Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure he wanted Hogan in the first place

I seem to remember him copping a fair bit of abuse on here when he announced we wanted to back out after doing our due diligence.

I wonder how much overlap there is with people who are now abusing him because the trade went through.

With Hale going we’ll hopefully bring in an experienced coach for the forwards. Our other coaches are still fairly green and I agree that a mature head would make us better. No idea who that could be though.

I seem to remember him copping a fair bit of abuse on here when he announced we wanted to back out after doing our due diligence.

I wonder how much overlap there is with people who are now abusing him because the trade went through.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

I don’t think much of it sticks to Belly. I reckon a bit sticks to Rosich and Ross.

I agree with the (more balanced) arguments from both sides on here.

JLo has clearly been able to implement his style on the team and there's been a rapid and significant change in the way we play. I think the speed of our ball movement and particularly our ability to hit our forwards has improved dramatically in a short time compared to our last few years under Lyon. I don't think a poor coach can make an impact like that.

But there's still question marks over his ability to motivate the team and inspire the consistent hardness needed to take the next step. How much of that is coach-dependant and how much is the natural inconsistency characteristic of young, developing teams remains to be seen.

Really good take.

There have definitely been some signs of better ball movement and transition from defense to attack. That screen grab floating around from one of the fox footy shows showing our statistical improvement (I can already seen Tony and a few other posters rolling their eyes) in the offensive side of our game was telling. Unfortunately our lack of forward line talent/constant injuries have probably significantly hampered our ability to capitalize and score more heavily. It's also equally unfortunate that you can't really argue against the team being labelled as soft atm. He's going ok but is facing a pivotal season next year.

All up though, as annoyed as I am with today's game, it's still perplexing to see a line being put through Longmuir's name after less than 2 seasons in charge as coach. I know it's a short term, results-driven industry but we gain nothing from sacking a coach without giving him a proper run at it.

just because Belly was a good player(and captain) doesnt mean he is a good football manager , sorry but sice he has taken over from Bond i cant see any real improvement in recruiting or player management We might have made a poor choice and thinking about where is the Leadership from the President or CEO ( think his main aim is to keep in good with Victorian AFL, can you name one instance when he has rocked the boat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only issues with JLo at the moment are our softness (and lets be honest, the club's been soft it's entire existence apart from a 3 year period 2012-14) and pressure when we don't have the ball. Some statements at the selection table wouldn't go astray, but jeez the cupboard is pretty bare even when not cursed by injury.

just because Belly was a good player(and captain) doesnt mean he is a good football manager , sorry but sice he has taken over from Bond i cant see any real improvement in recruiting or player management We might have made a poor choice and thinking about where is the Leadership from the President or CEO ( think his main aim is to keep in good with Victorian AFL, can you name one instance when he has rocked the boat
My slant on things is that a premiership year does not mean that management is great the decisions that lead to that success may have taken place several seasons before. The actual management may actually be very average when the actual ultimate prize is achieved .And the incumbent administration takes the credit . The 2006 administration of the premiership club should be held as a case in point .
With many issues being glossed over to allow the best midfield in the comp to largely go about and do whatever they pleased , Which was very poor management , But the results are all that matters .

I did the ladder predictor and found a way where we lose our last 4 and finish 15th on percentage behind the Gold Coast Suns.
Who cares?I am over it.i look at our list and I see too many players who lack basic skills Tucker FFS a simple pass under no pressure drops it FFS!!!!
I was a fan of this kid , loved his attitude but has gone backwards .

Who cares?I am over it.i look at our list and I see too many players who lack basic skills Tucker FFS a simple pass under no pressure drops it FFS!!!!
I was a fan of this kid , loved his attitude but has gone backwards .

It's been a failed rebuild over the last 5 years.

North finished 9th in 2018, cellar dwellars the next 2 but now improving out of sight. Took Sydney 2 years. Adelaide won't stay down long either. Essendon had a mini rebuild.

Clubs like us eg; Gold Coast, Stkilda...takes a bit longer. We need better decision makers at the club.

