Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quote, “because so far he has not demonstrated that he should be a first choice KPP at either end” says otherwise. But you’ve never been one for saying what you mean, or meaning what you say.
You quoted something that reinforces that we are talking about whether he should be a swing man or a KPP.

78% disposal efficiency is over par. His pace for a big man is totally acceptable and his agility to go with that pace is very good. Bali may not be the place to judge from as on TV he does look slow, but he’s most definitely not.
I am happy for him to be in the 22. He can fill in a key defenders spot if either Hamling or Pearce is injured

Can definately play up forward as a CHF or on a flank.

78% disposal efficiency is over par. His pace for a big man is totally acceptable and his agility to go with that pace is very good. Bali may not be the place to judge from as on TV he does look slow, but he’s most definitely not.

From the club when Cox was drafted:
“His strengths are his impressive athleticism with his 2.97 second 20m speed, big leap, agility, sidestep and evasiveness.”

For comparison, Taberners draft notes:
“He tested outstandingly well across the board at the state combine: 3.02 20m, 14.5 beep and an 82cm vertical jump.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

The guy is 21 FFS.

Not many 20yo KPP are first choice. It may not look like it to you but he’s shown an enormous amount of potential so far, especially as a KPF but also as a back up ruck and is not useless down back either.

If he keeps progressing as he has, he’ll be a very, very good player at the very least.
Yup, if you can take contested marks in50 against men in your third game as an 18 year old (albeit against stk) you will be able to do a lot more when you're 25. Had an excellent patch mid 2018 and was poor at times last year after a significant hamstring strain ended prematurely a decent preseason series. he'll be good. J Lo supposedly has taken him under his wing according to some training posts...

Yup, if you can take contested marks in50 against men in your third game as an 18 year old (albeit against stk) you will be able to do a lot more when you're 25. Had an excellent patch mid 2018 and was poor at times last year after a significant hamstring strain ended prematurely a decent preseason series. he'll be good. J Lo supposedly has taken him under his wing according to some training posts...
He has the perfect opportunity to show what he is capable of in our current circumstances.

Cox was actually our first choice KPF for Rd 1 last year until he got injured. Tabs only got to play because he was injured.

The guy is only 20yo, has already kicked as many goals in a season as Tabs ever has (off less games as well) and has done that having to often play #1 KPF (not having Pav to draw the best defenders away) plus getting swung back to KPD at Peel to cover injuries etc.

I don't think he should be without criticism. He didn't seem to take his physical fitness as seriously as he probably should have up until the off season just gone.

As for impact on games I think people are being unfair for a guy so young.

I'm glad he's been training as a KPD as I watched him at u18s and he was exceptional at reading the play, intercepting and getting the ball into the hands of good ball users. He's deceptively quick and agile and a very good contested mark. He's also playing alongside his best mate Luke and possibly his other mate Taylin.

At the scratch match on Friday he tackled Fyfe in a forward pocket. Then Fyfe tackled him to the ground, rolled him and pretended to punch him and have a 'fight' with him. Bit of humour that told me a little bit more about both Fyfe and Cox and the group dynamic ;)

From the club when Cox was drafted:
“His strengths are his impressive athleticism with his 2.97 second 20m speed, big leap, agility, sidestep and evasiveness.”

For comparison, Taberners draft notes:
“He tested outstandingly well across the board at the state combine: 3.02 20m, 14.5 beep and an 82cm vertical jump.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Cox has all the tools required, it appears we have plenty in that boat, but development has always been hit and miss at Freo.
It wasn't The last coaches strength, and I'd argue that KP, rucks take more time.
JLo should help knowing what is required.
Don't think people should discount Cox pinch hitting in the ruck also, sure he won't win many taps but an asset in clearances and
natural reader.
Compared to Blakey's 20m sprint bio, it's funny to see him much maligned when others are yet to prove anything.
Our best development has come from our assistants, Scott, Harvey, Kirk, and I reckon Josh Carr is next in line.
As JLo has prioritised personal development is high on his list, with such a young group we are in good hands.
Alistair Clarkson had his detractors early on in his career, but that rebuild paid off in 08.

Cox has also played in the ruck, I'd rather him than Tabs pinch hitting.
We have some options in the key positions, but fitness always seems an issue?
Guys who should be in their prime, there are plenty still waiting for that game when they have
arrived.
JC is in great position as a premiership player, to lift the intensity to what is required, and I feel he will
make JLo a better coach, similar to what Sam Mitchell did at WC.
I had high hopes for Dixon when drafted, but so many of our players just seem happy being on an AFL list.
Come to think of it.....

