Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH I found most of the Pies game hard to watch. The last 5 minutes seemed to rub in the fact that somthing was desperately missing for the previous 3.75 quarters of footy. Why was it so different? Why do we struggle so badly to kick goals if we have that sort of mojo hidden under the bonnet? I don't consider myself to have a great footy brain but it seems to me like there should be something more attacking that is sustainable for most of a game. At home against a very depleted Collingwood we were favourites and should have won comfortably. This week is a crucial game, it's about time JLo showed the AFL our final five minutes were not a flash in the pan.

Um what game were you watching for most of the first half?

Um what game were you watching for most of the first half?
Um, the Freo vs Pies, Optus, Friday night. Apart from a 3 goal burst in 5 minutes (16m-21m 2nd Q) we kicked 3 goals in 3.5 quarters of football. Does that ring any bells? That's a lot of watching without your team getting a goal.

I'm coming into bat for Justin. Not that he needs nor probably cares individually for my help! :tearsofjoy:

I acknowledge things are far from perfect (what in life ever is..!?), well except maybe Curt Hennig, but he was also mortal, like the rest of us... and the "handball happy" stuff is overkill. I think even Justin knows this. ANDDDDDDDD we can't score, our ragtag forward line isn't up to scratch, Walters is over the hill (probably) and...yadayadayada!

But guess what, so is the criticism of him and his coaching and the excessive almost...cry-baby stuff over not being successful and in finals. For a start Justin had to manage his newly appointed team in his first ever outing during unprecedented weirdness called COVID and whilst he spent time in the hubble bubble toil and trouble galvanising his playing group and getting to know them and implementing defensive strategies and whatnots, West Coke off just a 2 year Premiership-previous victory were moaning like kids without i-pads in McDonalds scolded by world-weary parents! In many ways this paved the way for their current 'decline'. 2021 was better but he still had to go with the flow of fluctuations whilst the world adapted. With still a very young team at the helm, we eventually broke the hoodoo of WC derby victories with a thrilling outing at the end of that year. Something Ross couldn't do since 2015. That for me was a big turning point. In the off season cry baby Cerra wants out and off he goes to Carltoon. We draft a KEY POSITION FORWARD in Amiss in his place. Not a bad bit of business if I do say so myself, as good a player as Cez looked to be.

The next year, in 2022 we make finals and we WIN a final (hooray)...and no one (well, not true...but hardly anyone) is feeling unhappy, throughout the year FLAGMANTLE emerges as a hashtag/trending/thingy-ma-bob and we beat undefeated reigning Prems Melbourne at the MCG in a thrilling exhibition, including Frederick's infamous Flick of Flabbergasting Brilliance. The place erupts and Flagmantle gains traction and everyone is feeling, to quote General Levy alongside the M-Beat ("the world is in trouble"). "I am, I am...the Incredible general! S-s-s-s-sensational". Anyway. I digress.....

2022 off season and we lose a slew of dudes, some best 22, some....not. Then 2023 stuffs us right up the left turkey and we lose some more best 22s in Henry and Sarge and we're back to feeling a tad glum again. Typical Freo territory.

So we get to 2024 and it's now J-Lo's 5th year in charge and we're all a bit shifty, like...it's time to get a bit Sex Machine like James Brown J-Lo and show us what moves ya got. And so, of we goooooooo.......

Of the 4 losses (to date this year) - now, I could be one of those savant-posters who knows every nuanced stat and can wade out paragraphs of intellectual reasoning and have the proof, but I am not that poster. I'm too f***in' lazy!

What I will say though is this:

4 losses. 2 in Adelaide, 1 under VERY suss circumstances and possibly another game we could have (should have?) won against Port. Neither game we were amazeballs in, but we didn't get spanked either. In it up to our eyeballs in some AFL equivalent of chaos-chess.

We then get ambushed in some shock and awe move by a hungrier (on the night) West Coast and the derby streak is over and we're all feeling super shiphousery. And that's our worst losing streak to date, 3 in a row.

Of course we know the Sydney situation and the events leading up to that. The tragedy of losing Cam, a beloved ex-player not even 30 years old less than 24 hours before the kick-off/bounce-down. Pretty tough to talk about that, even now.

So really all 4 losses have mitigating feelings behind them and of course recently one draw, 6 wins. Is it so terrible, and is what Justin doing......so bad..?! Meh, personally - I don't think so.

