Club Mgmt. Justin Rodski moves on - CEO at Melbourne Storm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, absolutely this

Good riddance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a load of crap. Talk about ignorance!

He was the Chief Marketing Officer and as such had no involvement in football. The only aspect of the club that’s been successful has beenJustin’s portfolio:

- Secured Major partner Amart. Essendon has a sponsorship portfolio total value in the top 4 in the AFL
- Led the leagues digital platforms over many years during a period when Essendon were regarded as leaders in the digital space
- 85,000 members in 2019 having had no on field performance to assist (equal and ahead of Collingwood and Hawthorn)

He got down to the top 3 in CEO candidates at Manly Sea Eagles, North Kangaroos before being selected to run the Storm.

He’s regarded as a leader in his field and his appointment at arguably the most respected sporting club in the country supports this..

He’s been at EFC 10 years and with football department imploding around his commercial arm, commercial revenue collapsing now with it, it’s a great time for Justin to move on.

Good luck to the next Marketing Exec in achieving anything like what’s been achieved commercially over the last 4-5 years with no on field success providing tailwinds that our competitors have largely had on only comparable results.

Give it to Essendon as a laughing stock in many ways.. But Essendon has never been considered a laughing stock commercially the last 5-6 years. Far from it.

- Led the leagues digital platforms over many years during a period when Essendon were regarded as leaders in the digital space
What's that based on? Most followers/likes/engagement? Where do I find those stats (obviously follower numbers are publicly available)...

Are those numbers reflective of overall member numbers or is it averaged out?

What's that based on? Most followers/likes/engagement? Where do I find those stats (obviously follower numbers are publicly available)...

Are those numbers reflective of overall member numbers or is it averaged out?
Yes, in Justin’s earlier years, he was in charge of the social media area. During this time Essendon had and still does have among the highest amount of followers on Facebook and Twitter in the AFL. Essendon were widely regarded, along with the Crows as the early adopters of these platforms in the AFL. All achieved without any premiership success which has a rocket like impact on these metrics (Eg: Hawthorn, Colling and recently Richmond & West Coast).

You can check clubs followers by going to their Facebook and Twitter pages. Recent premierships has seen our rivals close the gap on Essendon however given no infield success, Essendon’s strength in these areas is in no small way due to Rodski’s focus on these platforms as a mode of communication, leading directly to expansion of the fanbase across all key metrics.

Very surprised people are bagging him. When you look at the state the club is in commercially after what is possibly the most disastrous decade for any club in the history of Aust sport, I dunno how anybody can conclude he’s done a poor job. Far more likely that he’s one of the people who really helped to save the club’s ass. He’s never had anything at all to do with the footy dept.

What, our social media sucks a bit? Jesus Christ people, give him a break. He’s been in charge of all commercial for some time now.

Very surprised people are bagging him. When you look at the state the club is in commercially after what is possibly the most disastrous decade for any club in the history of Aust sport, I dunno how anybody can conclude he’s done a poor job. Far more likely that he’s one of the people who really helped to save the club’s ass. He’s never had anything at all to do with the footy dept.

What, our social media sucks a bit? Jesus Christ people, give him a break. He’s been in charge of all commercial for some time now.
I mean, most people were crediting the new President (former director of finance) and the CEO for that a few weeks ago.

Our marketing in general isn’t that impressive, it’s mostly pretty shallow, a bit of lip service and the minimum required amount of access, very controlled messaging which is obviously not the most impressive of the AFL clubs.

Social media hasn’t been that bad, it’s just a more visible example of the overall strategy.

Meanwhile memberships and player sponsorship fees keep going up significantly, and the return on that is pretty questionable as per my previous point (even taking into account covid related cuts and less access to players and coaches due to hubs, which aren’t factors inside the clubs control).

Then there’s the ISC deal that obviously went pear-shaped as well. Some would suggest a bit of foresight may have been available there with due diligence, given they had well overextended themselves.

