Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps talking about Sturt like he will be a generational forward for us.

He has been ruined by injury so far. Whatever his ceiling may have been projected to be, it's much lower now.

I'd say his ceiling is not that different but his floor is lower. He's still a 'could be anything' proposition but he's less likely to get to that ceiling.

Lyon liked to get out of the blocks early. Then almost limp home.
It would be nice to actually finish a year strongly.
In most seasons I agree.

But in the 2013 season I disagree. Freo started strong, had injuries to key players mid season then finished the season strongly.

Freo got injuries but it was in a section of the ground Freo had depth: in the ruck division.

I still remember it like yesterday.

Sandilands missed 14 weeks with a toe injury. Clarke missed the 1st 4 or 5 weeks with that injury in the big day out music festival in the pre season.

So Jono Griffin and Jack Hannath carried the ruck from rounds 1-4. Clarke came back so rounds 5-7 l, Griffin and Clarke were our main rucks.

Then Jono Griffin did his knee when he was in All Australian form.

Then from rounds 8-14, Clarke and Hannath were our main rucks.

When Sandilands returned, Sandilands and Clarke were our main rucks from rounds 15 to the grand final.

Also From 2012-15, Luke McPharlin played one finals series with Freo, yep It was the year we made it.

Griff in all Australian form eh? Not bad for a bloke that from memory never polled a Brownlow vote once in his career.

Edit I stand corrected, I just checked, he polled four in his career

Clarke missed the 1st 4 or 5 weeks with that injury in the big day out music festival in the pre season
That was in the off-season following the GF. I think across the first seven rounds of 2013, Clarke was simply third in line. Out of favour with Lyon, I'd imagine given the "Time for you to step up" line Lyon reportedly threw Clarke's way in the player's race after Griffin went down.

2013 we were also v lucky to have GWS and Melbourne in the final four rounds (they only won 3 games for the year BETWEEN THEM). They were both v easy victories. Then we had Port at home - then we rested most of our squad versus the Saints away. The 2013 season fixture was v favourable for us at the back end of the year.

The boys were cherry ripe for Geelong and the rest is history.

In most seasons I agree.

But in the 2013 season I disagree. Freo started strong, had injuries to key players mid season then finished the season strongly.

Freo got injuries but it was in a section of the ground Freo had depth: in the ruck division.

Sandilands missed 14 weeks with a toe injury. Clarke missed the 1st 4 or 5 weeks with that injury in the big day out music festival in the pre season.

So Jono Griffin and Jack Hannath carried the ruck from rounds 1-4. Clarke came back so rounds 5-7 l, Griffin and Clarke were our main rucks.

When Sandilands returned, Sandilands and Clarke were our main rucks from rounds 15 to the grand final.

Also From 2012-15, Luke McPharlin played one finals series with Freo, yep It was the year we made it.

A fit mcpharlin and even Johnson in those finals series was massive. IIRC Ibbo missed a couple of key finals as well.

2013 we were also v lucky to have GWS and Melbourne in the final four rounds (they only won 3 games for the year BETWEEN THEM). They were both v easy victories. Then we had Port at home - then we rested most of our squad versus the Saints away. The 2013 season fixture was v favourable for us at the back end of the year.

The boys were cherry ripe for Geelong and the rest is history.

There were some key games mid season freo had to win....

I look at both the crows games we had. Crows in 2012 beat freo 3 times. In 2013, I still remember both the scorelines of both games.

Freo beat the crows at Footy park 10.6.66 to 8.11.59.

Then Freo beat the crows in Subiaco late in the season. Freo won 11.9.75 to crows 7.11.53. I still remember that game for some strange reason, Fyfe booted 4 goals that day and got 28-30 disposals.

Griff in all Australian form eh? Not bad for a bloke that from memory never polled a Brownlow vote once in his career.

Edit I stand corrected, I just checked, he polled four in his career

I know it sounds strange to say that. Jono Griffin was never the most talented ruckman in the comp. But there were times he played beyond the call of duty when freo were good.

In most seasons I agree.

Then Jono Griffin did his knee when he was in All Australian form

What about Pavlich. He was out for most of the 2013 season - and the forward line wasn't a place where we had depth. He couldn't get a touch in the Essendon game and a few days later we were told he'd been carrying an injury and would be out for half of the season. When Pav eventually came back he played in a derby in first or 2nd week and got suspended for another 3 weeks for running into Mitch Brown.

Also with the ruck situation we had Kepler as back up/forward was playing as well early in the season but did his knee a couple of weeks before Griffin. Hannath came in to replace Kepler.

Another thing that is probably forgotten is how terrible Sandilands looked and played when he came back from injury in 2013 and then was injured again and played a week before the finals when he put on the helmet (which he also wore in the final against Geelong). There were serious doubts about whether you could pick him for a finals in the form he had shown.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at Freos fixture......

Freo gotta start strong. Hoping we have a healthy list for most of the season. Hoping Freo play finals in 2022.

If Freo don't make finals, I see Justin Longmuir get sacked. He will definately get sacked if Freo finish bottom 6 in 2022.

But if Freo make finals and possibly win a final in 2022, I can see Justin Longmuir get a 2, possibly even a 3 year extension.

I have previously predicted he would last at Freo between 5-7 years

Freo gotta start strong. Hoping we have a healthy list for most of the season. Hoping Freo play finals in 2022.

If Freo don't make finals, I see Justin Longmuir get sacked. He will definately get sacked if Freo finish bottom 6 in 2022.

But if Freo make finals and possibly win a final in 2022, I can see Justin Longmuir get a 2, possibly even a 3 year extension.

You cray.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doubt it.

Why?
The last coach was sacked two years ago for not making finals.
If JLo three years later still hasn't, logic says he has to go.
Or the board that sacked the last coach has to, one or the other.
Yep Ross Lyon was sacked as Freo didn't make finals for 4 years in a row. We then got Longmuir.

Longmuir has coached us in 2020 or 2021. We don't make finals in 2022, then that's 7 years of no finals

Surely only injuries keep us out of finals?

JLo's got the cattle, and I think he coached us well enough to make finals last year - we missed out due to losing a few very winnable games, and channeling Stevie Wonder in front of the sticks. Fix just one of those and we're in.

Oir fixture list is ok - I'll be disappointed if we don't double up on the Eagles, and at least split with Carlton.

We stay healthy and I'm feeling bullish, and not in my usual unrealistic Freo offseason way.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep Ross Lyon was sacked as Freo didn't make finals for 4 years in a row. We then got Longmuir.

Longmuir has coached us in 2020 or 2021. We don't make finals in 2022, then that's 7 years of no finals
If we are close or show signs of improvement then a one year deal should be on the table.
I think we have the tools to be competitive in time, a one year deal doesn’t break the bank, and is amicable to both parties.

In most seasons I agree.

The plan was to have McPharlin cherry ripe for finals and he did his calf at training if I recall correctly and missed the finals. A bloody good player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back