It feels like we've come a long way since the dark days of just last year even when it felt like we had backpeddled - it feels like a club that the AFL treats like a bastard son with impetigo, that has a tough travel schedule every year, has (be honest) NOT been given an easier draw for finishing 14th; has had to endure tough years to get access to better picks when the Ross years did yield some success near the top but not ultimately a flag and certainly not an influx of handy picks like North and Gold Toast have recently been slathering over left right and centre. In a world where Harley "Hugger Mugger Face" Reid is the 2nd coming (in more ways than 1..) in the West and over in Vicworld, we're not even a blip on the radar when Footy Classified only wants to talk about Dustin Martin's impending retirement plans, we are irrelevant.

Justin isn't perfect and a part of that is his introverted personality or aspects of it, but...I personally can see growth in him as a person AND as a coach, look at him recently calling out the Amiss stuff, the travel schedule, Justin of 2 years, hell maybe even 1 year might not have felt empowered to do all that...this is a different person emerging and he's taking this playing group with him who drive lofty standards, like Caleb and Andy - future captains in waiting, maybe dual captains. He's also in charge of one of the comp's youngest lists, is the 2nd youngest coach I think - so plenty of upside in him. Is, as seen within the industry - highly valued, respected and even loved (by his own). Fyfe said post-match against the Bulldogs "we're a young group...we're well coached..". He also said in a Channel 7 segment it would be folly to sack him now and then the players have to learn all over again from a new coach, just as traction IS being made, just as progress (albeit at times frustratingly is materializing). This gig ain't easy, but you can clearly see there's a bond and there's a belief. These...are decent foundations, forget the past 29 years. History is what's behind you, it starts NOW!

However, I get it. Talk is cheap and I'm exhausted writing all this. I won't post again for 2 weeks. Yeah, right!

Just my gut call, but I reckon we have the RIGHT man, we're just not "seeing" it yet. Hold firm Freo crew, just ask poshman what decades about to come ;)

It's coming.
I love the Curt Hennig or Mr Perfect reference. lol

For starters the club let Ross run us into the ground before JLo got here. Our culture was shot and the internal review showed this.

Goodwin for example had the benefit of the Roos rebuild and got a list and team culture on a platter. The jury is out on Goodwin to be honest.

Look at the Nuggets in the NBA last year. Kept the faith and they got their title as a small market team. We can't afford to make massive changes and do stupid things because we are impatient hoping that we'll have Darcy Moore and two Dacios brothers or a series of UFA's walking through the door wallpaping over the cracks.

Sacking JLo now would he be destabilising and deadset stupid. Have you noticed how many Freo players have re-signed long term?
Well this is an interesting post.

I noticed your join date on here... September of 2004. This is gonna be relevant on what I will tell you.

Now... 1st off who was the Coach at the dockers when you joined on Bigfooty in September of 2004? It was chris Conolly

Now lets briefly talk about Chris Connolly.

He was the dockers coach from early 2002 until the middle of 2007. I still remember his last ever game as Dockers coach. It was a home loss to North Melbourne. Vintage avatar pick has that photo of Scot flash thorton and norths lindsay thomas.

Did freo make finals under chris connolly? Yeah we did. We can only look back at a 2003 elim final loss to essendon and 3 finals in 2006 which was a Qualifying final loss to crows, home semi final vs Demons and a prelim final loss vs the swans. We narrowly missed out on finals in 2004 and 2005. Had freo made finals in 2005, that means back to back finals in 2005-6, that would be nice to look back on.

We then had Mark Harvey took over the team in the middle of 2007. Dockers brought in 3 kids in that draft and added 2 essendon players in Kepler Bradley and one of the Johnson twins.

Mark Harvey over estimated the list at the end of 2007, thinking we could actually make finals in 2008. Dockers finished 14th in 2008 and 14th again in 2009. We had to go through a massive rebuild in 2008-9.

I remember freos list at the end of 2008. Only 7 players aged 23 or under. ONe of those 7 blokes aged 23 or under was traded off, Rob Warnock to Carlton.

You claimed that Ross Lyon destroyed the list. He probably did "Destroyed" the list.

But heres the thing. Did you like freos finals era of 2012-5? I did, I savoured every final the dockers played from 2012-15.

