Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

100% agree, everyone keeps asking where we are going to get better, but conveniently forget we have 3 x 1st round players running around in the two's. Those 3 have all done OK till now but this year OK isn't good enough. They all need to have the preseason of their lives and come out firing week 1
Which 3 are you referring to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the 2018 draft stocking I am stoked about. It would have been nice if we had kept our second rounder, just in case we slide and Carlton rise, but otherwise 10, 17, 21, 39... That's the makings of a core group of 10+ year players.

Still think we payed over's in the Gibbs deal, but in all our stratergy is good and our list is more than solid.

Reid > Noble

+
It is the 2018 draft stocking I am stoked about. It would have been nice if we had kept our second rounder, just in case we slide and Carlton rise, but otherwise 10, 17, 21, 39... That's the makings of a core group of 10+ year players.

Still think we payed over's in the Gibbs deal, but in all our stratergy is good and our list is more than solid.

Reid > Noble
+ pick 12 this year..if we get this and the next draft right, it could help sustain us in the upper part of the ladder for years to come

Interesting to read Hartigan's thoughts on players moving closer to family and how family is more important than footy in the end - particularly after your coach is murdered puts life into perspective. It seems it gave some clarity to the lads - and it's something they are clearly still feeling two years later. I suggested the other day that maybe the legacy of Walsh was too much for some of the lads and maybe this is a factor for some (to go home). I think it may have been for Dangerfield in the end.
Geelong knew Dangerfield was going to them many months before Walsh died. Before the 2015 season in fact

I see this differently to most because I would happily have paid the money to keep Lever.

I would have liked:
1) trade out JJ for pick 60+ to anyone with cap space in a salary dump. If Port can do it with Lobbe and Melbourne with Watts the we can do it with JJ
2) use the cap space to retain Lever
3) go ahead with Charles -> Gibbs trades for value in which they happened

Our defence would be better with Lever, and our forward line would be better without JJ.

We wouldn’t have a first round pick this year and we’d have a bit less currency next year. Who cares. Do we really want to harm our chances of winning with Sloane and Tex and co for the sake of maybe having a chance at 1 SA player next year and keeping JJ? Apparently we do.

However once the decision was made to let Lever go the outcome was as good as you could hope.

I see this differently to most because I would happily have paid the money to keep Lever.

I would have liked:
1) trade out JJ for pick 60+ to anyone with cap space in a salary dump. If Port can do it with Lobbe and Melbourne with Watts the we can do it with JJ
2) use the cap space to retain Lever
3) go ahead with Charles -> Gibbs trades for value in which they happened

Our defence would be better with Lever, and our forward line would be better without JJ.

We wouldn’t have a first round pick this year and we’d have a bit less currency next year. Who cares. Do we really want to harm our chances of winning with Sloane and Tex and co for the sake of maybe having a chance at 1 SA player next year and keeping JJ? Apparently we do.

However once the decision was made to let Lever go the outcome was as good as you could hope.

Lever wasn't interested in staying with us, except as the highest paid player on our list. You want him paid more than everyone else on our list and think that's fine?

Lever wasn't interested in staying with us, except as the highest paid player on our list. You want him paid more than everyone else on our list and think that's fine?
Without wishing to reanimate the Lever discussion here as it’s not the right thread - that’s the approach I would have taken

Will be interested to see how we all feel one year on!

Which part of the Gibbs deal don't you like? Pick 10, the 16 transfer to 2018 and slight downgrade? Or the side dishes? Just for clarity, because all you've said is blah blah it sucked.
We paid the equivalent of pick #7, for a player worth pick #16 (including contract premium).

I object to paying close to double his value.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

We overpaid for Gibbs certainly but we also got overs for CC. Wait and see next year if it was worth it I say.
We got overs on Lever, and made out like bandits with Cameron. We even got something for Wigg, who we were going to delist anyway.

He undid all of that good (maybe even great) work with a single disastrous trade (Gibbs).

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back