Justin Sherman

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2007
Cambridge, UK
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australia Cricket Team
Hey guys do you think Sherman's DT score will improve as the yr goes on?

Hahaha just kidding:D.

In all seriousness does anyone feel a bit of the 'same old, same old' about this season. Our older players are still carrying the team to an extent, long injury list, Drummond's injured again:mad:, our forward line looks at times pretty one-dimensional, we are having trouble clearing our defensive zones from kick-ins, and we're getting smashed in the clearances.

IMO it is integral that players like Sherman, Riska, Proud, Stiller step up very soon if we are to have a successful season.

Hey guys do you think Sherman's DT score will improve as the yr goes on?

Hahaha just kidding:D.

In all seriousness does anyone feel a bit of the 'same old, same old' about this season. Our older players are still carrying the team to an extent, long injury list, Drummond's injured again:mad:, our forward line looks at times pretty one-dimensional, we are having trouble clearing our defensive zones from kick-ins, and we're getting smashed in the clearances.

IMO it is integral that players like Sherman, Riska, Proud, Stiller step up very soon if we are to have a successful season.
of course it's integral that every player on the team to step up to be successful but you gotta remember also that the bulk of our team has played less than 50 games or will be playing their 50th game this year so you can't really heap so much pressure on them but guys like like drummond, JMac, adcock and Merrett who are 23 years old this year are certainly playing their hearts out at the moment so i'm confident matthews can mould the young guys into top class afl standard players. guys like leuey, harding, tyler, proud and hooper are in for long careers in the afl.

We're two games in. How much did you expect things to change?

We've got two blokes in the top 15 on the goal kicking (one of only four sides that can say that), so our goalkicking is at least two dimensional. Middle tier guys like Merrett, Patful, JMac and Corrie have been very good and guys like Begley, Berger and Proud are making important contributions.

Personally I am very content with the form to date. I think over the next few weeks you will see a few of the young guys naturally start to rise to the challenge.

Personally I am very content with the form to date. I think over the next few weeks you will see a few of the young guys naturally start to rise to the challenge.

by round five we should know how we are going and i think we will be prety good but i'm sorry to say Justin Sherman ain't got what it takes. him out sellwood back in:confused:

• Banned
of course it's integral that every player on the team to step up to be successful but you gotta remember also that the bulk of our team has played less than 50 games or will be playing their 50th game this year so you can't really heap so much pressure on them but guys like like drummond, JMac, adcock and Merrett who are 23 years old this year are certainly playing their hearts out at the moment so i'm confident matthews can mould the young guys into top class afl standard players. guys like leuey, harding, tyler, proud and hooper are in for long careers in the afl.

All these players I really rate but I think only JMac is playing substantially better than he was last yr out of those four.

With Leuey, Harding, Tyler, Proud and Hooper only Leuey has really lived up to what I expected so far. I realise that this is a premature thread however I just see some worrying signs that were present in the last three seasons.

Not being too negative I hope;).

• Banned
We're two games in. How much did you expect things to change?

We've got two blokes in the top 15 on the goal kicking (one of only four sides that can say that), so our goalkicking is at least two dimensional. Middle tier guys like Merrett, Patful, JMac and Corrie have been very good and guys like Begley, Berger and Proud are making important contributions.

Sorry my OP was a bit ambiguous wasn't it? I was really looking forward to our second tier midfield stepping up but this hasn't really been the case and this is really hurting us in the clearancess. As another poster said hopefully this is just lack of match practice and they will run into better form.

Also with our forward line I think we are sorely missing a crumbing forward, allowing the footy to leave the attacking footy with too much ease. Again hopefully Hooper can find some of that late 07 form on a consistent basis.

I have held the consistent view, formed by just watching the bloke and the results achieved in the tagging role apparently earmarked for him when he makes the seniors, that Sherman is not, and probably never will be, any good at this negative task.

When he was at his best he was running the lines and terrorising the life out of his forwards (since it was so unusual back then, pre-Adcock etc) and the opposition.