North finished 9th in 2018, cellar dwellars the next 2 but now improving out of sight. Took Sydney 2 years. Adelaide won't stay down long either. Essendon had a mini rebuild.

Clubs like us eg; Gold Coast, Stkilda...takes a bit longer. We need better decision makers at the club.
I'm all for having some resignation to still being **** but take a closer look at North, Adelaide and the Bombers properly to see they are not as amazing as you think.

North was older and more experienced than us on the weekend. Their spike in form matches up nicely with getting senior players back (9 over 100 games on the weekend - we had 6 for comparison).

Essendon's rebuild started about 8 years ago. They lost three players (of which only 1 regularly played in the last 2 years) and with largely the same team, did about what they have done for the last 5 years - finish in or on the fringes of the 8.

Adelaide, show no evidence of shooting up and they are being carried by their experienced players (Tex, Laird etc). They have also been **** since about when we beat them.

This **** takes time unless you get some sort of concession. We are never getting any of those.

I'm not happy with where the team is at but I do think perspective is going out the window a bit.

North and Adelaide are still very average.

September 4, 2004. The last time Essendon won a final. Very recently they had Saad and Fantasia leave. Even after all the positive press they have won the same amount of games this year as us.

If that's a mini rebuild...

For me from a coaching point of view im concerned that the following is not only not improving but getting worse:
1. Goal kicking
2. Tackling
3. Pressure from mids and forwards.

It's so concerning for me I wouldn't re-sign Longmuir at all. Give him next season to improve or it's time to move on.

I put fumbling down to lack of confidence and don't believe general skill errors are too bad for a younger side. These bits will come. We're so far off in the other above aspects I'm not sure natural improvement will be enough.

For me from a coaching point of view im concerned that the following is not only not improving but getting worse:
1. Goal kicking
2. Tackling
3. Pressure from mids and forwards.

It's so concerning for me I wouldn't re-sign Longmuir at all. Give him next season to improve or it's time to move on.

I put fumbling down to lack of confidence and don't believe general skill errors are too bad for a younger side. These bits will come. We're so far off in the other above aspects I'm not sure natural improvement will be enough.

The only legitimate thing to be scared about there is goal kicking, also forward pressure needs work a bit.

Tackling I think is intentional as we seemed to be very solid defensively last year (although I haven't looked up tackle numbers) it is adopting a eagles/hawks style of possession and zoning with applying closing down space to pressure rather than tackles to get turn overs, it is a bit out of balance atm though.

The biggest issue is still missing targets and fumbles, we either don't have the cattle or the group hasn't quite got that connection yet. It's nice to see connection between the young players is good, usually the c grade filler players are the culprits.

The only legitimate thing to be scared about there is goal kicking, also forward pressure needs work a bit.

Tackling I think is intentional as we seemed to be very solid defensively last year (although I haven't looked up tackle numbers) it is adopting a eagles/hawks style of possession and zoning with applying closing down space to pressure rather than tackles to get turn overs, it is a bit out of balance atm though.

The biggest issue is still missing targets and fumbles, we either don't have the cattle or the group hasn't quite got that connection yet. It's nice to see connection between the young players is good, usually the c grade filler players are the culprits.
We're 18th in the comp for tackling. If that doesn't concern you I don't know what will.

And yes I accept Longmuir is focusing more on other aspects but we can't just accept being that sh**e at a very important aspect of the game.

A broken tackle is a scoring shot to opposition almost every time.

Some pretty harsh critics on here. I was a big RTB fan and I was furious when he was sacked but I let it go and got behind Longmiur.
I'm not 100% convinced yet but I can see where he is trying to take us.
For me he gets a free pass for last year, with the covid restrictions he didn't have enough access to the playing group to teach them his GP not to mention how tough that environment must have been for a first year coach.
So for me this is his first real full year so I'm going to cut him some slack.

I am curious about the lack of pressure and tackles. We do it... dare I say it... almost West Coast like. JL used to coach there so I don't think this is a coincidence.

They get/got away with it because they had excellent interceptors and a stupidly efficient forwardline that marked everything meaning forward pressure was not essential like it is in most other teams. Our forwardline is nothing compared to theirs at the peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back