Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't give two firsts this year and we were in an improved position with extra picks.
they wanted straight 2 firsts last year and we didn't have them. I reckon it's slightly overs but we won the rest of those.

My only criticism was we should have done it last year and had Gibbs last year when we seemed a pretty good chance at a premiership

It was a crap decision not going after him last year as hard as we did this year

Lever and CC were good trades considering the position we were in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We didn't give two firsts this year and we were in an improved position with extra picks.
they wanted straight 2 firsts last year and we didn't have them. I reckon it's slightly overs but we won the rest of those.
Yes, I wish people could work this out. It's simple.
1. 2 firsts last year would have seen us out of the first round for 2 years (Lever & Cameron being unknowns then). This year it's totally different.
2. We didn't pay "2 firsts", we paid one first, and downgraded pick 16 - hopefully by not too much.

- and I think we probably did the Gibbs deal before Cameron deliberately, before SOS could try it on for pick 12 as well, and possibly derail the whole thing. Maybe our old mate Nobes did us a solid on that one, and agreed to the delay ;)

My only criticism was we should have done it last year and had Gibbs last year when we seemed a pretty good chance at a premiership

It was a crap decision not going after him last year as hard as we did this year

Lever and CC were good trades considering the position we were in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lets be honest. He's not worth two. If Carlton hold ground his value we paid is between 9-7
If you go by last years eg it's approx pick 4.
Last year should have been done, but not for two first. SOS was grumpy last year.

We can debate the Gibbs price all we want but with Lever and Cameron wanting out I think Reid has done a great job.

My only wish is we also got a player with pace and dash to replace either Cameron or better yet Smith.

Maybe we will bolster this with a mature ager at 39?
Any DFAs who fit this profile?

1. 2 firsts last year would have seen us out of the first round for 2 years (Lever & Cameron being unknowns then). This year it's totally different.
2. We didn't pay "2 firsts", we paid one first, and downgraded pick 16 - hopefully by not too much.

- and I think we probably did the Gibbs deal before Cameron deliberately, before SOS could try it on for pick 12 as well, and possibly derail the whole thing. Maybe our old mate Nobes did us a solid on that one, and agreed to the delay ;)
If we gave 15 and and a future it's 16 thats a pick value of pick 4, I don't think we expected to be finishing so higher either.
We played well and developed well.

Agree. 10, 2018/2 and a downgrade of 16 to about 22 next year in a stronger draft. Maybe 16 and that carlton 2nd/208 are about the same value (?)

Imo Reid has sold us down the river. He's traded out our fastest player and biggest x factor who was under contract. We will go backwards next year.

Sack Reid. weak as piss!!!!

You have not heard any of the Reid interviews then, Cameron was still a Crow until Pyke contacted Reid and Had a discussion.
It was Pyke decision to move Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's the deal with unsigned FA's now? Are they just free to sign? Cause the AFL website just posted a list of all the teams unsigned players. No stars but certainly some ok depth/development options.

Wellingham
O'Rouke
Hartung
Lennon
Mackenzie
Boekhorst
Suban
Toumpas
White

All have solid AFL experience, none of which are really that old.

So what's the deal with unsigned FA's now? Are they just free to sign? Cause the AFL website just posted a list of all the teams unsigned players. No stars but certainly some ok depth/development options.

Wellingham
O'Rouke
Hartung
Lennon
Mackenzie
Boekhorst
Suban
Toumpas
White

All have solid AFL experience, none of which are really that old.
They can be offered contracts by their clubs now or will be delisted. There is a list lodgement date, then DFA date, then list lodgement #2 (inc DFAs). Following that is the ND.

From that list, I'd take Mackenzie and Lennon only. Wouldn't even take Toumpas for free!

N

The SA talent will be gone by pick 10 . Our picks in 2018 will be after pick 10 unless us or Melbourne have a real s**t year .
Let's not underestimate the power of MFC to s**t the bed. They've basically made an art form out of it since The Spice girls last topped the charts!

They can be offered contracts by their clubs now or will be delisted. There is a list lodgement date, then DFA date, then list lodgement #2 (inc DFAs). Following that is the ND.

From that list, I'd take Mackenzie and Lennon only. Wouldn't even take Toumpas for free!
Yeah I'm pretty much the same, loved Toumpas in his draft year, disappointed he never amounted to anything. I used to like the way Matt White went about it too. Certainly had excellent speed a few years back. What's happened to him since? Can't remember seeing him play for a while.

Absolutely stoked with Justin Reid this year. After a terrible balls up last year he smashed it out of the park this year - it is great to actually watch someone learn lessons from mistakes and implement them under pressure. The club coped so much crap last week with Lever, holding onto Cameron ,Walkers comments etc but he didnt budge , he didnt stray from his (the clubs) plan - we want 2 firsts for Lever and he got them, we won't trade Charlie (and then didnt entertain it until the very end and got massive overs). With the hand he was dealt with 2 key players leaving an outstanding result

Wigg trade for 39 - gets Edwards even if Port decided to spoil the party with a nomination in there 30-40 picks
Lever trade - all agree given uncontracted a very good deal (far far better than what we got for Danger)
Gibson - gives the SANFL a bigger body to protect kids as we have no experienced midfielders there now, can play a role at AFL level if required

But the kicker - assuming Adelaide finish 5th and Carlton 14th (which I think both are worst case for us next year)

Gibbs 2018 pick 23 and 41 for Charlie, 16 and 2018 pick 31 - a pick downgrade in the second and third rounds in a deeper draft and swap Charlie for Gibbs. Thats an A ++

Last edited:
We can debate the Gibbs price all we want but with Lever and Cameron wanting out I think Reid has done a great job.

My only wish is we also got a player with pace and dash to replace either Cameron or better yet Smith.

Maybe we will bolster this with a mature ager at 39?

This is where Milera and Gallucci need to have big pre-seasons, they have pace and an opportunity to take either of the vacant roles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back