edited:
You cray.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I probably was crazy.

But start of the season , Justin Longmuir was out of contract in 2022. Freo then signed an extension for 2 more years until 2024.

I thought it was a risk at the time. I am happy that I was proven wrong

Absolutely. Finals should be the expectation. Regardless of anything we should be trending upwards at this stage.
I predicted another 9th-12th placed finish. But hoped if freo got a finals spot, it would be 7th or 8th
The teams that make finals regularly are less affected by injury.
Dees only played 34 players this year.
They had quality and depth, something JLo hasn’t had the luxury of at Freo.
Their spine, talls as a combined unit is probably the best in the AFL ATM.
Which allowed Fritsch and Pickett to shine.
I think Chapman if the stories are true that he is now 196cm has to be developed as a key defender. The close to 200cm forwards are the ones we struggle against.
We fix the depth, quality, get a good run with injury and I don’t see why JLo won’t get us into finals?
True. Teams that have the least injuries make finals. If you have most of your best 23 in each game, it improved your chances of winning games.

Freo were 8-4 after 12 games. Only one bloke in our best 23 didn't play the 1st 14 games. That was Fyfe.

Sure freo had players that missed the odd game with corona virus 🦠. But that was the rotation players and the kids. So in a way it was a blessing in disguise.

Have to make finals. If we don't it's a failure.

If we can limit our injuries..i can see us even winning a final or two.
Excellent 👌 call.

Again.... I hoped for 7th or 8th and get that Elim finals loss.

Didn't care about losing by 40-60 points, just wanted younger guys like Amiss, Brayshaw and Serong etc to play a final.

We got 5th. Had a home final vs the Bulldogs and won.

Sounds crazy to bump threads from 50-60 pages back.....

He’s able to get the best out of so many of our players and he does it by empowering them and building relationships with them, rather than the old school “do as I say or you’re dropped” method. Lots of people say it’s new age or soft but you can’t argue with the results.

Most importantly though, he is a silver 🦊
I am nominating JL for Coach Of The Round, for his part in the Turnaround on Saturday Night.

I offer up the Q1 collapse as textbook example of the value/necessity of Finals Experience...
JL was able at the break, to limit the consequences of that near total lack of experience, to a failed Q1...
as against a failed finals series.
The experience of the win over the Dogs sets us up very well for the Pies.
We go in with Confidence Won from Experience and Nothing To Lose!
Whatever happens now, this finals series must go down as a success.
Crucially his game day leadership was able to reset the Leaders and the Team in real time.
They then did the rest!
The Gameday Coach and Home And Away Coach are two different roles...JL is the guy for both of them!
And behind him more solid support in depth.

Things are tracking very well!

YOKAI!

Last edited:
Adding Brodie and Clark is very fortunate. Sure we lost a very classy player in Cerra, but those 2 should be best 22.
Brodie may even surprise us?
The backline could really ignite next year, but it has always looked best with Pearce in it, and no one close to his game.
Chapman is the one I think could surpass him.
We have so much skill, but are very brittle, add some strength or size and it starts to look like a team on the up.
Jordan Clark and Will Broadie have both being inspired trades this season In 2022

It needs to be remembered that not only were we a very young and inexperienced playing group last night, but also as a coaching group. All line coaches were well beaten last night. They'll all take a lot of learning from the game and experience.
Not all, Joel Corey has experience.
We have had trouble against the Pies, Swans all year.
They can match our run, bypass our zoning.
We are young and hopefully with a few preseasons monster the opposition.
Let’s hope the nice footy we played is spiced up with more backbone.

Not all, Joel Corey has experience.
We have had trouble against the Pies, Swans all year.
They can match our run, bypass our zoning.
We are young and hopefully with a few preseasons monster the opposition.
Let’s hope the nice footy we played is spiced up with more backbone.

Eh? Corey is a development coach and has f all coaching experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back