Now, what I have mentioned above is not me trying to bag him and I’m not saying he’s bad at his job. Obviously he’s fairly good at it or he wouldn’t be getting a promotion.

They’re just things that people have commented on and complained about for the last several years. He’s not immune to criticism levelled at his portfolio nor is he singlehandedly responsible for all of the positive things that have occurred during his career at Essendon.

With that in mind, it’s not surprising that the response to this is a bit mixed.

He was the Chief Marketing Officer and as such had no involvement in football. The only aspect of the club that’s been successful has beenJustin’s portfolio:

- Secured Major partner Amart. Essendon has a sponsorship portfolio total value in the top 4 in the AFL
- 85,000 members in 2019 having had no on field performance to assist (equal and ahead of Collingwood and Hawthorn)

He got down to the top 3 in CEO candidates at Manly Sea Eagles, North Kangaroos before being selected to run the Storm.

He’s regarded as a leader in his field and his appointment at arguably the most respected sporting club in the country supports this..

He’s been at EFC 10 years and with football department imploding around his commercial arm, commercial revenue collapsing now with it, it’s a great time for Justin to move on.

Good luck to the next Marketing Exec in achieving anything like what’s been achieved commercially over the last 4-5 years with no on field success providing tailwinds that our competitors have largely had on only comparable results.

Give it to Essendon as a laughing stock in many ways.. But Essendon has never been considered a laughing stock commercially the last 5-6 years. Far from it.

YEAH BUT HIM LEAVE BOMBER HIM BAD

I actually have no idea who he is and have no feelings towards this either way.

I mean, most people were crediting the new President (former director of finance) and the CEO for that a few weeks ago.

Our marketing in general isn’t that impressive, it’s mostly pretty shallow, a bit of lip service and the minimum required amount of access, very controlled messaging which is obviously not the most impressive of the AFL clubs.

Social media hasn’t been that bad, it’s just a more visible example of the overall strategy.

Meanwhile memberships and player sponsorship fees keep going up significantly, and the return on that is pretty questionable as per my previous point (even taking into account covid related cuts and less access to players and coaches due to hubs, which aren’t factors inside the clubs control).

Then there’s the ISC deal that obviously went pear-shaped as well. Some would suggest a bit of foresight may have been available there with due diligence, given they had well overextended themselves.

Now, what I have mentioned above is not me trying to bag him and I’m not saying he’s bad at his job. Obviously he’s fairly good at it or he wouldn’t be getting a promotion.

They’re just things that people have commented on and complained about for the last several years. He’s not immune to criticism levelled at his portfolio nor is he singlehandedly responsible for all of the positive things that have occurred during his career at Essendon.

With that in mind, it’s not surprising that the response to this is a bit mixed.
You can pinpoint bits and pieces everyday at any club and every club..

Eg: For all its success, why isn’t Richmond in the top 6 of clubs for total sponsorship value? Until 2017 flag, why did Richmond have ~30% less followers and engagement outcomes across Facebook and Twitter Vs Carlton and Essendon? Why has Carlton only got 64,000 members?

Commercially benchmarking Essendon against its piers, Essendon have been best in class in a ‘net’ (taking into account onfield success) over the period of Justin’s influence.

Membership - 84,300 in 2019. Equal with Collingwood despite no onfield success (Collingwood premierships and prelim finals, Essendon no win I g finals). Ahead of Hawthorn, miles ahead of Carlton with more like for Luke on field success as best comparison. 2020 COVID impacted so exclude...

Crowds - in 2018 almost level as top attended club with Richmond despite 7 home games at Marvel. 5/7 Marvel games sold out. Achieved 1.0M+ most recent seasons with little success. Comparing Essendon’s average crowds in years they didn’t make finals routinely had them ahead of Carlton and Richmond despite few MCG home games.

Sponsorship - Top 4 total value sponsorship in AFL (2nd in 2020 I believe). He secured the Amart deal himself.

