Player Watch Jy Simpkin - Elite?

Remove this Banner Ad

csharp

Debutant
Jan 15, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
25 disposals and 7 clearances today. Absolutely destroyed GWS's supposedly "elite" midfield, and seems to have that impeccable vision you see from guys like Sam Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury.

Has Bigfooty underestimated Jy Simpkin?

25 disposals and 7 clearances today. Absolutely destroyed GWS's supposedly "elite" midfield, and seems to have that impeccable vision you see from guys like Sam Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury.

Bigfooty underestimated a lot of our youth. Simpkin, Zurharr and Thomas are going to be stars.

He's never produced consistently enough to warrant a real rap - til Rhyce Shaw arrived.

Since then producing absolutely top shelf footy.

On track to become elite if he keeps this up.

He was my preseason smokey for All Australian.

His decision making is generally very good and his ability to evade tackles is better than almost everyone else in the league. My confidence in his abilities to get the ball moving forward is improving every time he goes in the middle. I think we have a very talented youngster who will be a mainstay of our midfield for the next decade.

His not quite elite at this stage, but he heading that direction with every game.

Elite is subjective, but as the others have gotten better, he also build on those below him and the continued excellence of those above him. Got Goldstein Higgin and Cunnington still in excellent form and the youngsters standing up with foreign imports playing their roles well, Jy is in box seat to be in the elite category as he is the biggest beneficiary of the current setup.

His decision making is generally very good and his ability to evade tackles is better than almost everyone else in the league. My confidence in his abilities to get the ball moving forward is improving every time he goes in the middle. I think we have a very talented youngster who will be a mainstay of our midfield for the next decade.

His not quite elite at this stage, but he heading that direction with every game.

He was a surprise find when he got tried at the center square, used to be a small forward who has been inconsistent, now his mercurial talents can be put to consisten use because he has to use them all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some salt in here from a few of the usual types.

Jy is building on some very good foundations. The highlight to me over his last 12-16 games has been his composure in traffic. The blind handballs that look nice but burn when picked off are reduced, uses his neat side step to make space and find kicks out of the HB line. Looking very good.

Hopefully he turns out better than Dumont, the last player North supporters talked up as elite after playing 4 good games.

Hopefully avoids being a drug cheat like your name sake.

Bigfooty underestimated a lot of our youth. Simpkin, Zurharr and Thomas are going to be stars.

First two are/will be jets. Thomas has done nothing to suggest he’ll get there yet. Doesn’t get his hands on it enough.

Luckily he’s only 19. Certainly has it in him but perhaps hold your horses.

Interesting.

Does Jy Simpkin have a basketball background perchance?

Seems to make time slow down.

Needs to keep it up for a little while longer to have the elite tag tied to him. But second half of last year and the start of this year he has been huge. Buckets of talent.

First two are/will be jets. Thomas has done nothing to suggest he’ll get there yet. Doesn’t get his hands on it enough.

Luckily he’s only 19. Certainly has it in him but perhaps hold your horses.

Turn it up. Thomas has shown plenty to suggest he'll get there. He's not there (yet) though.

Last edited:
I don't really get too involved in the 'elite' discussion stuff, especially on the main board because it inevitably ends up as a dick measuring contest between different fan bases.

All I know and care about is that we've got a really talented player coming through here and he's also got his s**t together off the field. He's going to be a very good player and leader for us for the next decade and beyond.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Was considered as one of the best 16/17 year olds in the country until he had a Nathan Brown style broken leg in the NAB league.

Supreme talent that has put it all together.

Great win from North Melbourne and Jy Simpkin is a fine player, but I hate tags. Goldstein, Higgins and Tarrant will be hard to replace when
they call it quits. They have got some talent coming through though, need to jag some big guys.

Great win from North Melbourne and Jy Simpkin is a fine player, but I hate tags. Goldstein, Higgins and Tarrant will be hard to replace when
they call it quits. They have got some talent coming through though, need to jag some big guys.

Larkey was injured today. Obviously comes straight back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back