It sure as hell poos on freos finals history of 1995-2011. Finals in 2003, 2006 and 2010 to look back on.

Interesting you Named the Nuggetts in the NBA as an example. Yeah they did win the NBA title. It was their 1st NBA title too. How long did it take the Denver Nuggets take to win it? Well they were founded in 1967. Played in the ABA from 1967-1976. Been in the NBA since 1976.

As for Justin Longmuir...

I have said before and will say it Again. I dont see him getting us a flag. I am happy to be proven wrong.

I predicted Justin Longmuir to have a similar stint like Brad Scott at North Melboune from 2010 until 2019. North didnt make finals in 2010-11, made finals in 2012, missed out on finals in 2013, made finals in 2014-6, missed out on finals in 2017-9. North won 4 finals in that period. 2 finals in 2014 and another 2 in 2015.

Dockers didnt make finals in 2020-21, Made finals and won a final in 2022, We didnt make finals in 2023. I can see freo somehow sneak into finals in 2024 with 7th or 8th if we are good, then make finals in 2025-6 then drop off in 2027-29.

You want to see development. You want hope. You want progress. Five years is long enough to demonstrate that. If you can't sell your vision by then it is highly unlikely that you have a vision that is going to take you to the top.
Funny thing is the Average stint for a dockers coach is around 5 seasons.

Neesham started the dockers and lasted 4 seasons from 1995 to 1998. 4 seasons was enough to develop some kids.

Damian Drum was here for 2 and half seasons from 1999 to mid 2001.

Ben Allan was interim coach for half a season for that 2nd half of 2001.

Chris Connolly was here from 2002- to mid 2007. So thats 5 and a half years there.

Mark Harvey took over chris Connolly as an interim coach for the 2nd half of 2007. He got the full time job and lasted here until the end of 2011. So that 4 and half years from him

Ross Lyon was our coach from 2012 until 2019. thats 8 Seasons too.

Justin Longmuir replaced Ross Lyon at the end of 2019. Coached freo since 2020. As of middle of 2024, he is still freos coach and likely to see out at least the end of this season.

I must say I enjoy the reasoned discussion of the last few pages far more than the old days when there was always someone accusing anyone positive of being accepting of mediocrity, as if somehow if everyone got angry enough it would force us to just decide to be good!

In a year where Geelong has lost 4 on the bounce, Brisbane are getting thumped by the Hawks, Carlton got a full on belting by Sydney, Dogs are hot & cold, GWS are stuttering etc I think our form is pretty solid.

At least I go in to games expecting a contest and to be mostly in with a chance to win by the end.

It’s a bloody tough competition & without advantages that many other clubs get we’ve got a great group coming through together.

I don’t think it’s reasonable at this point to expect a premiership with our list demographic but we’re definitely heading in the right direction for sustained competitive football over the next few years.
i found it funny you posted this.

I got laughed at for being happy if this club made 2 elim finals in a row. lol

i found it funny you posted this.

I got laughed at for being happy if this club made 2 elim finals in a row. lol

It’s a point that gets made reasonably regularly on different parts of the site, about the concept in the US of winning seasons (where you win more than you lose). That they’re more enjoyable while they’re happening.

There is a tendency here to be completely reductionist after the season & argue that other than that team which lifts the cup everyone else has failed. That despite the hours of sweat & effort starting with preseason it’s all a waste of unless you win everything.

It’s just another way this site enables people to devalue & deride others. It really can suck the joy from the game.

Well this is an interesting post.

I noticed your join date on here... September of 2004. This is gonna be relevant on what I will tell you.

Now... 1st off who was the Coach at the dockers when you joined on Bigfooty in September of 2004? It was chris Conolly

Now lets briefly talk about Chris Connolly.

He was the dockers coach from early 2002 until the middle of 2007. I still remember his last ever game as Dockers coach. It was a home loss to North Melbourne. Vintage avatar pick has that photo of Scot flash thorton and norths lindsay thomas.

Did freo make finals under chris connolly? Yeah we did. We can only look back at a 2003 elim final loss to essendon and 3 finals in 2006 which was a Qualifying final loss to crows, home semi final vs Demons and a prelim final loss vs the swans. We narrowly missed out on finals in 2004 and 2005. Had freo made finals in 2005, that means back to back finals in 2005-6, that would be nice to look back on.