If Darcy is injured, I dont mind Lobb Or meek Rucking.

Cox for some reason is a better pinch hit ruckman than Tabs.

I dont mind that. That means Tabs plays FF and is likely to be double teamed in the goal square while McCarthy and cox are both 192 cm blokes. Both can play as a CHF as a 2nd tall or a 3rd tall on a flank. Both blokes have been a difference makers in certain close games when they kick 3-4 goals.

It warms my heart to see the Rossy Posse have already started prepping their ' I told you so .... I was right all along ' posts before the new coach has even coached a game , I was a bit worried this board would become a boring bland place without the energising bitterness and acrimony of the RTB thread

Can you guys pick the odd one out ?

95ac692e343b0b1815f6bb5aa88860bd.jpg
8de5010f06183f71c842d8c5ee6518b7.jpg
de1bd3d6dd195630f843f48464429fb0.jpg
c04c434d104b4c9915c4f879749c4243.jpg
ba5eb69afe0e8e76a613a3c89895e3b7.jpg

It warms my heart to see the Rossy Posse have already started prepping their ' I told you so .... I was right all along ' posts before the new coach has even coached a game , I was a bit worried this board would become a boring bland place without the energising bitterness and acrimony of the RTB thread

Not sure anyone is saying I told you so, yet. Clearly there are those of us who think the club made a premature decision but to insinuate that the new coach isn't going to be given a go is silly.

If he is successful everyone will forget about how the Ross Lyon situation was handled and applaud the board for making the correct decision. If they have made the wrong decision and Longmuir fails for whatever reason of course those who disagree with the decision will kick up a stink.

Not sure anyone is saying I told you so, yet. Clearly there are those of us who think the club made a premature decision but to insinuate that the new coach isn't going to be given a go is silly.

If he is successful everyone will forget about how the Ross Lyon situation was handled and applaud the board for making the correct decision. If they have made the wrong decision and Longmuir fails for whatever reason of course those who disagree with the decision will kick up a stink.
Fair enough but it needs to be remembered there were actually 2 decisions - the decision to sack Ross and the decision to appoint JLo. If one turns out to be wrong that doesn’t necessarily mean the second one is wrong.

Happy to be proven wrong, but Cox is ridiculously overrated on this board. Seen someone post an article comparing him to Curnow (LOL!). Tabs is a far better player, though he is older and more experienced, so he should be better.

Fair enough but it needs to be remembered there were actually 2 decisions - the decision to sack Ross and the decision to appoint JLo. If one turns out to be wrong that doesn’t necessarily mean the second one is wrong.
Yes you are right. And regardless, the decisions are made and now we get to see how things pan out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to be proven wrong, but Cox is ridiculously overrated on this board. Seen someone post an article comparing him to Curnow (LOL!). Tabs is a far better player, though he is older and more experienced, so he should be better.
No people are just willing to give a KPP who is only 21 a chance to prove himself. You sing from the rafters about how good 26yo Tabs is and yet his best season in his entire career is just 18 goals. The same number that 'overrated' Cox achieved when he was just 19.

Personally I hope both have great 2020 seasons - we need them to. Tabs is an athlete with a very limited footy brain. Cox has an incredibly good footy brain and is building his athleticism. Cox has time on his side, Tabs doesn't. Crossing fingers for both of them.

Agree with that, however in my eyes regardless as to whether or not sacking Ross Lyon was the right decision, the most important factor for me is that they have appointed the right man in our head coach. They sacked a coach with 12 months to run after being in the 8 at round 14 (ish?) and being hit with another horror injury run that the club STILL doesn't appear to have addressed.

If Longmuir turns out to be a premiership coach (or at least challenge for a flag ie. multiple prelims) then great, no issues. But statistically it is more likely that he will be the next Alan Richardson rather than the next Alistair Clarkson. I certainly hope Longmuir succeeds where Lyon failed and he finishes off the rebuild that the club committed to during the 2016 season.

I will certainly be supporting him and the club throughout this process even if I am not sold on him as a coach. I don't think anyone should be, he has had half a pre-season and 0 AFL games to prove his worth. Plenty of Freo supporters will be pissed off if it goes full Scott Watters and we implode over the next 2 years (which I doubt will happen).