Digital - Despite no one field success propelling numbers like most clubs, Essendon 2nd in Facebook and Twitter followers. Website traffic has Essendon as the most popular AFL club website the last 5 years.

Coteries - Comfortably has the largest coterie support in the AFL

Imagine some of Essendon’s numbers above if it won 1 or even 2 premierships?

Justins done an amazing job in his 10 years. Commercially Essendon’s reputation is among the highest in Australian sport and this is in no small way due to what he achieved during his tenure. The Figures speak for themselves.

Thsts why he almost landed the Kangaroos CEO role, ultimately securing the role at one of the best clubs in Australian sport.

You can pinpoint bits and pieces everyday at any club and every club..

Eg: For all its success, why isn’t Richmond in the top 6 of clubs for total sponsorship value? Until 2017 flag, why did Richmond have ~30% less followers and engagement outcomes across Facebook and Twitter Vs Carlton and Essendon? Why has Carlton only got 64,000 members?

Commercially benchmarking Essendon against its piers, Essendon have been best in class in a ‘net’ (taking into account onfield success) over the period of Justin’s influence.

Membership - 84,300 in 2019. Equal with Collingwood despite no onfield success (Collingwood premierships and prelim finals, Essendon no win I g finals). Ahead of Hawthorn, miles ahead of Carlton with more like for Luke on field success as best comparison. 2020 COVID impacted so exclude...

Crowds - in 2018 almost level as top attended club with Richmond despite 7 home games at Marvel. 5/7 Marvel games sold out. Achieved 1.0M+ most recent seasons with little success. Comparing Essendon’s average crowds in years they didn’t make finals routinely had them ahead of Carlton and Richmond despite few MCG home games.

Sponsorship - Top 4 total value sponsorship in AFL (2nd in 2020 I believe). He secured the Amart deal himself.

Digital - Despite no one field success propelling numbers like most clubs, Essendon 2nd in Facebook and Twitter followers. Website traffic has Essendon as the most popular AFL club website the last 5 years.

Coteries - Comfortably has the largest coterie support in the AFL

Imagine some of Essendon’s numbers above if it won 1 or even 2 premierships?

Justins done an amazing job in his 10 years. Commercially Essendon’s reputation is among the highest in Australian sport and this is in no small way due to what he achieved during his tenure. The Figures speak for themselves.

Thsts why he almost landed the Kangaroos CEO role, ultimately securing the role at one of the best clubs in Australian sport.
Well said Justin. Best of luck at storm😀

Personal dealings gives me a better insight to what the bits of paper say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your personal experience may have been such. More broadly, the clubs commercial results under his watch speak for themselves.

Incomings to the club, absolutely. His work has been wonderful. From the club out it’s sub par and is regarded as such in the industry

The Melbourne Storm would be one of the 5 best run sporting organisations in the country

If the Storm think he is worthy of replacing Donaghy, there is something redeeming about him
Exactly.

dave10 with regards to membership total they were gifting "opt out" memberships to people's last known mailing addresses. From memory I think we were about mid table for actual membership revenue.
Probably about the same position we occupied on the ladder too...

Touch higher I think. It's the only season i recall seeing the figures, so i don't know if we are improving, falling away or staying the same in that regard.
Winning games is the best form of marketing I think. I don't think putting membership revenue on the CEO is fair as there are too many other factors at play.

wasnt he the guy who wrote every single stupid press release we did during 2013
Look I just said I had no idea who he was so

never paid much attention to what Justin accomplished, of which i'm sure he did a lot.

I only give a s**t about winning games of football, which we suck at. I don't really give two shits about what marketing & social media presence we have until we win games of football. All it is as smoke up your ass.

Rodski as CEO never did it for me.....no real experience outside AFL or Essendon. To me it’s very difficult to make that guy your CEO, it’s a leap of faith.

Maybe he’s a great talent and doesn’t need that broader exposure. We’ll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back