Justin Westhoff

Remove this Banner Ad

Enigmatic. Mercurial. Frustrating. Brilliant.

I’ll miss the big doofus. Had a very good career for a tall drafted so late. Had some truly memorable moments.

Favourite moments have to be that goal in Shanghai, and the first goal of the 14 EF to really set the scene that day

Had a look who is left from the 2006 draft, PSD and rookie draft. Hoff was 20 not 18 when drafted.

There are 16 players and 4 rookies still playing from that draft year, but over the last few days Gibbs, Ben Reid, Nathan Brown and the Hoff have announced their retirement. There might be up to 6 others who could retire at the end of this year

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
He's been a great player over a long time for us, it's really sad to see him go. I wish he'd found some form and been able to get involved for this premiership tilt.

Unfortunately, his height has been something of an Achilles heel under Hinkley. He's a tall flanker, not really a traditional KPP, but he's been employed in a key position role for most of his career to the detriment of his performance and our structure. Not his fault at all, but a bit of a missed opportunity during the prime of his career. He was almost unplayable on occasion in that chess queen free roaming role.

Thanks Westy.

images (58).jpeg

NickFlips

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like most people I have some mixed feelings about seeing Justin go. He's been a constant figure at the club for such a long time and yet there's little doubt that his form and age has finally caught up.

He's been through a fair bit. The 2007 grand final disaster at the end of his first year. Two sacked coaches, the tragic death of a teammate. The Hinkley honeymoon period of 2013-14 which saw a return to some form and finals for both Port and Westy. Won the best and fairest in 2018. Has played a role this year in our latest attempt at a premiership.

Has played in every possible position on the park. Forward, back, wing, ruck and has been serviceable if not dominant in each role.

Had the knack to pop up and kick a freakish goal, take a clutch pack mark or make a brilliant tackle whenever we needed it most. Was always at his best in Showdowns, Finals or big games.

All of this while being a father, a husband and a well-loved and respected team man.

Gonna miss ya Humphrey. All the best for the future. You'll always be one of my most loved players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide veteran Justin Westhoff to retire from AFL at end of season

In 2020 Westhoff has kicked 10.7, had 42 hit-outs and 122 disposals and has found himself sidelined for the past three games with coach Ken Hinkley preferring to partner ruckman Scott Lycett with the likes of Charlie Dixon and youngster Peter Ladhams.

But Westhoff goes out of the game as one of the club’s much-loved stalwarts.

In 2018, the 199cm key forward won the club’s coveted John Cahill Medal for the best and fairest player by 17 votes over Tom Jonas.

In his acceptance speech he said: “After 12 years you get on and to be still around and still be relevant in the game and to be standing up here at the moment is pretty humbling.

“It’s a bit of a shock to be up here to be honest.

“I’ve been in the game for 12 years and I’ve finally done something with my career so that’s nice … but we’ve got some young guys coming through and hopefully we’re on to bigger and better things.”

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
That Geelong goal! In a season of epic comebacks I thought for a minute we were gonna do it again.
Was that before or after the Hartlett goal?
I do remember the centre bounce after both which almost fell our way....

From the Barossa, Clare and Gawler News story

Friends and family spoke highly of Port Adelaide utility Justin Westhoff, who, after 280 games and 313 goals for the club, announced his retirement. The boy from Tanunda was picked up by the Power with Pick 71 in the 2006 AFL Draft, before making his debut against Hawthorn in Round 10, 2007, kicking three goals in a losing side.

His dad, Danny, became emotional when speaking to The Advertiser about his son’s career. “We’re pretty proud of him, he’s done really, really for himself playing 14 years of AFL, we can’t speak highly enough of him,” Mr Westhoff said. “The club has been really good, he’s kept the beard all those years and if he shaved it, he’d probably back to that little fella we knew when he first started out.

Mr Westhoff looked back on his draft selection and his John Cahill Medal win a decade later with great pride. “He was pretty late in the draft, there was no real expectation that he’d get picked up,” he said. “A few teams had a bit of a look at him, it was a bit of a thrill … it seems such a long time ago. “He’s been in the top 10 of the best and fairest for quite a few years, he had a ripper season that year. “That was a bloody highlight and his name will be on the board forever.”

Justin Westhoff before the 2006 AFL Draft. Picture: Nicholas Wrankmore.

1600319196783.png

Paul Stewart and Justin Westhoff after the 2006 AFL Draft, where they were selected together.

1600319297407.png

Justin and Matthew Westhoff at Alberton.

1600319339941.png

Justin Westhoff in the Royal Croquet Club with his Forage Supply Co. food truck and co-founder Scott Rogasch. Picture: Calum Robertson

1600319382722.png

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had a look who is left from the 2006 draft, PSD and rookie draft. Hoff was 20 not 18 when drafted.

There are 16 players and 4 rookies still playing from that draft year, but over the last few days Gibbs, Ben Reid, Nathan Brown and the Hoff have announced their retirement. There might be up to 6 others who could retire at the end of this year
Yet one of the few remaining players is a genuine Brownlow contender. Crazy.

Black 18

Club Legend
May 21, 2007
Seacliff
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Congrats on the career, Justin. Will certainly be missed.

Most impressive thing I like about Westhoff is he's such a decent person. At the end of the day the person means so much more than how good you once were at footy - and his absolute best at footy was very good.

Well done on the career and more so the person you now are. Need more men like you, Hoff.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am gonna miss Mr fix it, he was one of my favourites. He could have left for another club but stayed true to Port.
Westy is a real club man, he never complained about being pushed around to where ever he was needed.

Well done Justin on a long career you have had with Port, I admire your loyalty and hopefully you can finish with a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back