Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This latest sliding doors quote got me thinking.

IF ...
purple is the dominant colour of this club ...

THEN ...
it could be beige. Not saying that as a criticism, simply as an observation on how it is being run since Justin Longmuir took over as coach. There has been a very conscious strategy to remove all obvious problem people and issues, the exiting of Hogan for very little return the latest evidence. Had a really good 2020, well positioned for a better 2021.

We are most probably seen in US sporting team terms as a "small market" team. Structurally we will be up against it as far as exposure, marketing revenue, big market games, ability to attract free agents etc... Trying to do things just like the bigger teams may not work because structurally we are going to be up against it.

As a comparison, the best small market team in the NBA is imo the San Antonio Spurs and what they did was create their own identity and keep it pretty lo-fi/simple. Their tops aren't beige but they are grey. Fairly no frills and even at their pinnacle they had very humble stars like Duncan and Robinson. Team first, play your role, be humble BUT still be yourself and celebrate differences. Pop celebrated NAIDOC Week with the team for Patty Mills for example.

I think that this is where we are going as a team. Use what you've got, do the simple stuff well, be clear about who you are etc... No flashy trades this year and if you don't fit the mould but it's time to move on. Of course i could be terribly wrong and he just might be a bland country boy with not enough media training but I think Longmuir does have a clear plan.
Pop is one of if not the best coach of all time. So it will take an amazing effort from JLo to get to Pop level but I agree with your sentiment. We don’t need to be special, we just need to be consistent with the plan. Unfortunately I think we are more Clippers than Spurs, but happy to be proven wrong.

This latest sliding doors quote got me thinking.

IF ...
purple is the dominant colour of this club ...

THEN ...
it could be beige. Not saying that as a criticism, simply as an observation on how it is being run since Justin Longmuir took over as coach. There has been a very conscious strategy to remove all obvious problem people and issues, the exiting of Hogan for very little return the latest evidence. Had a really good 2020, well positioned for a better 2021.

We are most probably seen in US sporting team terms as a "small market" team. Structurally we will be up against it as far as exposure, marketing revenue, big market games, ability to attract free agents etc... Trying to do things just like the bigger teams may not work because structurally we are going to be up against it.

As a comparison, the best small market team in the NBA is imo the San Antonio Spurs and what they did was create their own identity and keep it pretty lo-fi/simple. Their tops aren't beige but they are grey. Fairly no frills and even at their pinnacle they had very humble stars like Duncan and Robinson. Team first, play your role, be humble BUT still be yourself and celebrate differences. Pop celebrated NAIDOC Week with the team for Patty Mills for example.

I think that this is where we are going as a team. Use what you've got, do the simple stuff well, be clear about who you are etc... No flashy trades this year and if you don't fit the mould but it's time to move on. Of course i could be terribly wrong and he just might be a bland country boy with not enough media training but I think Longmuir does have a clear plan.

Why small market ? We are middle of the pack in just about everything except the important 1

Results

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Pop is one of if not the best coach of all time. So it will take an amazing effort from JLo to get to Pop level but I agree with your sentiment. We don’t need to be special, we just need to be consistent with the plan. Unfortunately I think we are more Clippers than Spurs, but happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I agree. Pop is an all time great so it's not a direct comparison. You're right that we are closer to the Clippers or worse still the Sacramento Kings. The Spurs weren't to dissimilar before Pop arrived though. They had never won a title before 1999 and joined the NBA in 1976.

Why small market ? We are middle of the pack in just about everything except the important 1

Results

Results yes, but also competition in our state and history of winning. The Sacramento Kings are unlikely to ever be as popular as the LA Lakers even though they are in the state of California. Unfortunately the Eagles are likely to be the most popular team in WA.

We also are also "small market" team because of marketing revenue. television drawing power and the potential for players to get endorsements. Our teams history is not enough to draw the top end dollars. For this reason as well key player signings usually see us pay too much to get the person here.

