Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I start, I am an unashamed JL fan and think this year could be one of the most exciting seasons in our history and I reckon he's the guy to lead us.

But, being a devils advocator for some time now I wondered what people thought, if things did go pear shaped, and he had his papers stamped at the end of the year, who we would look to?

Let's throw another layer on this. If the Weags continued their journey in the beer tray of the competition and decide at years end to say goodbye to Simpson, would there be any possibility of our board seeing if he is keen on staying on in Perth, but on the other side of the river?

It's obvious there's realistically and snowball's chance in hell of this happening but I don't think it's the worst off-season scenario to ponder.

I've thought about it and I'm probably in the no camp, but can see why some may differ.

Before I start, I am an unashamed JL fan and think this year could be one of the most exciting seasons in our history and I reckon he's the guy to lead us.

But, being a devils advocator for some time now I wondered what people thought, if things did go pear shaped, and he had his papers stamped at the end of the year, who we would look to?

Let's throw another layer on this. If the Weags continued their journey in the beer tray of the competition and decide at years end to say goodbye to Simpson, would there be any possibility of our board seeing if he is keen on staying on in Perth, but on the other side of the river?

It's obvious there's realistically and snowball's chance in hell of this happening but I don't think it's the worst off-season scenario to ponder.

I've thought about it and I'm probably in the no camp, but can see why some may differ.
C Scott
A Simpson
The next Rookie Coach Sensation
Me
Suma
Bevo

I don't there'd be many on here that wouldn't want Scott if JL finished up.
Even if we make finals this year and Hypothetically go out week one. I would still bring Scott in. If we win one in September it gets a little harder…

Scott would be so good for this group. Bevo no, Hinkley no and obviously Suma no.

Even if we make finals this year and Hypothetically go out week one. I would still bring Scott in. If we win one in September it gets a little harder…

Scott would be so good for this group. Bevo no, Hinkley no and obviously Suma no.
If we make the finals and win two and scott is available I would still consider a change.

Yeah two finals wins and we're into a prelim minimum, which as I have previously shown is the best predictive measure of winning a premiership - that you make at least one prelim in your first five years of coaching. So if he makes a prelim he'll survive and fair enough, that would be some achievement.

Realistically we'll be looking for a new coach and again, I love fantasy as much as the next guy, but I can't envisage Scott leaving Geelong and jumping to us without a break to rejuvenate. So Scott would have to do a Hardwick and jump ship midseason for me to believe. I think most likely our next coach will be another highly touted assistant who hopefully takes us down the McRae/Kingsley path. And please let it be one external to the club, not Graham.

i can't believe people are so sucked into this West BS. Young team but looks packed full of talent, inj low and only lost Shultz as a star player so lots of competition, decent draw, derby wins have been entered in with pen, yep, Brissie and other top teams will still probably get the points, but I'm looking forward to a very different season to the last. Run up the ladder and finals wins before Flagmantle 2025 which JLo and Serong will be holding up on the dais. :shoutyoldman:

If we make the finals and win two and scott is available I would still consider a change.

I think Grant Thomas was sacked despite making finals. I can’t remember anyone else unless you count succession planning organised years in advance.

I’ve been one of JL’s biggest critics the last few weeks but if we’re in the top eight at the bye the chances of him getting re-signed are about as likely as death and taxes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy talk, but I note your use of the word 'consider'. The great caveat.

Yes - consider is a large caveat.

Scott is still young enough. Has won a couple of flags, coached here before and is a proven top level coach.

If we won one final I would do it in a heartbeat. If we win two I would consider it seriously and personally lean towards bringing scott in.

I want a flag and a stretch of 5-7 years playing finals. Scott isnt old and has proven he can achieve that.

I think Grant Thomas was sacked despite making finals. I can’t remember anyone else unless you count succession planning organised years in advance.

I’ve been one of JL’s biggest critics the last few weeks but if we’re in the top eight at the bye the chances of him getting re-signed are about as likely as death and taxes.

If we are top eight at the bye and re-sign him I will be spewing. Let the year play out.

I must say it’s an interesting decision by the club to post this article. They are in for a busy year if every bit of scuttlebut from the media has to be formally responded to like this in a club website piece.

Words mean nothing right now, the only way they can truly show they are behind JL is to extend his contract immediately. If they are not going to do that (appears clear they aren’t at this point), then better off saying nothing instead of making Jakob Waddell feel important about himself.

Yes - consider is a large caveat.

Scott is still young enough. Has won a couple of flags, coached here before and is a proven top level coach.

If we won one final I would do it in a heartbeat. If we win two I would consider it seriously and personally lean towards bringing scott in.

I want a flag and a stretch of 5-7 years playing finals. Scott isnt old and has proven he can achieve that.
Scott was gifted a premiership level list.

I must say it’s an interesting decision by the club to post this article. They are in for a busy year if every bit of scuttlebut from the media has to be formally responded to like this in a club website piece.

Words mean nothing right now, the only way they can truly show they are behind JL is to extend his contract immediately. If they are not going to do that (appears clear they aren’t at this point), then better off saying nothing instead of making Jakob Waddell feel important about himself.
It's a pretty specific and significant claim for the West to make this early in the season. The Club seems pretty keen to at least put on a front of solidarity before the season starts.

For mine, I wouldn't want to go for a proven coach. Keep going the route of trying to find the next Craig McRae.

Scott was gifted a premiership level list.
Not many people thought that, including Geelong hierarchy. The story is that when they were interviewing multiple candidates to replace Bomber the focus of the interview was how the candidates would approach rebuilding as they assumed the golden era was basically over, and Scott convinced them that he wouldn't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back