No people are just willing to give a KPP who is only 21 a chance to prove himself. You sing from the rafters about how good 26yo Tabs is and yet his best season in his entire career is just 18 goals. The same number that 'overrated' Cox achieved when he was just 19.

Personally I hope both have great 2020 seasons - we need them to. Tabs is an athlete with a very limited footy brain. Cox has an incredibly good footy brain and is building his athleticism. Cox has time on his side, Tabs doesn't. Crossing fingers for both of them.
Really? I actually you have to explain the importance of contested marks? Do you base all forwards based on goal tallies? Quite silly. Anyone who watched freo could see our gameplan going forward was kick it to Pav at all costs. Tabs was a slow burn, like most forwards are. Now he is an extremely valuable player.

Tabs is a whipping boy on here, yet has proven to be one of the best contested marks in the comp. Cox has played a few good games, that is it. Cox is like Blakely on this board, showed a bit early, does nothing, but everyone remembers that one good game from a long time ago, so they're convinced there guns. Cox 2019 season was disappointing, which isn't the end of the world given his age, but realistically hes our fourth best forward and fourth best defender.

Really? I actually you have to explain the importance of contested marks? Do you base all forwards based on goal tallies? Quite silly. Anyone who watched freo could see our gameplan going forward was kick it to Pav at all costs. Tabs was a slow burn, like most forwards are. Now he is an extremely valuable player.

Tabs is a whipping boy on here, yet has proven to be one of the best contested marks in the comp. Cox has played a few good games, that is it. Cox is like Blakely on this board, showed a bit early, does nothing, but everyone remembers that one good game from a long time ago, so they're convinced there guns. Cox 2019 season was disappointing, which isn't the end of the world given his age, but realistically hes our fourth best forward and fourth best defender.
I've heard the AFL are considering forgetting about goals and instead using the contested marks total for each team to determine who won a game :p

I'm not anti-Tabs I just think hiding behind "but he's good at contested marks" as if it trumps everything else doesn't help having a mature conversation about our KPPs. Scoring and creating goals is still the most important role of a forward. Only 1 player in the top 15 highest average contested marks in 2019 played for a top 4 team last year. I think you might be blinded about the importance of contested marks. Cox was our 4th best contested marker last year and he was top 20 for AFL contested marks in 2018 - so he's no slouch in that department either. And Tabs has had 5 years more development been put into him. Both are talked about in regard to potential and not reality.

Tabs won't be seen as an above average key forward until he starts hitting the scoreboard. Contested marks alone is not going to cut it. I think you should be able to get behind him and be optimistic about him but I think it is hypocritical not to let people do the same with Cox.

I've heard the AFL are considering forgetting about goals and instead using the contested marks total for each team to determine who won a game :p

I'm not anti-Tabs I just think hiding behind "but he's good at contested marks" as if it trumps everything else doesn't help having a mature conversation about our KPPs. Scoring and creating goals is still the most important role of a forward. Only 1 player in the top 15 highest average contested marks in 2019 played for a top 4 team last year. I think you might be blinded about the importance of contested marks. Cox was our 4th best contested marker last year and he was top 20 for AFL contested marks in 2018 - so he's no slouch in that department either. And Tabs has had 5 years more development been put into him. Both are talked about in regard to potential and not reality.

Tabs won't be seen as an above average key forward until he starts hitting the scoreboard. Contested marks alone is not going to cut it. I think you should be able to get behind him and be optimistic about him but I think it is hypocritical not to let people do the same with Cox.
Tabs takes a contested mark up the field, which starts a play that results in a goal. Tabs didn't kick that goal, so therefore no credit? K.

Tabs is regarded as a damn good player by ex footy players, but not on bigfooty and we all know this board is a popularity contest.

I've heard people watch footy with eyes and not stats.

Kicking goals is important, no denying that, but so is setting up goals, providing an option, taking marks, bringing the ball to ground. Tabs, Lobb and Hogan are very important to our team.

If Cox doesn't improve he looks like being a poor mans Mitch McGovern. Good when hes good, shocking when hes bad, questions over there effort and consistency.

That's the thing though , how can you separate where Lyons influence ends and Longmuirs begins ?