It doesn't mean we concede anything though but it does mean we need to be more efficient with what we've got. We can't be too conservative but as a "small market" team we can't afford to have major stuff ups. There's unlikely to be a top player in the league free agent to bail us out or to fast track a rebuild. Play the percentages and build a vision and culture that's sustainable. No shortcuts.

This looks to be the Longmuir way even as far as gameplan goes.

Last edited:

Results

People have a myth that Fremantle is small.

It usually comes from comparing with West Coast and that Perth isn't a big city. The punters fails to understand that Perth has only 2 teams in a city that is 2 million vs 9 teams in Melbourne with a population of 5 million.

When you look at budgets, crowds and that we have second highest memberships dollars in the AFL, we are not small.

It usually comes from comparing with West Coast and that Perth isn't a big city. The punters fails to understand that Perth has only 2 teams in a city that is 2 million vs 9 teams in Melbourne with a population of 5 million.

When you look at budgets, crowds and that we have second highest memberships dollars in the AFL, we are not small.
Things can change quickly though, win a GF and the flood gates will be open. Plenty of Aussies nation wide have
a soft spot for us, not so much for the dirty birds.

Unfortunately I think we are more Clippers than Spurs, but happy to be proven wrong.
great now i’m going to be thinking of this next time I see Paul George jokes
Yeah, I agree. Pop is an all time great so it's not a direct comparison. You're right that we are closer to the Clippers or worse still the Sacramento Kings. The Spurs weren't to dissimilar before Pop arrived though. They had never won a title before 1999 and joined the NBA in 1976.
i reckon you could also compare us to pre-2014 Golden State as well, a team that usually disappoints, long-suffering loyal fan base who have some memorable moments and players before falling short.

After seeing the PR mess made by Collingwood during this trade period I'm appreciating more and more that we seem to be in safe hands with JLo. He just has a calm and steady demeanour about him with consistent and clear messaging. That's the sort of boss I'd want to work for.

The way the club handled the Hogan exit was calm and measured compared to Collingwood (and Essendon for that matter) practically running public character assassinations on their players.

After seeing the PR mess made by Collingwood during this trade period I'm appreciating more and more that we seem to be in safe hands with JLo. He just has a calm and steady demeanour about him with consistent and clear messaging. That's the sort of boss I'd want to work for.

The way the club handled the Hogan exit was calm and measured compared to Collingwood (and Essendon for that matter) practically running public character assassinations on their players.
I get the feeling what we know about Hogan is not quite the tip of the iceberg, but about half way down it.

With his mental illness history the club has been very professional in not allowing all the info to come out, but has just moved him on swiftly. I actually think the media has withheld some of the details for Hogans own health as well.

It’s only dickheads like Hardie & Crumpets who are trying to destroy him & us by association.

It’s the complete opposite to the Collingwood situation where it has been handled so poorly. We have a player in Hogan who is apologetic to the club & supporters for his performances & behaviour, with Collingwood players showing restrained disappointment & anger about their former club.

I love the way JLo is coaching & influencing the whole club.

Unfortunately we have more fingers in our pie here because of it. The government doesn't mind throwing money at a stadium because they get lease fees, the WAFC takes a cut and if we are playing in prime TV spots making lots of money the AFL takes a cut too.

Eventually someone at WCE will figure out they can buy their license from the WAFC for $100,000,000 and Freo will be well and truly stuffed when that money is gone in 10 years but their expectations are remaining.

The AFL owns Docklands stadium now, even though it's on the hock for $500,000,000. They can look after their low number attending clubs to make 20,000 showing up profitable for the host club. I don't think we make enough from receipts to cover the cost of hosting the game until we are closer to double that.

Long story short, yes we make a lot more money but the cost of living here is higher too.

I get the feeling what we know about Hogan is not quite the tip of the iceberg, but about half way down it.

With his mental illness history the club has been very professional in not allowing all the info to come out, but has just moved him on swiftly. I actually think the media has withheld some of the details for Hogans own health as well.