We then had Mark Harvey took over the team in the middle of 2007. Dockers brought in 3 kids in that draft and added 2 essendon players in Kepler Bradley and one of the Johnson twins.

Mark Harvey over estimated the list at the end of 2007, thinking we could actually make finals in 2008. Dockers finished 14th in 2008 and 14th again in 2009. We had to go through a massive rebuild in 2008-9.

I remember freos list at the end of 2008. Only 7 players aged 23 or under. ONe of those 7 blokes aged 23 or under was traded off, Rob Warnock to Carlton.

You claimed that Ross Lyon destroyed the list. He probably did "Destroyed" the list.

But heres the thing. Did you like freos finals era of 2012-5? I did, I savoured every final the dockers played from 2012-15.

It sure as hell poos on freos finals history of 1995-2011. Finals in 2003, 2006 and 2010 to look back on.

Interesting you Named the Nuggetts in the NBA as an example. Yeah they did win the NBA title. It was their 1st NBA title too. How long did it take the Denver Nuggets take to win it? Well they were founded in 1967. Played in the ABA from 1967-1976. Been in the NBA since 1976.

As for Justin Longmuir...

I have said before and will say it Again. I dont see him getting us a flag. I am happy to be proven wrong.

I predicted Justin Longmuir to have a similar stint like Brad Scott at North Melboune from 2010 until 2019. North didnt make finals in 2010-11, made finals in 2012, missed out on finals in 2013, made finals in 2014-6, missed out on finals in 2017-9. North won 4 finals in that period. 2 finals in 2014 and another 2 in 2015.

Dockers didnt make finals in 2020-21, Made finals and won a final in 2022, We didnt make finals in 2023. I can see freo somehow sneak into finals in 2024 with 7th or 8th if we are good, then make finals in 2025-6 then drop off in 2027-29.

You have no justification for this last point.
Why would Freo drop off right as the list is peaking in terms of age and experience? We still have youth coming through even now, with Simpson, Murphy, Delean, Davies, Draper, Erasmus, Johnson, Amiss all still so young, plus three firsts* in this year's draft.

Chris Connolly was here from 2002- to mid 2007. So thats 5 and a half years there.

Mark Harvey took over chris Connolly as an interim coach for the 2nd half of 2007. He got the full time job and lasted here until the end of 2011. So that 4 and half years from him
10 years flushed down the toilet on 2 duds, ouch.

10 years flushed down the toilet on 2 duds, ouch.
frustrating isnt it?

The Connolly period of 2002-7 hurts more.

I was gutted about losing to Port in round 22 back in 2005. Had a 10 point lead at half time then lost the game by 45.

Would I trade our 2003 for 2005? In some cases, I actually would. I would be happy to miss out on the 2003 finals to make 8th spot in 2005. That means back to back finals in 2005-6.

The only positive about Mark Harvey was that 2010 season where we won an elim final at 6th spot with 12 wins.

You have no justification for this last point.
Why would Freo drop off right as the list is peaking in terms of age and experience? We still have youth coming through even now, with Simpson, Murphy, Delean, Davies, Draper, Erasmus, Johnson, Amiss all still so young, plus three firsts* in this year's draft.
Because its the dockers and we are poorly run. We get 1st rounders and we trade them off for average players or get kids in the draft to develop average players.

Again... If freo doesnt make finals in 2024 what happens then?

Thats 4 seasons of no finals out of 5 under Justin Longmuir and only one finals series since 2015.

I want a sustained finals run. A period of 3 or 4 or 5 years in a row of finals. Even if its under Justin Longmuir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who want to have a read of deep dive analysis of Freos game plan style from an outside perspective, under JL, without any paywall.

Good read
Man it’s so close to clicking I can smell it

JL reminds me of the guy in that movie “ The Imitation Game”
Introverted, misunderstood genius who believed in himself while no one else did ( I had my moments ) , but in the end changed the course of the war .

Keep doing you JL

I'm coming into bat for Justin. Not that he needs nor probably cares individually for my help! :tearsofjoy:

I acknowledge things are far from perfect (what in life ever is..!?), well except maybe Curt Hennig, but he was also mortal, like the rest of us... and the "handball happy" stuff is overkill. I think even Justin knows this. ANDDDDDDDD we can't score, our ragtag forward line isn't up to scratch, Walters is over the hill (probably) and...yadayadayada!

