Justin Reid

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In general I’m not a fan at all. Can’t put my finger on why exactly. He’s completed some decent trades, the list was a bit of a mess though and he’s a year late in pruning it.

I think it just gets up my nose he’s John Reid’s son - and around and around we go with AFC nepotism. Was he the best person for the job? I’ve no idea. He was a player manager - does that automatically qualify you to be a list manager?

Does Chapman have kids?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In general I’m not a fan at all. Can’t put my finger on why exactly. He’s completed some decent trades, the list was a bit of a mess though and he’s a year late in pruning it.

I think it just gets up my nose he’s John Reid’s son - and around and around we go with AFC nepotism. Was he the best person for the job? I’ve no idea. He was a player manager - does that automatically qualify you to be a list manager?

Does Chapman have kids?
And Roos manager wasn’t he?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think trading has been good but list management has been really poor. Mainly contract length and lack of forward planning. We really backed ourselves in a corner by not moving on a few older guys like Douglas at the end of 2018 .

I don’t really agree with that. Just because there’s a couple of older guys on the list doesn’t mean you have to play them while they’re in s**t form and kids are doing fine in the 2s. That’s a philosophical selection issue, not a list management issue.

Does Chapman have kids?
I'm a little like this. I wasn't a fan of his dad as I'd had a few run ins with him. Don't know what Justin is like at all, so it's probably unfair to judge him based on his dad. But was he the right person for the job?

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Does Chapman have kids?

I think the issue for me (partly) is that he projects himself as a meek, hapless sort of character. You listen to him talk and it's difficult to feel any confidence in the way he comes across, and you're just hoping that he won't * it up instead of having faith that he'll always do the right thing.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Does Chapman have kids?

St Kilda pulled their list manager straight out of the banking industry. Anybody who thinks list managers act alone in determining who gets offered contracts, for how long and how much is kidding themselves. That is a committee decision influenced heavily from the coaching group based on where the committee view the list in terms of challenging. Reid is the negotiator and administrative instrument of the committee. As an ex player manager, what he brings that we didn’t have, was knowledge on the value of players across multiple clubs. That said, if culturally we think overpaying the middle of our list remains the way to go, then intel brought by Reid is largely meaningless.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I don’t really agree with that. Just because there’s a couple of older guys on the list doesn’t mean you have to play them while they’re in s**t form and kids are doing fine in the 2s. That’s a philosophical selection issue, not a list management issue.

I am talking more that we got to the end of 2019 with to many guys we had to move on or who probably didn't deserve a contract extension. Some were a surprise but some were not. That is part of list management.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm a little like this. I wasn't a fan of his dad as I'd had a few run ins with him. Don't know what Justin is like at all, so it's probably unfair to judge him based on his dad. But was he the right person for the job?

given that Roo (mistake tally mounting), Pyke (divided the playing group and pushed out) and Burton (sacked) were on the LM committee with him, it’s hard to isolate whether he’s right or wrong for the job.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
given that Roo (mistake tally mounting), Pyke (divided the playing group and pushed out) and Burton (sacked) were on the LM committee with him, it’s hard to isolate whether he’s right or wrong for the job.
We'll get a clearer idea after 2020 I suspect

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Don’t disagree with most of that EC.

I would just add in that I do think our younger players are a bit better developed for having had a successful SANFL season. Played a lot of good footy together, went deep into finals.

It’s not AFL experience of course, but I’m pretty confident our key 2018 draftees will be ready to roll and make good contributions next year
Agree , Doedee highlighted the value of good devlopment in the SANFL, and a developed body ready for the AFL grinder.
There a good crop of Kids in the SANFL side ready to play AFL, some will need more than 2-3 games, but some will suprise from the get go.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am talking more that we got to the end of 2019 with to many guys we had to move on or who probably didn't deserve a contract extension. Some were a surprise but were not. That is part of list management.

I think a couple of terms were too long and blind Freddy could see that JJ and Lynch is too much non-contest in a forward line when we’re not handsomely on top in the middle and off half back. But, the list management guys saw a window and contracted to keep the group together. We’re paying for it now though, but Dougie playing out his 3 year deal and the Otto/Mackay extensions into 2019 aren‘t close to where our list issues are.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
We went to the draft last year too, and if you look at our best performed kids in the 2s they were pretty much all last year's draftees.

I have an issue with the Greenwood trade, but everything else we've done this year is pretty bang on really.
And we’ll go again without shifting 4. Or it’s his ******* head

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
St Kilda pulled their list manager straight out of the banking industry. Anybody who thinks list managers act alone in determining who gets offered contracts, for how long and how much is kidding themselves. That is a committee decision influenced heavily from the coaching group based on where the committee view the list in terms of challenging. Reid is the negotiator and administrative instrument of the committee. As an ex player manager, what he brings that we didn’t have, was knowledge on the value of players across multiple clubs. That said, if culturally we think overpaying the middle of our list remains the way to go, then intel brought by Reid is largely meaningless.
The Pies hired a former player manager in Ned Guy as their list manager a few years ago, so it's not unusual for someone in player management to transition into the role, the question is then did Reid get the job or merits, or because of who he knows/knew at the club?

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Pies hired a former player manager in Ned Guy as their list manager a few years ago, so it's not unusual for someone in player management to transition into the role, the question is then did Reid get the job or merits, or because of who he knows/knew at the club?
Exactly and all points go towards a board appointment by Ricciuto cos old man Reid is a good mate.
There also is a bit of push back when you spruik a player to when you list manage a player.
Its two faced.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Does he bring knowledge of players value. Why are we paying other teams this yr...

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

FFS, Reid is only 1 person on a List Management committee that included such luminaries as Brett Burton, Mark Ricciuto and Don Pyke. Campo probably pushed his influence into there as well. Such was his power at our club. 2 of that crew were sacked, even though it went against our grain. Reid is the least of our problems, it’s Chappo and Rooo that are crippling our club.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does he bring knowledge of players value. Why are we paying other teams this yr...

He’s not an autocrat. The coaching group rate the player and then he engages with the player manager to get the best deal possible on behalf of the List Management committee. Pyke, Campo and Roo ****ed us, not Reid. He’s just the executable instrument. He’s not our problem.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He’s not an autocrat. The coaching group rate the player and then he engages with the player manager to get the best deal possible on behalf of the List Management committee. Pyke, Campo and Roo f’ed us, not Reid. He’s just the executable instrument. He’s not our problem.
I like old Reid as an operator in the industry but he went out with a bit of a taint.
You sure there’s a bevy of dudes above him that tell him what the goal is?
Im unsure.

Back