If we do well you could argue Lyon did a good job on the rebuild and would have done just as well as Jlo if he kept the reigns

If we go badly how much is Jlo's fault compared to all the play the kids / lack of development / improve skills and scoring criticisms of the Lyon years

If Lyon goes to another club and does well and we don't then you could maybe say it was a bad decision but even then it's not cut and dried because he probably goes to a developed team that suits his style

I was strongly in the sack him camp but if we do well in the next couple of years even I can see I was probably wrong about him re development etc etc

Tabs takes a contested mark up the field, which starts a play that results in a goal. Tabs didn't kick that goal, so therefore no credit? K.
Tabs is regarded as a damn good player by ex footy players, but not on bigfooty and we all know this board is a popularity contest.
I've heard people watch footy with eyes and not stats.
Kicking goals is important, no denying that, but so is setting up goals, providing an option, taking marks, bringing the ball to ground. Tabs, Lobb and Hogan are very important to our team.

If Cox doesn't improve he looks like being a poor mans Mitch McGovern. Good when hes good, shocking when hes bad, questions over there effort and consistency.

You just very much described a 23yo Taberner. Let's give Cox a year or two eh? He's already well ahead of Tabs at the same age, but you're right, there are parts to his game that need improvement. Let's hope he can do it.

Cox has shown to be a freak at times how he can collect the ball off the ground at pace and reads the flight of the ball and marks well. Cox just need to work on his bodywork and his intensity which I feel both aren’t talent-based traits and he’ll get there. I feel Cox’s upside is huge and will be a more mobile Hooker type if he keeps improving.

I have always liked Tabs and feel he could get 50 goals if everything goes his way. Hopefully this is the season that everything clicks.

Both these two players are keys to us improving as a team imo.

That's the thing though , how can you separate where Lyons influence ends and Longmuirs begins ?

If we do well you could argue Lyon did a good job on the rebuild and would have done just as well as Jlo if he kept the reigns

If we go badly how much is Jlo's fault compared to all the play the kids / lack of development / improve skills and scoring criticisms of the Lyon years

If Lyon goes to another club and does well and we don't then you could maybe say it was a bad decision but even then it's not cut and dried because he probably goes to a developed team that suits his style

I was strongly in the sack him camp but if we do well in the next couple of years even I can see I was probably wrong about him re development etc etc

It's a complicated discussion point. Anyone claiming that any success Longmuir has is purely due to Lyon is an idiot, just like anyone claiming that if Longmuir fails it is because of Lyon.

Not sure anyone can accuse Ross Lyon of not playing the kids in his final years, we now have the 2nd youngest list in the league, we definitely went the youth path and cut the list pretty deep while trying to trade / recruit a spine in Hamling / Hogan / Lobb which has yet to reap the results it should have.

Probably going down the rabbit hole here a bit, I think the initial discussion point was around people who disagreed with the initial decision giving Longmuir a chance, I definitely believe the ENTIRE supporter base will back him in. With the age profile of the list he probably has 2-3 years of poor results protection (unless he goes full Scott Watters...... ) before he gets any real pressure.

I remember 2012 pretty well and the first half of the season was pretty tough but you could see what they were trying to achieve. Longmuir probably has this entire year to bed things away without coping too much criticism. I have noticed there is a lot of positive reports from training, we have had similar from the last couple of years, hopefully 2020 isn't another false dawn.

I always got the impression the reason Lyon was sacked was more to do with behind the scenes stuff, and far less to do with wins and losses. Politically, they're unlikely to go into the detail of all the behind the scenes stuff, so the reason given to the media is wins and losses. I don't have any facts, and I'd prefer not to speculate, but there was talk that the club was not that pleasant a place to be. Esprit de corps is just as important as disposal efficiency IMHO.

I love quizzes.

Is the answer Ross was the only coach that had a CEO resign in protest over his sacking?

Only coach sacked that took their club to a grand final?

Just in case you're lumping me in with this 'Rossy posse', I hope that Justin is a huge success and ultimately just want to watch Freo win games of football. I don't think he has been set up to succeed though, because I think our list does not have enough mature talent to make finals. Everyone on this board that complains we hit a wall in the second half of the season doesn't get the maths that that's because we have too many speculative reaches on our list that aren't actually good enough.

If anything, I'm not a fan of Bell and Alcock because I think their egos make them blind to merit.

As much as you think Cox is over rated I think Charlie Curnow is over rated.
Personally I think because Curnow looks like Kouta and plays for Carlton he's seen as the next mesiah, he aint.
I'd rather Cox in my team than Curnow, even on potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back