Status
Not open for further replies.

S.J Rollin

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2002
Lathlain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Back in the day before “The Responsible Service of Alcohol”... me and a couple of mates had a tent at the Perth Cup Tentland...120 person space about half the size of a tennis court, trackside right next to the stewards tower on the bend to the main straight.

No security, No DJ (we relied on neighbouring tents... thanks Leftback Tank for those 3 years when you were our neighbour) and no profit.... we budgeted thru the day so that we didn‘t run out until the cops on horses began the massive sweep out at 9pm. The milder the day the more likely it was just beer and wine but if it was above 30, punters would pace themselves which meant we could often afford a couple of hours of spirits and UDL’s for the ladies.

Anyway... one year probs 2007 or 2008, one weagles mate (my other friends called Tent Nazi) told me JLo and another had made their way in and for me to deal with it. I went over and told Justin (dressed to the nines in his Bonds T and double pluggers) I was happy to meet him and he and his mate were welcome for a couple but no more of his mates were welcome and he would eventually have to move on.

We talked a bit of wheat sheep farming, fillies in the tent (sorry JLo... that‘s my mates GF) and then back to the footy... he was most likely patronising to keep the drinks coming but was getting pretty chummy about being passionate Freo and smashing the other mob up the road.

It had been a warm day so the big fella was happy when I said we now had bundy’s or bourbons in the ice buckets. JLo and his wingman scored a couple of these but as the sun starts to set, knowing other influences beyond alcohol would start to come into play I suggested it was time to move on... he was more than agreeable and gave us another bear hug on departure and a lot more Freo player passion than I was expecting.

Pleasure to have you in the Tent JLo and hopefully it will be a pleasurable ride ahead at the helm.... you got a good 4 or 5 cans out of me... 2 Cups in return and we’ll call it even. 👍

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Loudest crowd ive ever been to was against the Dees at Subi 2006

Went to get some beers at half time, got held up ( as you do at subi the s**thole ) by thye time i got back to y seat we were about 3 goals down

Like WTF what happened ?

After that it was a ding dong affair and we prevailed by about 3 or 4 goals

The noise coming from the crowd during the FREEEO chant was pure guttural, in unison with 42,000 fans

Residents in Subi reckon it was the loudest noise they ever heard

The rest of the night was a blur for some reason :beermug:
Was there! Had a very similar experience haha.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Back in the day before the freo cheer squad had their ball removed.
Miss the loud proud games of old.
Now as a crowd we sound softer than a duck quill pillow

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Back in the day before the freo cheer squad had their ball removed.
Miss the loud proud games of old.
Now as a crowd we sound softer than a duck quill pillow

That's a generational thing though, I remember the Big Day Out and other concerts around that time period and the energy and volume was enormous. Pre-smart phone era but post-online music - the younger generation are a lot smarter, but a lot more introspective now.

Fans more likely to be spewing fury and joy on Bigfooty than actually jumping on their seat screaming.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah DanWA get GAGF, but I think kelly will be a missing link for that midfield, they have a lots of good players, but Kelly just came 5th in the Brownlow.
He could win one with the Toast

This is not a shot at Longmuir, I really hope he succeeds.

If they had Longmuir earmarked for the role as the best candidate, why sack Lyon after R22, rather than waiting until R23? What did that extra week buy Freo? Longmuir wasn't leaving Pies until after finals, Sumich was always going to be available. Rawlings and Solomon clearly still available a month later.

It was a calculated decision to sack Lyon and Rosich after R22 to strengthen the power in those who remain. Whilst Longmuir might have been the best candidate for the job (before and after the process), the way the position became available was a case of those in power wanting to have someone they know in the role - then you don't look too far, interview the candidates you know well (plus Sumich to placate the WA media).

If the CEO role goes to the current COO or someone else with ties to Freo/Bell, we're all in on Peter Bell.
Congrats Josh Carr.

Freo cast the net wide and ended with another ex-Freo player, conveniently.

Like Longmuir, I hope you're great.

In a totally unrelated matter, I'm selling shares in Peter Bell, his stocks are hitting tech boom levels.

Plowoff

Draftee
Oct 17, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
happy for longmuir think it was time for a new coach Lyon was stuck in his defensive coaching style hopefully they can get back to high scoring footy

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
I think it may prove informative that Bell, Carr and Longmuir were all part of the 2006 “rebellion” - the group of senior players who told Connolly he was overthinking it, the plans were needlessly complex and that he should let the players play more of their natural game.

I can’t remember how many we won in a row after that but I do remember having a hilariously good time at the footy.

When is the last time you had a genuinely good time at the footy?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it may prove informative that Bell, Carr and Longmuir were all part of the 2006 “rebellion” - the group of senior players who told Connolly he was overthinking it, the plans were needlessly complex and that he should let the players play more of their natural game.

I can’t remember how many we won in a row after that but I do remember having a hilariously good time at the footy.

Round One 2019 was pretty fun

Freo 2006
Loss, Win, Win, Loss, Win, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Loss, Loss.... then nine wins in a row.

15 Wins, 3rd on the ladder

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Aish only had praise for Longmuir and said he was a big factor in his request to join Fremantle

“I really respected and valued the way Justin coached and I think I could see myself having a role with him,” Aish said.

“As well as that, it was the look of the club and the list as well, I just saw the opportunity to develop my career, develop as a player and a person at Fremantle.”

Aish said that Longmuir had a great tactical mind.

“From a game plan point of view, he’s probably the best I’ve had,” Aish said.

“He’s really good at teaching what he wants to get across. With the Collingwood defensive group, I think positively changed these players by being there. He’s really effective as a teacher and he’s also big on the mental side of things.

“He wants to improve his players, just how to handle being a professional athlete and all the challenges that possesses as well.

“He’s going to build good relationships with people and coach in the most effective way possible.”

Longmuir the ‘best coach I’ve had’ http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-10-17/longmuir-the-best-coach-ive-had.mobileapp

This is what gets me going. New coach who is known for his teaching and getting the most out of players. A new coach whose known for his ability to game plan and has the success to back it up. A new coach who is so good a player who isn’t keen on coming here at first sees the potential and has jumped on board the purple train. Refreshing.

Hell. Yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This is what gets me going. New coach who is known for his teaching and getting the most out of players. A new coach whose known for his ability to game plan and has the success to back it up. A new coach who is so good a player who isn’t keen on coming here at first sees the potential and has jumped on board the purple train. Refreshing.

Hell. Yeah.

Kinda reminds me of Lyon and Zac Dawson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back