Justin Reid

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
In retrospect I now tend to think Gibbs was done solely as a feel good PR exercise.

We were getting slammed in the media over the grand final, we then had all the bad PR with Lever and then Cameron's departure.

The club most probably thought that as they had a stock pile of first rounders that year that they could pull the trigger on a Gibbs trade and it would be a circuit breaker to give the club something positive to sell to the supporters.

No it was done to make the team better.

No one saw 2018 coming ( clearly not the club). If Gibbs 18 form had been in a Crows 17 midfield it would have been great. But it didn't happen.

On the pick swap, it was awesome by the club, showed balls.

But once again let down by this playing group. They are a big part of the problem.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
In retrospect I now tend to think Gibbs was done solely as a feel good PR exercise.

We were getting slammed in the media over the grand final, we then had all the bad PR with Lever and then Cameron's departure.

The club most probably thought that as they had a stock pile of first rounders that year that they could pull the trigger on a Gibbs trade and it would be a circuit breaker to give the club something positive to sell to the supporters.
Just like Grundy will be the same

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

100%, I have said that since day 1. Anyone that thinks Admin don't get involved in list management is kidding themselves.

Another example is Dean Gore, he wasn't a football pick, the club just needed someone to soften the blow in that deal rather than a draft picks. It worked, the media talked him up all off season.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
No it was done to make the team better.

No one saw 2018 coming ( clearly not the club). If Gibbs 18 form had been in a Crows 17 midfield it would have been great. But it didn't happen.

On the pick swap, it was awesome by the club, showed balls.

But once again let down by this playing group. They are a big part of the problem.
Yes and no

Once we didn't get Gibbs in 2016 Organic Growth was the buzzword.

And yeah it worked. Players had to step up and they did.

Making a GF should have made everyone reassess if Gibbs was a need. Maybe losing the GF was the trigger.

I certainly felt that a Gibbs would have been a difference in 2017 GF, but would we have made it?

My only concern over a Gibbs trade was the price

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Yes and no

Once we didn't get Gibbs in 2016 Organic Growth was the buzzword.

And yeah it worked. Players had to step up and they did.

Making a GF should have made everyone reassess if Gibbs was a need. Maybe losing the GF was the trigger.

I certainly felt that a Gibbs would have been a difference in 2017 GF, but would we have made it?

My only concern over a Gibbs trade was the price
Two first round mids instead of Gibbs would have been far better.

Look at.our midfield now. One quality first rounder in Milera. A cameo.first rounder in Gooch. And Jone. I am calling it early, he wont be elite and in a similar calibre to Gooch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
When you have got a heap of old senior players on big pay packets playing in the reserves, there is a problem with list management.
When you cant beat the 3rd to bottom side with the oldest list in the league, you have a list management problem
The players don't like how the club is being run at the moment and it shows in their performance

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
This is bulls**t. Apart from the Lyons departure and Gibbs acquisition, this guy has exceeded expectations in every single trade scenario that has been forced upon us.

We’ve got problems, Reid isn’t amongst the list.

From what i've seen, i'd say he's pretty decent at trading.
At the time you seemed to get pretty good hauls for Lever/Cameron/McGovern despite those players wanting out.

But he seems pretty terrible at list management.

Giving big money, long-term deals to some of your older players in hindsight appears to have been poorly done...moreso the number of years i reckon like betts having another year. Tex/Jenkins/Lynch and even Sloane arguably got maybe 1 year too many on their deals.

He hasn't got the balance of the list right as OP noted...should have at least one more KPD and ruck on the list, and probably more speedy players and less inside mids (although he's tried to address this recently, should have identified this earlier).

My perception is their seems to be a rigid contract policy at Adelaide as well, where the older players get the big bucks and long-term deals, while young players don't, no matter how good they are. May have contributed to losing Cameron/Lever/McGovern.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The Gibbs trade in retrospect has not worked. The pick swap - I still think was gutsy move. Not often that our club shows balls like that.
I wonder if Port swooping on Rozee triggered us into action?

Felt that we had to do something

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I wonder if Port swooping on Rozee triggered us into action?

Felt that we had to do something
Possibly. But, I'm glad we did. A looming top-3 pick (the first in our history) is at least something to look forward to amongst the rubble of this wasted season.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Pyke was keen on Gibbs in our 1st attempt however wasn't in favour at the 2nd bite of the cherry and now Pyke needs to mange this disater

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Pyke was keen on Gibbs in our 1st attempt however wasn't in favour at the 2nd bite of the cherry and now Pyke needs to mange this disater
I didn't know this. Do we think Gibbs plays this week? If he doesn't after a 40 possession game + considering how poor our AFL midfield was yesterday, then that could suggest he won't be there next year.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
It's only taken him three years but he's successfully destroyed our list.

Long term deals to Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, etc have left us with limited ability to turn over the list, and has left us close to the cap. Now we've got an army of 30 year olds stuck in the twos.

Gibbs trade. Not much more needs to be said.

Ageing fringe players like Mackay, Douglas and Otten should have been moved on last year.

Failure to address needs in the trade/draft period - ruck depth, KPD depth, another small forward with PACE.

Messing players around with contracts. We saw it with Henderson, Lever (future captain of the club), McGovern, Lyons and now Greenwood. It's cost us players who are in the prime of their career.

Worst of all is our effort in last year's draft. We got outplayed by Port, failed to move our picks up to secure elite talent and kicked the can down the road to secure a pick in a lesser draft.

All in all another failure by another Mark Ricciuto boys club appointment.

Add him to the sack list.
So much yes.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Who would have thought that Roo appointing one of his mates for a job he has no experience in wouldn't just work out?
Yeah that and also how much does the old man‘s counsel get brought in.
The idea of appointing an ex player manager seems to have not been savvy.
Knowing the industry is one thing. Playing the other side to gain advantage is another and in some people’s eyes shady.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are paying about 110 grand for Eddie to play for Carlton next season.
Any figures for what we are going to pay Geelong?
200k. Jerka lowered his wage to 400k, 50 / 50 split with Geelong I believe. 400k salary cap relief.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh so 310 grand for next yr and 200 the next. Half mil all up. Spewing.
Was worth it to get him out. Was ruining our culture and likely influencing young players. Pretty cheap pickup by the cats. I see him as backup for Hawkins and Ratugolea though and don't think he will get many games. I dont think Scott will put up with any of his bs.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would suggest Ogilvie's lack of identifying top shelf midfield talent is a bigger issue than Reid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am the biggest critic of Oglivie

But Fair is fair, we haven't seen much of his recruits, probably because the coach didnt think they were ready

It will be interesting to see if the new coach thinks they are ready

Anyhows this year will determine a lot and where we finish then we can go as hard as we like at how the list looks on how we finish at Ogilvie

Im predicting an atrocious finish at around 14th or 15th, but only time will tell

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He's actually done the right thing this year, Just took 12 months longer than it should've.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
There is no better late than never when his models should be two or three yrs ahead.
We went to the draft last year too, and if you look at our best performed kids in the 2s they were pretty much all last year's draftees.

I have an issue with the Greenwood trade, but everything else we've done this year is pretty bang on really.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We went to the draft last year too, and if you look at our best performed kids in the 2s they were pretty much all last year's draftees.

I have an issue with the Greenwood trade, but everything else we've done this year is pretty bang on really.
Keath

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Recruiting is fine. List management meh. Greenwood took a great contested mark when forward.
Getting rid of that option when we don’t do that much was bemusing.

Back