But guess what, so is the criticism of him and his coaching and the excessive almost...cry-baby stuff over not being successful and in finals. For a start Justin had to manage his newly appointed team in his first ever outing during unprecedented weirdness called COVID and whilst he spent time in the hubble bubble toil and trouble galvanising his playing group and getting to know them and implementing defensive strategies and whatnots, West Coke off just a 2 year Premiership-previous victory were moaning like kids without i-pads in McDonalds scolded by world-weary parents! In many ways this paved the way for their current 'decline'. 2021 was better but he still had to go with the flow of fluctuations whilst the world adapted. With still a very young team at the helm, we eventually broke the hoodoo of WC derby victories with a thrilling outing at the end of that year. Something Ross couldn't do since 2015. That for me was a big turning point. In the off season cry baby Cerra wants out and off he goes to Carltoon. We draft a KEY POSITION FORWARD in Amiss in his place. Not a bad bit of business if I do say so myself, as good a player as Cez looked to be.

The next year, in 2022 we make finals and we WIN a final (hooray)...and no one (well, not true...but hardly anyone) is feeling unhappy, throughout the year FLAGMANTLE emerges as a hashtag/trending/thingy-ma-bob and we beat undefeated reigning Prems Melbourne at the MCG in a thrilling exhibition, including Frederick's infamous Flick of Flabbergasting Brilliance. The place erupts and Flagmantle gains traction and everyone is feeling, to quote General Levy alongside the M-Beat ("the world is in trouble"). "I am, I am...the Incredible general! S-s-s-s-sensational". Anyway. I digress.....

2022 off season and we lose a slew of dudes, some best 22, some....not. Then 2023 stuffs us right up the left turkey and we lose some more best 22s in Henry and Sarge and we're back to feeling a tad glum again. Typical Freo territory.

So we get to 2024 and it's now J-Lo's 5th year in charge and we're all a bit shifty, like...it's time to get a bit Sex Machine like James Brown J-Lo and show us what moves ya got. And so, of we goooooooo.......

Of the 4 losses (to date this year) - now, I could be one of those savant-posters who knows every nuanced stat and can wade out paragraphs of intellectual reasoning and have the proof, but I am not that poster. I'm too f***in' lazy!

What I will say though is this:

4 losses. 2 in Adelaide, 1 under VERY suss circumstances and possibly another game we could have (should have?) won against Port. Neither game we were amazeballs in, but we didn't get spanked either. In it up to our eyeballs in some AFL equivalent of chaos-chess.

We then get ambushed in some shock and awe move by a hungrier (on the night) West Coast and the derby streak is over and we're all feeling super shiphousery. And that's our worst losing streak to date, 3 in a row.

Of course we know the Sydney situation and the events leading up to that. The tragedy of losing Cam, a beloved ex-player not even 30 years old less than 24 hours before the kick-off/bounce-down. Pretty tough to talk about that, even now.

So really all 4 losses have mitigating feelings behind them and of course recently one draw, 6 wins. Is it so terrible, and is what Justin doing......so bad..?! Meh, personally - I don't think so.

It feels like we've come a long way since the dark days of just last year even when it felt like we had backpeddled - it feels like a club that the AFL treats like a bastard son with impetigo, that has a tough travel schedule every year, has (be honest) NOT been given an easier draw for finishing 14th; has had to endure tough years to get access to better picks when the Ross years did yield some success near the top but not ultimately a flag and certainly not an influx of handy picks like North and Gold Toast have recently been slathering over left right and centre. In a world where Harley "Hugger Mugger Face" Reid is the 2nd coming (in more ways than 1..) in the West and over in Vicworld, we're not even a blip on the radar when Footy Classified only wants to talk about Dustin Martin's impending retirement plans, we are irrelevant.