Talk about setting him up to fail. Shermo is a confidence player, and when he is beaten by his taggee, he drops his head and his performance suffers accordingly. His body language is very obvious, not a good thing, admittedly, at any elite level. You can say what you like about the need to be more than one-dimensional, but he ain't- the coaching staff need to deal with it or lose a very promising player.

Talk about setting him up to fail. Shermo is a confidence player, and when he is beaten by his taggee, he drops his head and his performance suffers accordingly. His body language is very obvious, not a good thing, admittedly, at any elite level. You can say what you like about the need to be more than one-dimensional, but he ain't- the coaching staff need to deal with it or lose a very promising player.

The problem is that to last in the modern game, you need to have multiple strings to your bow.

Sherman won't be able to forge a career as simply a outside runner. I think he club are willing to persist and give him the opportunity to develop a more complete game.

He's contracted till the end of 2009, so he has some time.

I know Sherman showed massive amounts early, but this doesn't deprive him of the right to follow the same development curve as all other young players.

There seems to be a growing trend that young players are being expected to deliver earlier and earlier. Some players simply don't peak until they are a little older. Jmac anyone?

I'm a little concerned also. I just don’t see how they could restrict arguably the best asset he offers to the team, it must be a little frustrating for him also as one could imagine. However given the conditions of the game, I don’t think he was ever going to have a considerable impact.

I am hoping to see a revitalised shermo back this weekend burning up the GABBA with some nice runs through the middle. (fingers crossed)

by round five we should know how we are going and i think we will be prety good but i'm sorry to say Justin Sherman ain't got what it takes. him out sellwood back in:confused:

What the hell's happened to the Sherminator?

He burst onto the scene and then backed it up with a fantastic follow-up season. Was racking up big numbers and kicking goals, playing a variety of rolls...

Last season he couldn't get a game and this season he's started off really slowly. I noticed he was close checking his Collingwood opponents, maybe it was a tagging role?

Anyhow, I really loved how Sherman went about it those first two years and am wondering what's happened to him circa 06 - what's caused this massive form slump?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell's happened to the Sherminator?

He burst onto the scene and then backed it up with a fantastic follow-up season. Was racking up big numbers and kicking goals, playing a variety of rolls...

Last season he couldn't get a game and this season he's started off really slowly. I noticed he was close checking his Collingwood opponents, maybe it was a tagging role?

Anyhow, I really loved how Sherman went about it those first two years and am wondering what's happened to him circa 06 - what's caused this massive form slump?

Check out his Roster Watch thread.

Check out his Roster Watch thread.

Haha big thread, that.

Massive Infection! No wonder. I thought he'd fallen victim to the party-boy nature he could so well pull off.

Hopefully he can recapture some of that great form that had propelled him into the most exciting young players catagory.

I take it the legend that is Leigh will work Justin back into some form by giving him some run-with rolls? What're your thoughts Brissy fans?

Justin Sherman burst on to the AFL scene at just 18-years-old with his electrifying pace and drive forward of centre but by the age of just 25, he was out of the system.

I knew the Worm had been a player / coach in the north / east suburbs of Melbourne or thereabouts for a few years, but this article from last year suggests he is now focussing on his coaching.

FWIW, I didn't mind a bit of hungry Sherman, particularly in hindsight. He was a walking cliche bogan with the tatts, hair and fake tan (who could forget when he rolled out one game and it was bright orange like an Oompa Loompa, but perhaps that's why I found him enduring in a ****ed up kind of way.

To Sherman's credit, he was bloody durable to play 114 games (85 goals too) in 6 years is a pretty fair achievement, even in a poorer side, but there were games where he was bloody dominant too. For context, Hipwood has only played 94 games in 6 seasons and the likes of McCluggage and Berry have played 82 and 74 games respectively in 5 seasons.

Last edited:
Had the talent to be a 200 game player. They say injuries curtailed his career but I think in the end he just didn't have the commitment required. Great highlight reel though.

♛ AFL Level 2 Coach 🏈
♛ Asst Coach Northern Knights 🔵⚪
♛ Co- Host @theredvestpod🎙
♛ Mental health advocate 🗣
♛ Former AFL Athlete #➊➊ 🦁🐶
♛ Fishing 🎣

Still involved in the footy world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back