Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

The pick swap was a piece of genius from S.O.S. Only swapping 5 for 8 and Stocker is great business. Then there's the Gibbs trade.

Love your avatar!

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
The only issue I have is with the Gibbs trade and deal. Both in Reid being his previous manager and his ineptness at announcing the discussions in 2016. I am wary of conflicts of interest and Reid had a big one with Gibbs

The Board though fell in love with the idea of getting Gibbs back to the Promised Land and overpaid.

I do want to know who does have final say on delistings? Board, Coach LM or a combination? Because there are some players on the list that should have had time called.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imagine if directed all the energy and money we used on Gibbs on retaining lever and Cameron.

Even number 1 psychophant mark bickley slammed the list mgmt.

SOJ- Son of John - wtf

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The biggest issue for me is that all roles seem to be struggling for depth, except two:
  • attacking half-back flank/winger - Too many top-tier players, causing minor structural issues by playing all of them, with some out of position. Also overly weighted towards offensive contribution which means you need to find an extra spot for someone like Mackay who is somewhat accountable.
  • defensive/small forward - Murphy is harshly treated here. But the contribution from him and those like him is hardly a major component of the crows structure, yet there are about 10 backups waiting in the wing.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
We have list and fioty program issues

The modern game requires speed, pressure acts and contested ball both in air and ground

Oir kwy forwards are soft in the air and hopeless when the ball hits the deck and moat of our players are either slow or they cant tackle

We dont have too many players that have speed and do the pressure acts

On our footy program, Fagan and Chapman promised an elite program however kept Campo past hus expiry date and delivered Burton, Hart, 2 x sanfl coached to support Pyke

This is not an elite program

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I, along with some others pointed out that we sold our future for Gibbs. We gave up two firsts for 1 year of a solid B grader. Ineptness at its finest.
It was an embarrassment for our club.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I don't think he's doing that bad of a job.

He doesn't pick the 22, he doesn't set the structures or teach the skills......

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Imagine if directed all the energy and money we used on Gibbs on retaining lever and Cameron.

Even number 1 psychophant mark bickley slammed the list mgmt.

SOJ- Son of John - wtf

Lever and Cameron didn't leave because of money. Like McGovern they had checked out.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Reid isn't the guy that decides to resign guys like Lynch and Walker.

The coaches and head of football make the call on who they want to stay and the list manager's job is to execute.

Yep, he negotiates but he gets directed when it comes to players like that. He may have done it anyway but Gibbs was the same I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The pick swap was a piece of genius from S.O.S. Only swapping 5 for 8 and Stocker is great business. Then there's the Gibbs trade.
I know your pissed. But, Carlton will still likely finish 16th, and we will likely finish 9th. So, the swap is more accurately (probably) going to be 3 for 10/19 (Stocker). 5 for 8 is not happening.

Johnny Rutten

Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Reid isn't the guy that decides to resign guys like Lynch and Walker.

The coaches and head of football make the call on who they want to stay and the list manager's job is to execute.
The Gibbs trade in retrospect has not worked. The pick swap - I still think was gutsy move. Not often that our club shows balls like that.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
In retrospect I now tend to think Gibbs was done solely as a feel good PR exercise.

We were getting slammed in the media over the grand final, we then had all the bad PR with Lever and then Cameron's departure.

The club most probably thought that as they had a stock pile of first rounders that year that they could pull the trigger on a Gibbs trade and it would be a circuit breaker to give the club something positive to sell to the supporters.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
In retrospect I now tend to think Gibbs was done solely as a feel good PR exercise.

We were getting slammed in the media over the grand final, we then had all the bad PR with Lever and then Cameron's departure.

The club most probably thought that as they had a stock pile of first rounders that year that they could pull the trigger on a Gibbs trade and it would be a circuit breaker to give the club something positive to sell to the supporters.
Also a bit of a feel good exercise in what a lot supporters considered "righting a wrong"

Johnny Rutten

Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I was really pleased when we got Gibbs. Not pleased now. Justin Reid would probably be feeling the same way!!

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would suggest Ogilvie's lack of identifying top shelf midfield talent is a bigger issue than Reid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Honestly think we’ve gotten sucked into going for the speculative ‘funky’ kind of picks - because we had success with them in the past (Danger, Doedee).

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honestly think we’ve gotten sucked into going for the speculative ‘funky’ kind of picks - because we had success with them in the past (Danger, Doedee).
I think there’s an element of that and Gallucci is going to be an average player.

But some comments on Jones are a bit early. We are all saying how our midfield is slow and has no defensive running. Jones is the opposite of that.

But we gave him * all time in the middle and even now prefer Douglas to him in the SANFL.

Our coaches are morons.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
I was really pleased when we got Gibbs. Not pleased now. Justin Reid would probably be feeling the same way!!
I was unhappy at the time with the cost and age. You pay 2 first rounders for a Coniglio, Neale not a 28yo Gibbs.
It also left us short on draft picks and forced us to sell CC who was contracted instead of us offering CC more money to stay.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
What has not helped, not playing them. Not giving them responsibility. Giving them meaningful roles in the team. Allowing them to develop. That’s the thing that hadn’t helped.

Not giving game time to Fogarty, Jones, or McHenry has not helped.

Fogarty instead of Jenkins.
Jones instead of Mackay
McHenry instead of Murphy
Hamill instead of kelly
Gallucci instead of Atkins

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

100%

BUt that is even worse. It means we knowingly sold our future success for short term PR.

Any club that would give away 2 first round picks to get some good media coverage isn't interested in winning a premiership.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
The PR element was there with Gibbs. But I think Reid and the club wanted him "home" due to his personal issues.

Got to remember the SA Footy community (across both clubs) is very insular and the Gibbs family is very much part of that. Justin being his manager before our List Manager would have been fully aware if his personal issues.

The Gibbs deal is a disaster. But he did well.with other trades and I dont see too many issues with his List Management. Remember we all cheered Sloaney the game after his five year deal. Celebrated Jenkins signing on. Scoffed at suggestions Tex would leave. Love Eddie and glad of his extension to end his career here and in 2017 were backing Jacobs in as our sole.Ruck, when he should have been AA Ruck.

Hindsight is 20/20.

The next two years we need a clean out and will be interesting to see how he goes. My hope for 2021 is that these guys wont be in our list.

Jacobs
Tex, maybe his final year 2022 is acceptable
Dougie
Mackay
Gibbs
Eddie
Otten
Hunter
Jenkins

The good thing is we already have players to take on these roles, with some.of these guys already being phased out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back