Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you watch Heeney play against us when we beat them here? We won, but as a 20 year old, he killed us. Him playing as a full time midfielder is scary. There is no weakness in his game. If we had any shot of getting him, I'd want us to pay whatever it costs in both trade capacity, and contract capacity.
Heeney is exactly what we need.

Perhaps we need to send a study group over to the States to places like Green Bay, Oklahoma, Memphis, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis etc etc to find out how they attract and retain players. I'd suspect $$. Throw the sink at guys like Heney.

There's a lot of factors that footballers would consider, some players will rank some factors differently to others.

Contract value
Contract length
Chance for success
Lifestyle in that city
Proximity to friends & family
More on-field opportunity
Outside of football opportunities
Post football opportunities

Unfortunately for us, I don't think it's as simple as "we're a chance at success, throw money at X". We need to be looking forward and coming up with strategies to bridge the gap with the factors that we trail in.

Lifestyle - I love Adelaide and have lived here since my late teens and now into my 30s, but young men with money to burn don't typically seem to agree. Ex-SA players who are settling down to start a family like Gibbs will be prime targets, but waiting for a suitable players in that scenario isn't reliable.
Outside of football opportunities - A thing we can't promise without risking sanctions, but is a given in the eastern states. If we were Sydney, the AFL would bring in a special rule where we could facilitate third party deals without having to count them in the cap. This would be equalisation for us, can we push for it?
Post football opportunities - Similar to the above. We don't have the AFL media world centred here, and we only have two clubs. If you have post career ambitions in the media or coaching, you are better off in Melbourne. What can we do to catch up here?

Heeney, maybe... Fyfe... (don't know, let you know after we see how he's recovered from his leg injury). Anyone else? What would you have paid Dangerfield to lure him to your club?
My club is the AFC.
I am on Twitter record as saying I would have paid $1m to keep Dangerfield.

Lifestyle - I love Adelaide and have lived here since my late teens and now into my 30s, but young men with money to burn don't typically seem to agree. Ex-SA players who are settling down to start a family like Gibbs will be prime targets, but waiting for a suitable players in that scenario isn't reliable.
Outside of football opportunities - A thing we can't promise without risking sanctions, but is a given in the eastern states. If we were Sydney, the AFL would bring in a special rule where we could facilitate third party deals without having to count them in the cap. This would be equalisation for us, can we push for it?
Post football opportunities - Similar to the above. We don't have the AFL media world centred here, and we only have two clubs. If you have post career ambitions in the media or coaching, you are better off in Melbourne. What can we do to catch up here?
I posted a quick rundown elsewhere. I like this last bit.

Lifestyle- Yep maybe a more family oriented footballer or someone from a smaller rural region who finds the ''big smoke'' too big.

Outside of Football Opportunities- This is where extensive interviewing comes in. Find out what the player wants to do after football. Find out what their partner is interested in pursuing. Its not so much Balfours offering Frog Cakes for life but more the Visy deal where Chris Judd sits in an office for an hour a week ;) . I like the idea of asking the AFL for relief in this area.

Post Football Opportunities- similar to the previous one it would be about what they wish to do. I would sell it as a training ground. There would be cross-over with the previous area. You want to go into media? What better opportunity than learning , firstly with the AFC on-site media dept, but also the major stations here. Kane Cornes is already on Fox. Tredrea will ( if he wishes to) be going to a market like Sydney or Melbourne within 2 years. Dale Lewis and co already travel the country for MMM. All while living in Adelaide. Melbourne is less than 3 hours by plane ( taking boarding , deplaning and travelling into account) .

You wish to become a National Manager for a business? Why not start out at State level. You want to open a physiotherapy business. Your wife wants to open a Fashion Shop? Learn here than transfer or open franchises in the state you want to eventually move back to. etc etc. Its about not saying its all too hard but coming up with solutions.

Read a book last night where the quote was '' while you are thinking its all too hard there is someone already finding a solution''

Perhaps we need to send a study group over to the States to places like Green Bay, Oklahoma, Memphis, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis etc etc to find out how they attract and retain players. I'd suspect $$. Throw the sink at guys like Heney.

When all else fails. Cheat.
If we can't beat em. Join em.

It fell apart the moment we assumed Carlton would cave in at the last moment.
I think it fell apart when Reid made his announcement on day 1... but he was too clueless to realise & kept playing losing poker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats your point? we did a bad job or refused to pay overs? He was never for sale unless we were ridiculous about our offer. So if thats the case, we made the right decision not to budge.

No we ****ed up by petulantly holding our breath for 2 weeks waiting to get our way

Pay, don't pay, got nothing to do with the camping out refusing to accept the need to explore other options

So you know what went on in those conversations?

So you think I need to know? Critical reasoning fail

1. We have said we waited for them to blink at the last minute

2. We held onto the goodies until the last minute when we expected to cash them in

3. What part of that allows for us to spending them elsewhere? We so sure we wouldn't need a backup plan

4. We actually did * all. No ifs. No buts. We were left standing at the alter

I think the above point about holding 13 for Gibbs is well established. The failure was not having the back up or if we didn't have one pretending that we did have one. Shop around 13 as if we had another buyer. Sure its an old Car Salesman trick but the reason they keep using it is that it keeps working.

So you think I need to know? Critical reasoning fail

1. We have said we waited for them to blink at the last minute

2. We held onto the goodies until the last minute when we expected to cash them in

3. What part of that allows for us to spending them elsewhere? We so sure we wouldn't need a backup plan

4. We actually did **** all. No ifs. No buts. We were left standing at the alter

Lol. Clasping at straws at its best. Just want to critique the club. Your post was so full of crap I am would be surprised if you weren't laughing while you wrote it. My goodness.

Lol. Clasping at straws at its best. Just want to critique the club. Your post was so full of crap I am would be surprised if you weren't laughing while you wrote it. My goodness.

Are you happy that the club tried NOTHING to improve our midfield apart from Gibbs 'coming to them at the 11th hour' [or 11th minute (sic) as Reid has called it a few times].

Are you happy that the club tried NOTHING to improve our midfield apart from Gibbs 'coming to them at the 11th hour' [or 11th minute (sic) as Reid has called it a few times].

Achieving and trying are different things, we know they didn't achieve anything that would improve our midfield, but that is not an indication that they didn't try anything, or that there were other options available to us.

Last edited:
Achieving and trying are different things, we know they didn't achieve anything that would improve our midfield, but that is not an indication that they didn't try anything, or that there were other options available to us.

I thought it was pretty clear when the club said our strategy was always to go to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back