Justin isn't perfect and a part of that is his introverted personality or aspects of it, but...I personally can see growth in him as a person AND as a coach, look at him recently calling out the Amiss stuff, the travel schedule, Justin of 2 years, hell maybe even 1 year might not have felt empowered to do all that...this is a different person emerging and he's taking this playing group with him who drive lofty standards, like Caleb and Andy - future captains in waiting, maybe dual captains. He's also in charge of one of the comp's youngest lists, is the 2nd youngest coach I think - so plenty of upside in him. Is, as seen within the industry - highly valued, respected and even loved (by his own). Fyfe said post-match against the Bulldogs "we're a young group...we're well coached..". He also said in a Channel 7 segment it would be folly to sack him now and then the players have to learn all over again from a new coach, just as traction IS being made, just as progress (albeit at times frustratingly is materializing). This gig ain't easy, but you can clearly see there's a bond and there's a belief. These...are decent foundations, forget the past 29 years. History is what's behind you, it starts NOW!

I'm not patient either and 30 years is .......a painful wait, but it does feel like it's coming and we do have to hold firm because I reckon (and of course, I could be wrong..) that we have the right man at the helm and he is going to deliver...soon. I still think the list is incomplete and needs some Chad and Baker and maybe one or 2 others who we haven't even conceived of yet or another hidden draft gem.....but I have warmed to Justin over the past 6 months or so, he's showing me things.....little signs here & there, and can see some of myself and what struggles I've had to endure, albeit not in a professional domain like J-Lo has, but if he can grow as a coach to a level of empowerment he didn't always feel naturally able to, or capable of - he WILL lead this club to ultimate success. And if I'm wrong, and he can't...the club will have to act and the axe will have to fall.

But....I don't reckon I'm wrong. Each to their own, I respect EVERYONE'S right to have an opinion and I get how frustrating we can be as team at times especially burning chance after chance and how it can feel like J-Lo's fallback is a too defensive strategic set up etc, but we're fighting for a spot in the 8, not to stay out the bottom 4. We might not be Premiers elect in 2024, but we're fighting at the right end of the table and it doesn't feel like we're too far off now, it really doesn't.

However, I get it. Talk is cheap and I'm exhausted writing all this. I won't post again for 2 weeks. Yeah, right!

Just my gut call, but I reckon we have the RIGHT man, we're just not "seeing" it yet. Hold firm Freo crew, just ask poshman what decades about to come ;)

It's coming.
Someone had to say it!
Yokai!

Because its the dockers and we are poorly run. We get 1st rounders and we trade them off for average players or get kids in the draft to develop average players.

Again... If freo doesnt make finals in 2024 what happens then?

Thats 4 seasons of no finals out of 5 under Justin Longmuir and only one finals series since 2015.

I want a sustained finals run. A period of 3 or 4 or 5 years in a row of finals. Even if its under Justin Longmuir.
So poorly run that it's currently generating the third most revenue in the AFL?

I think you might be applying some out dated logic. Past performance is not a indicator of future performance.

You're being cynical. I get it, club related trauma that we've all been through. But none of what you're saying here is likely to happen. It could happen, but it is unlikely. You're portraying a near worst case scenario as a likely case.

How much evidence of good management do we need before it erases the fear of the poor choices of the past?

At this time we're making loads of money, have been recently drafting just about the best talent, with 2019 a great example, allowed fringe players who want to much money to walk instead of over paying them, have focussed on securing our best talent long term, have found a voice to speak out against the inequities of the AFL, lead the league for indigenous representation and promotion of the women's game, have world class training facilities, have been keeping a healthy list for over two years now, and are performing way above the level that our age demographic suggests we should.

Suggesting that we're going to fail because we failed before is just being stubborn and defeatist.

I think you might be applying some out dated logic. Past performance is not a indicator of future performance.

You're being cynical. I get it, club related trauma that we've all been through. But none of what you're saying here is likely to happen. It could happen, but it is unlikely. You're portraying a near worst case scenario as a likely case.

How much evidence of good management do we need before it erases the fear of the poor choices of the past?

At this time we're making loads of money, have been recently drafting just about the best talent, with 2019 a great example, allowed fringe players who want to much money to walk instead of over paying them, have focussed on securing our best talent long term, have found a voice to speak out against the inequities of the AFL, lead the league for indigenous representation and promotion of the women's game, have world class training facilities, have been keeping a healthy list for over two years now, and are performing way above the level that our age demographic suggests we should.

Suggesting that we're going to fail because we failed before is just being stubborn and defeatist.
Nice summary Mattis.
Yokai!

Don't take it to heart mattis, maniac literally bets money against Freo every game and is the eternal pessimist on here.