It’s only dickheads like Hardie & Crumpets who are trying to destroy him & us by association.

It’s the complete opposite to the Collingwood situation where it has been handled so poorly. We have a player in Hogan who is apologetic to the club & supporters for his performances & behaviour, with Collingwood players showing restrained disappointment & anger about their former club.

I love the way JLo is coaching & influencing the whole club.
Yep. That’s the feeling I got when the club decided to move Jesse on. I reckon the club and his management have had a chat and come to the conclusion that sooner or later certain information is going to leak and it’s best for himself and the FFC that he gets himself a new gig and settle in somewhere before his reputation and future is irreversibly damaged .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see David Noble is down to the last few being interviewed for the North Melbourne job.

I really rate him. Did he ever get interviewed for our Senior Coaching job? (Not that I’m complaining about JLo)

A reflection of their president.

I am satisfied and confident J-Lo will lead us to success. He looks like he has the right technical nous and management skills as well.

This has probably already been discussed but was J-Lo assistant coach at collingwood in 2018-2019. There 2 best years under buckley i reckon there is a bit of merit to that.

Now look there a basketcase atm

I am satisfied and confident J-Lo will lead us to success. He looks like he has the right technical nous and management skills as well.

This has probably already been discussed but was J-Lo assistant coach at collingwood in 2018-2019. There 2 best years under buckley i reckon there is a bit of merit to that.

Now look there a basketcase atm
Like When we had Chris Scott as an assistant Harvey.

Aisha is good, but he ain’t in the Top 5 at Freo, no way.
Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw, Ryan, Taberner

Maybe not but he’s performing at a high level in the tier under which is exactly what we need.
Consistent quality across the team rather than a handful of stars & a bunch of foot soldiers relying on effort & pressure to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever I hear snippets of Jlo speaking to the group, I just don’t get this feeling he is a leader? I want him to be successful so badly. I want to believe he is an inspirational leader of men behind closed doors.
Look at the great coaches, the premiership ones. They have an aura. They exude control, command respect. The players respect them but are also scared of them. Blight, Sheedy, Matthews, more recently Clarkson, Hardwick, even Beveridge. Ross Lyon was a man that players were scared of. Jlo could be a great tactician. Could be a very empathetic coach - putting the arm around guys to build confidence etc etc.
that’s fine. But if he can’t also scare the living daylights out of them to inspire them and harden them up then he will never be a success.

Whenever I hear snippets of Jlo speaking to the group, I just don’t get this feeling he is a leader? I want him to be successful so badly. I want to believe he is an inspirational leader of men behind closed doors.
Look at the great coaches, the premiership ones. They have an aura. They exude control, command respect. The players respect them but are also scared of them. Blight, Sheedy, Matthews, more recently Clarkson, Hardwick, even Beveridge. Ross Lyon was a man that players were scared of. Jlo could be a great tactician. Could be a very empathetic coach - putting the arm around guys to build confidence etc etc.
that’s fine. But if he can’t also scare the living daylights out of them to inspire them and harden them up then he will never be a success.

The great coaches only have an aura once they have achieved. The days of sprays are gone, at least in a regular level, coaches would give 1-2 a season rather than 1 each week like in the old days.

Tbf the "aura" often comes with/after tangible success. Harwick pre 2017 was less than impressive and never exuded "premiership coach". I'm sure plenty of Richmond fans wanted his head in 15/16. Then it clicked and the rest is history.

Ditto the Dogs under Beveridge who have only been above average at best for his tenure aside from their miraculous run in 2016 (not to undercut that achievement in the slightest).

On the other side of the coin, Clarko sounds a lot less godlike trying to explain away a 10 goal defeat versus a Prelim final win. Again, taking no glean off an incredible coaching career, but success breeds confidence as much as confidence breeds success.

Really don't see any reason to re-sign him at this stage.
Always think that players, and coaches go best when they are in their last year of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back