Justin Westhoff

Remove this Banner Ad

... Often better at kicking the improbable goal than the straightforward.
That pretty much sums up the Hoff for me.

Frustrating at times but saved our bacon many times.

Always maintain that any time he marked the ball within 30 metres straight in front he needed to play on immediately and kick a snap.
Yeah not sure what happened there. In his first years when he played close to goal he was as reliable from that distance as anyone i can remember

He went from that to being an absolute bombscare anywhere within 30 metres

Sad the 2nd to last player left from my era the only one left is Hurn now ..
I remember playing against him at South Gawler he was Tanunda and I just laughed in distain at the dweeb standing me at full back ..
A long time ago I am glad he came to Port and got good i will miss him as a player as he was my Daughters favourite her first footy words were Hoff dad Hoff lol..

Shes emotional poor kid unfortunately that's life .

I would like him to retire with a medal but knowing how selfless he is he would rather team success then the individual success.

Put him down for the Norm Smith

On yar Hoff

what an enigma, man i don't know how to feel. i know it's the right call but i am definitely going to miss him. he's been through so much with us, seeing him go out with a flag would be fitting but it's hard to see with his form this year. definitely bitter sweet, knowing at least pete is developing well and keeping him out.

Justin almost epitomises our afl existence, so brilliant but not without his low moments. love you hoff :'(

i made this video with my friend at the end of 2012. you could fill another 10 mins since then with his crazy goals.

It's a good time to announce it.

Respect where its due even though I've been critical, however it's not his fault he get's selected week in and out

The most genuinely versatile player out of any current player, possibly even of all time. Could play KPF, ruck, wing, spare defender all to AFL standard (i.e. not just pinch hitting).

Mental consistency always his bugbear, but he'll leave the club as a champion which is what he deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the club's website story re Hoff's retirement I linked above Ken said.

Port Adelaide Senior Coach, Ken Hinkley described Westhoff as an exceptional character who will leave a legacy amongst his younger teammates.

“Justin is a quiet and unassuming person who doesn’t say a lot, but every word he utters is important,” said Hinkley.

“He has added value to our side with his ability to play a number of roles, and not once has he complained about being shifted week to week or even mid-game.

“Westy is everything you wish all players could be – selfless, humble and reliable. He’s a true team player.

“He is so well respected and valued by his teammates and everyone associated with the club and it’s a mark of his selfless character that he has elected to make a call now on his future so as to avoid any distraction for the team during finals.”

Last edited:
During the Primus era I had just started coaching, so was given fantastic access to the club and in particular Hocking.

We’d go through the game tape where each player’s contribution was edited and isolated.

Some may remember that a big part of the Primus game plan was called ‘around the world’ where the idea was to switch quickly to the other side (via the backs) to a more open wing, and swing back if that closed up!

Hoff would have to attempt to beat the ball to each wing to make that happen (as he was often the target), the amount of work he had to do compared to the rest of the team was phenomenal!

This was at a time some fans would call him lazy!
he was running more that the rest of the midfield at the time, often at a sprint! This meant he was gassed in some contests.

TLDR:Hoff was never lazy, he just did a lot of hard to notice work.

2007 was my first season as a season ticket holder as a 10 year old. The first season I really remember going to the footy without it seeming a bit hazy. I remember the Hoff’s debut vividly and instantly became my favourite.

Crazy to think I’m now at the stage of remembering players debut and now retire.

Congrats Hoff, been a hell of a ride.

Yeah not sure what happened there. In his first years when he played close to goal he was as reliable from that distance as anyone i can remember

He went from that to being an absolute bombscare anywhere within 30 metres
That Gold Coast game happened 😬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back