Mark Harvey doesn't get enough kudos for playing the kids, when it was coaching suicide.
A lot of our really good players came from that group of kids

The 2008 and 2009 seasons were not looked back fondly.

But yeah the kids had to be playing.

I remember getting the facts rammed down by a lot of anti freo fans and eagles fans about freo having the oldest squad in the AFL at the end of 2008. We also had only 7 players aged 23 and under . This was when the playing list was 43 or 44 players. 38 blokes on the main squad, 5 on the rookie list. The next worst side had at least 15.

I wasnt shocked about having only 7 players aged 23 or under by the end of 2008. We constantly traded our 1st rounder every 2nd year from 2000 to 2006. Yet 2003, 2005 and 2007 netted us at least 2 or 3 solid servants every season.

I still Remember that 2008 off season like anything. Guys like Jeff Famer, Shaun McManus, Matt Carr were retired. Peter Bell and his body only lasted half way into that 2008 season. It was an ageing squad.

I still remember some of those blokes aged 23 or under at the end of 2008: Rhys Palmer, Chris Mayne, Clayton Hinkley, Garrick Ibbotson, Marcus Drum, Steven Dodd, Robbie Warnock and my Personal Favourite, Brock "Lesnar" O Brien.

But fortunately we drafted well in Getting Stephen Hill, Nick Suban, Hayden Ballantyne, Michael walters and Zac Clarke in the National draft. Greg Borughton, Matt De Boer and Clancee Pearce were all taken in the rookie draft.

The 2008 and 2009 seasons were not looked back fondly.

But yeah the kids had to be playing.

I remember getting the facts rammed down by a lot of anti freo fans and eagles fans about freo having the oldest squad in the AFL at the end of 2008. We also had only 7 players aged 23 and under . This was when the playing list was 43 or 44 players. 38 blokes on the main squad, 5 on the rookie list. The next worst side had at least 15.

I wasnt shocked about having only 7 players aged 23 or under by the end of 2008. We constantly traded our 1st rounder every 2nd year from 2000 to 2006. Yet 2003, 2005 and 2007 netted us at least 2 or 3 solid servants every season.

I still Remember that 2008 off season like anything. Guys like Jeff Famer, Shaun McManus, Matt Carr were retired. Peter Bell and his body only lasted half way into that 2008 season. It was an ageing squad.

I still remember some of those blokes aged 23 or under at the end of 2008: Rhys Palmer, Chris Mayne, Clayton Hinkley, Garrick Ibbotson, Marcus Drum, Steven Dodd, Robbie Warnock and my Personal Favourite, Brock "Lesnar" O Brien.

But fortunately we drafted well in Getting Stephen Hill, Nick Suban, Hayden Ballantyne, Michael walters and Zac Clarke in the National draft. Greg Borughton, Matt De Boer and Clancee Pearce were all taken in the rookie draft.
Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family
Sale Working GIF

explaining eric cartman GIF by South Park

That is nice that the dockers are making money the 3rd most revenue in the AFL.

Dockers were 8.1 million in debt in 2001. By the middle of 2009, Freo were out of debt and had 5 million in the bank.

Here is the Brutal facts. Do you see Freo making finals in 2024? 2024 is our 30th year in the AFL.

Lets look at freos finals history shall we?

1995-2002: No finals
2003: finals
2004-5: no finals
2006: finals
2007-9: finals
2010: finals
2011: no finals
2012-15: finals
2016-21: no finals
2022: finals
2023 no finals
2024: ?

Even if freo makes finals in 2024, its only the 9th time in our history freo made finals.

Also, constant reminder that freo has only had a sustained finals period once or made finals back to back or at least 2 years in a row. That was in 2012-15.

I wished we made finals in 2005 and 2021. That means back to back finals in 2005-6 and 2021-22.

Go on and look at freos finals history from 1995-2010 in the final 8 from the 16 team era. Compare that to the 5 other non Vic sides in Adelaide, Brisbane, Port, Swans and West coast. All of them made finals at least 8 times from 16 years (except for Port, its 7 years of finals out of 14). All 5 clubs made 2 grand finals for one flag at a minimum.

we made in comparision finals 3 times out of 16 years in that 1995-2010 period.

you also asked me this question....

I have only one answer. Acutally only one word .... Premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back