News Justin Reid announced as List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

This year will define him IMO. He made some mistakes last year and if he can rectify them then he gets a tick. If he manages to get the signings of Gov and Lever he gets another one

If we leave trade week with a similar list and another balls up and/or we lose both those guys...... then he's done.

If Lever and Gov sign, he gets a tick from me. Although that tick is half hearted since we have been reamed at the trade table in both overpaying (Hampton/Menzel/Seed) and taking way unders due to poor trading strategy (Gibbs).

Reid has been nothing special, but not yet a complete disaster

This year will define him IMO. He made some mistakes last year and if he can rectify them then he gets a tick. If he manages to get the signings of Gov and Lever he gets another one

If we leave trade week with a similar list and another balls up and/or we lose both those guys...... then he's done.
Looking at it he has managed to sign the core group, I forgot to mention Betts, Brown and Milera as well. That a fair effort. You'd have to say his contract renewals are good performance. The trade week was a let down and if there's another it won't be good on that side of things.

Looking at it he has managed to sign the core group, I forgot to mention Betts, Brown and Milera as well. That a fair effort. You'd have to say his contract renewals are good performance. The trade week was a let down and if there's another it won't be good on that side of things.
Yep and if he gets Lever and Gov, then that side of his work has been very good. If Jake leaves then it becomes about what we manage to get for him.

Gov is a little less clear, as his value to us is more than what he probably commands on the open market.

Glad that one of the world's worst kept secrets has now finally come to fruition. :thumbsu:

Totally happy with both his appointment and his location. He has his finger right on the pulse re what's being paid etc and what players might be on the marker in the near future etc. Could be handy with the current Dangerfield situation

Being located in Melbourne has him rubbing shoulders with the majority of the games' player managers, and he would know most of them pretty well which would keep him tuned in to any potential prospects. Hopefully one of these is James Aish's manager. :)
Just listened to the #CrowCast. Any change of opinion?

Gonna reserve my judgement on Reid until after the trade period. If it's not favourable and both lever and gov are gone then he can follow.

Last edited:
If Lever and Gov sign, he gets a tick from me. Although that tick is half hearted since we have been reamed at the trade table in both overpaying (Hampton/Menzel/Seed) and taking way unders due to poor trading strategy (Gibbs).

Reid has been nothing special, but not yet a complete disaster
Hampton/Menzel/Seed was Noble and that was his MO in nutshell. Take unders/pay overs so we can maintain "good relations".

The fact we gave up a 2nd rounder for Hampton is amazing, but GWS said to Nobes "geegollywhiz, we'd really like a 2nd rounder so we can get a academy kid" and Nobes doesn't bother to haggle and says "I got ya back".

Last edited:
Hampton/Menzel/Seed was Noble and that was his MO in nutshell. Take understand/pay overs so we can maintain "good relations".

The fact we gave up a 2nd rounder for Hampton is amazing, but GWS said to Nobes "geegollywhiz, we'd really like a 2nd rounder so we can get a academy kid" and Nobes doesn't bother to haggle and says "I got ya back".
I'll take one or two for ya GWS.

Hampton/Menzel/Seed was Noble and that was his MO in nutshell. Take understand/pay overs so we can maintain "good relations".

Ah s**t it was too. Hopefully that has changed with the incoming of Reid (alas, no trade ins made yet).

Ah s**t it was too. Hopefully that has changed with the incoming of Reid (alas, no trade ins made yet).

Worked pretty well last year:

Just curious when we lose a mid range player this because we did not pay him what some believe he should be paid will it be Reid fault,
Because if we are going to Keep Lever, McGovern, Greenwood, and expect to get a Say Rocklift or Gibbs, they will need to offer Knights, Cheney, Doedee, Ottens, Keath, Kelly, less money than they may think they are worth.
If we get a Rocklift and Gibb and sign all 3 of those players, it would roughly be, 2.8mill of the cap for 5 players ie Lever 700, McGovern 550K, Greenwood 400K, Rocklift 700K, Gibbs 500K.
Add Walker 600K, Sloane 600K, Talia 500K, JJ 550K, Lynch 400K, B Crouch 500K, M Crouch 400K, MacKay 400, Douglas 400
Leaves about 4.85 divided by 30 player that leaves 155K average for the rest. Easy to say we will looking at a list of 38 plus 5-6 rookies on 80K
And yes MacKay and Douglas are gone in 2018 but M Crouch 2018 followed by B Crouch 2019 are up plus Gooch, Milera, Pohokle Etc.

Some of my dollars may be out I may be low on some and higher on others but the question still remains is it Reid's fault if we lose players due to offering unders. or refuse to pay Overs.

Also, my opinion which I am even more bullish on is Gibbs is staying at Carlton next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will show his worth or lack of it this trade period.
I think he has credits in the bank for not cav8ng in to what Carlton wanted for Gibbs. Plus he got what I see as fair value at the time for Lyons. I still don't rate Lyons as more than a stat padder.

But if Lever and/or Gov go we need a first round pick for each if them as a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hampton/Menzel/Seed was Noble and that was his MO in nutshell. Take unders/pay overs so we can maintain "good relations".

I am guessing that Gubby Allan did this when we offered a 2nd round pick for Hampton

giphy.gif

I think he has credits in the bank for not cav8ng in to what Carlton wanted for Gibbs. Plus he got what I see as fair value at the time for Lyons. I still don't rate Lyons as more than a stat padder.

But if Lever and/or Gov go we need a first round pick for each if them as a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tend to agree on Lyons, his stats don't translate to impact IMO

In terms of Gibbs I am one that is extremely comfortable that we didn't cave to Carlton's demands especially if we land Hopper during this trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back